Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Notes on high round count shotguns from one of the nation's most popular ranges

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    In my limited experience, the stamped internal parts tend to have burrs and sharp edges, and the machined parts are a bit rough. Cleaning them up can make a noticeable difference in the smoothness of the action. You can probably get the same result by cycling the action a few hundred times and letting the rough bits wear each other down, but the machinist in me winces at that method.
    Completely agree with your comments re: wincing at just cycling the action. That will cause whichever part is softest to wear the most, and that might not be what needs to be worn down.

Very interesting original post, and it certainly tends to dispel some "conventional wisdom" regarding shotguns.

The part about the SPAS-12 being a POS isn't news. As a matter of fact, my buddy Hutch still owes me a new pair of underwear from the time he found out his SPAS-12 safety was actually a secondary trigger when I was downrange.

It's also not a surprise that Benelli rocks.

As far as the pump guns go, I would find this more useful information if it used actual round counts. I shoot a couple hundred shotgun round a year. So if my $250 Mossberg 500 fails after 10,000 rounds, no big deal. If it's a thousand (which I doubt,) maybe I've got a problem.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Completely agree with your comments re: wincing at just cycling the action. That will cause whichever part is softest to wear the most, and that might not be what needs to be worn down.

Very interesting original post, and it certainly tends to dispel some "conventional wisdom" regarding shotguns.
    I'm not personally aware of any widespread significant issues regarding the mossys though. The fit and finish may not be optimal or perfect, but are there any instances of it causing malfunctions etc, other than the occasional random lemon?

Perhaps a bit simple minded, but as someone who doesn't train often with a pump gun, I've taken the approach to just run the action with gusto as an easy but not refined way to avoid short stroking etc.

I seem to remember (2010) that Rogers Shooting School was using Winchester pump shotguns.

I used a 1300 Defender for awhile and loved it. The recoil kind of assists the action and they're very slick. I use a Winchester 1200 for HD in Mexico.

When I took my Rob Haught shotgun class, the Winchester 1300 in the class malf'd due to the push/pull technique.

Site Supporter
    I used a 1300 defender for local shotgun matches for about a year (10ish years ago) and usually placed in the middle of the pack shooting against guys running autos. The only reason I sold it was to buy an 1100 so I could be like the cool kids.

Bump to go with all the recent shotgun threads
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Notes on high round count shotguns from one of the nation's most popular ranges

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by wmb556; 09-19-2017 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Deleted; inadvertent post.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Ironically, the 3rd largest police agency in the USA DID adopt it. I had a chance to speak with one of the members of that agency, and after years of it being approved and issued, no problems had surfaced.
    Can you be specific about what "issues" were found?

I had an 18 inch M4 five years ago, and it was unreliable, with frequent stoppages. I now have a 14 inch M4 and it has been completely reliable.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List