Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Case Against .45 Auto.

The Case Against .45 Auto.

Money talks and bluster walks, so here's the facts.

Using LuckyGunner.com's price data for PMC 9mm & .45 Auto FMJ Ammo,assuming $55 for constant per-month range incidental costs and setting a 1000 rounds per month training goal, we observe a $2,400 difference in annual ammo cost between 9mm and .45 Auto. That can buy a lot of Klondike Bars folks.

The next chart compares what the year end total counts would be , assuming a shooter has a $100.00 per month ammo budget and shoots that from January to December. The mixed chart assumes one shoots 9mm six months out of the year, and then .45 for another six months.

Whether the expense is worth the benefits is a decision each shooter has to make for themselves. But there's no mistaking the data- .45 Auto invokes a decisive resource cost compared to 9mm.

The next topic : applying training costs plus retail price to compute a "Total Firearm Cost" metric.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Money talks and bluster walks, so here's the facts.
    Why are you writing this way - as if you are posting on a blog or something. Very odd.

...Using LuckyGunner.com's price data for PMC 9mm & .45 Auto FMJ Ammo...
    I get what you are trying to show here, but you've not done it very well...
    Essentially you are basing your simple analysis on the cheapest cost for brass 9mm (~$200 per 1000) and the most expensive cost for.45 (~$400 per 1000).

I can get a case of new, std. power brass .45 for $270 (before shipping) all day as can you or anyone else shopping online.

...But there's no mistaking the data- .45 Auto invokes a decisive resource cost compared to 9mm...
    So your analysis shows that shooting a caliber that is more expensive per round ends up costing more? Eureka!
    Last edited by fishing; 01-22-2017 at 01:15 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Shopping pays.

One can buy quality, domestically-produced .45ACP for ~$0.30/rd delivered if one chooses the right stuff from the right place. And prices seem to be trending downward slightly. Doesn't change the sign of the slope, but reduces the magnitude to a level where I'm perfectly happy seeing everybody do whatever they like.

And BTW, even that PMC Bronze is $0.32/rd from the right place.

That's also the place where 9mm HST is $0.40/rd and P45HST1 is $0.50/rd.

One word: reloading. I've got my 9mm cost down to $110/K and .45 auto costs $140/K.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Yeah but can you not...put a price on freedom?

I mean, you can't put a price on freedom. Always be never forgetting that.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by fishing View Post
    Essentially you are basing your simple analysis on the cheapest cost for brass 9mm (~$200 per 1000) and the most expensive cost for.45 (~$400 per 1000).

I can get a case of new, std. power brass .45 for $270 (before shipping) all day as can you or anyone else shopping online.

Ammo data I used were PMC brand brass ammo for both calibers.

What's your source and brand data?
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Ammo data I used were PMC brand brass ammo for both calibers.

What's your source and brand data?
    http://ammoseek.com/ammo/9mm-luger?c...=1000&ca=brass
    http://ammoseek.com/ammo/45acp?co=new&nr=1000&ca=brass

Yes, I did see before my post that you mentioned that you were using PMC pricing from LG. Again, what I am saying is that you (inadvertently or not) skewed the "data" with this selection, making your conclusion even less valuable or informational.

Again, you, I or anyone else who can order ammo online can get blazer brass (comparable to PMC) for example at 9mm-$191/1000 or .45-$270/1000 prior to shipping.

I drive a Crown Vic. It gets 20 mpg around town and 27 mpg highway. Not as economical as a Prius, but I'm comfortable, there's room for my 1911 and my dignity remains intact
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

In general .45 auto ball is about 1.5 x 9mm ball ammo.

Your money your choice.

Why are we getting off the subject of cost of ammo ?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    What "bluster"? Is someone making the argument that .45 is cheaper to shoot? Other than to get us to click, I guess I'm missing the point.

User Tag List