Thread: Checked out a M&P 340

Checked out a M&P 340

Stopped in a gun store on my lunch break and saw one today. Trigger was terrible compared to my 642 but I'm sure that could be fixed. Those sights alone would be worth a chunk of money but combined with the weight makes it a good deal. Not full MSRP $870 good deal but at a reasonable gun store with reasonable prices good deal. I can see why it's so popular.
    P.S Hillarys defeated now, can S&W close off that damn hole now? I dreaded turning it over and sure enough there the damn thing was.

Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic

To me for the price difference between the 642/442 and the 340 the juice aint worth the squeeze. At that price point the trigger should not have to be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    P.S Hillarys defeated now, can S&W close off that damn hole now?
    Mine has the hole, because I bought it from my buddy who hated the hole more than I do and sold it to me to upgrade to one without the hole. I forget the exact savings I realized by suffering with the hole, but I didn't think I would like the things as much as a new one. Now that I like it perhaps I will do the upgrade someday myself...

I bought mine used but it might as well have been new. I think some people like the notion of a pocket .357 then shoot it and move on. I bought mine no-lock for about $540 cash and it had been sitting a bit. I do have to admit that I had the same rationale of wanting a small cannon so that did drive my decision and after shooting it initially it sat in the safe while because I didn't know what to do with it and I couldn't hit a barn with it either.

When I decided to get serious about it, I took it into a revolver smith and had a full action and cylinder job and bought 200 rounds of ammo(.38 Spc.) and an hour of range time and just shot the thing until I developed some semblance of basic proficiency with it...then I popped 800mg of Ibuprofen.

If you could get a decent enough price for it $25 gets an Apex kit and a new trigger job. Have to agree with Camsdaddy though about the trigger, the site is pretty sweet too.

I have the M&P 340 without the lock. I must have gotten lucky because my trigger isn't bad. Also, I dry fired it several hundred times after buying it before taking it to the range. I paid $900 new for my mine including taxes, DROS, fees, etc.

I use it for Pocket-carry and it serves as one of my night stand guns. I really like the sights and it shoots accurately at short range, 7 to 10 yards. I've had best accuracy with Winchester 130 ball and same loading in Federal American Eagle. I carry and have shot the Federal .38 personal defensive 110 grain ammunition and it shoots accurately and to point of aim.

Heavy loads and .357 will slap your hand pretty good. I found the best accuracy and control shooting two-handed. Finally, the cylinder latch is sharp and may cut your fingers. I smoothed the sharp edges off mine.

I'm not a big revolver guy and really like the gun. It is a very practical pistol due to the size, light-weight, and the sights.

I upgraded to a no-lock M&P 340 awhile back. For how much I was carrying my 442 it was worth it to me to get the better sights and scandi frame. I'll never shoot .357 but it's nice to know it's built to handle it. My trigger broke in really nicely after a weekend of dry fire.

User Tag List