Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keeping the revolver running...

Keeping the revolver running...

Hi all,

I'm currently spending some focused time learning to become proficient with a j-frame and thought I would see if I could mine the great resources here a bit.

My question has to do with reloading the revolver and the rationale behind different strategies and options.

My fiends and I we're runnng a drill today after our skill work which consisted of a timed 45 yard sprint to the 5 yard line where you engage 3 targets side by side. We were using the head box of an IDPA silhouette at 5 Yards as the target. Each target gets two shots in the usual first serving style. As you can imagine I had a reload for my last shot and I was using a speed strip to do it with. I was initially loading the two staggered rounds (2_3 in the 6 shot strip), presenting the revolver, and pulling the trigger until the shot fired. After each evo I was wondering about the best way to handle this as I could just grab a single round and drop it in vs handling the speed strip. To me the best thing to do is feed the revolver with as many rounds as possible but then do you give up time to re-engage? It seems time is your greatest asset and your worst enemy in these situations. My reloads consistently took 6-10 seconds depending on fumbling and that was only with the two rounds. I took many lessons away from the time stress and fine motor skill manipulation.

I have a lot to learn....any suggestions for the reload and in general?

Thanks for your input...

I am not a revolver expert, so what I think probably doesn't matter, but I have never liked speed strips as an immediate emergency reload option. I always use a speedloader for that mission, then have the speed strip as a secondary reload option. I am a big guy, so carrying a speedloader in a pocket is never a big deal. I have a Comp III in my pocket right now.

I know Claude Werner teaches the load what you can and get back to work if you need to thing, so I would say that has some merit. If you haven't picked up his snub DVD's you should. They are pretty cheap.

I carry a Safariland comp 1 in the same pocket as the J, it helps keep the gun in position, and two speed strips in the watch pocket. Its not a problem in Carhartt pockets. Ive not worked with them much, but speed never seemed to really be part of speed strips, unless compared to fishing loose round out of a pocket that had your change, pocket knife, keys and such. I think 5 or 6 rounds alone in a pocket is probably a quicker reload.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-22-2017 at 09:54 PM.

This is how I carry a speedloader in my pocket. I don't fill my pockets with a bunch of crap and EDC items. I keep them pretty spartan. But this is a great way to keep a Comp1 in reserve. It is made by, "Purdy Gear."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I'd run 45 yards to get in a fight with 3 guys armed only with a J frame... Try reversing the drill? 45 yard sprint away from the 3 bad guys then engaging each with a headshot from behind cover?

But seriously...I'm interested in what people recommend for reloading a J frame from a speed strip.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    I don't think I'd run 45 yards to get in a fight with 3 guys armed only with a J frame... Try reversing the drill? 45 yard sprint away from the 3 bad guys then engaging each with a headshot from behind cover?

But seriously...I'm interested in what people recommend for reloading a J frame from a speed strip.
    I've never liked speed loaders. I didn't care for the shape or bulk in the pocket. I've no doubt that in the right hands and with the right firearms they are a better alternative.

That said, I've been carrying Bianchi speed strips since the 80's and am probably on my third or fourth set. When I used to have to qualify with my Model 36 I never failed to load and get my shots off in the time allotted during reload drills. Obviously two chambers at a time doesn't trump all five with a speed loader but it worked for me. (I've always kept the strip loaded with six rounds rather than the two, space, two that some others advocate.)

Definitely not planning on going into a gunfight with the J frame as my primary, however. Its use is relegated to around home and property.
    Last edited by blues; 01-23-2017 at 10:43 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Safariland "split six" with a comp I

Or

Desantis "second six" with hks.

Both are a concealment friend belt carried option.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Back when I carried a revolver as a primary handgun, I carried one or two speed-loaders and 6 rounds in a looped carrier. I found this to be the most workable method to facilitate full or partial loading.

If I were putting a revolver rig together today it would probably utilize JOX pouches and a simple 6 round leather belt slide of some kind.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I have some speed strips for my S&W M13 3" that I used to carry. Speed loaders are much better IMO, but speed strips are wayyy better than loose rounds. I always bought the 7 round strips in case I lost one while reloading.

The J size speedloaders aren't uncomfortable to carry in the Carhartt pockets, even with the gun. Not as good in Levis, but works. Just not as comfortable. I sometimes carry another speedloader in a vest pocket.

I put the gun and speed strips in the location of the pockets.

Name:  0123170922.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  31.8 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-23-2017 at 11:50 AM.

User Tag List