Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading my 642 -questions

I remember the thread from awhile back where you were talking about the rebound slide and the lube came up. I have some regular gun oil but I was just wondering if the Kroil was that much better. Most of the discussions I've read where it comes up are about older larger models that were being rehabbed.
    Anytime you want to go into detail is fine with me, if I was just wanting basics I'd go to some other web site. I feel like a kid in a candy store with all of y'all revolver guys brains here to pick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I put the Apex kit in mine, but it didn't have a Performance Center trigger either.

Also interested in any maintenance schedule suggestions offered.

Always interested.

I am interested in LSP972's insights into lubing a J-frame. I am also interested in a discussion on the merits of Kroil as a lube as I only use it as a penetrating oil and cleaning agent. Since Kroil is toxic and creeps by definition, and a J-frame is a pocket gun, I personally would not use Kroil as a lube on my personal J-frames.

LSP972 I am interested.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Since Kroil is toxic and creeps by definition, and a J-frame is a pocket gun, I personally would not use Kroil as a lube on my personal J-frames.
    Absolutely correct. Very thin oil is useful, but NOT anything like Kroil. And not much... At all. A drop in each rotating pin (trigger, hammer, rebound slide, cylinder catch), two small drops on the yoke barrel- where the cylinder fits over- one drop on the yoke stud.

Well after some more research over at the S&W forum it turns out that my 642 may have had a set of Wulff springs installed at the factory. It sounds like the 'enhanced action' Performance Center work is a quick spring swap on my model. I've always thought it seemed extra smooth compared to any other J's I've handled and that would explain it. It cost more than just a set of springs would have for a regular model but I'm not upset about it because it's also got a really smooth and polished trigger too and no lock and that's worth something right there. So, no spring set, no Kroil, and now I'm checking the tracking on my laser grips every few hours.

"Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic"

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    P.P.S. Can someone shoot me the link for the stainless brush that I've read about for cleaning the cylinders.
    http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...-prod1290.aspx

I guess you know, Eastex, those things will DESTROY titanium cylinders and/or damage alloy cylinders. They are for steel cylinders, period.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I guess you know, Eastex, those things will DESTROY titanium cylinders and/or damage alloy cylinders. They are for steel cylinders, period.

I agree. I use them sparingly on my K-Frames. One pass through each chamber is plenty.

User Tag List