Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Repeal the National Firearms Act of 1934

Repeal the National Firearms Act of 1934

Petition up at White House.gov.
    Repeal the NFA | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

(Sorry if it's a dupe, didn't see it up already...)

Edit to add: Also, Repeal the 1986 Hughes amendment | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government
    Last edited by Drang; 01-21-2017 at 07:06 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Signed both. Thanks for making these visible.

IIRC there is a strong case to be made that the Hughes amendment never passed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    IIRC there is a strong case to be made that the Hughes amendment never passed.
    Here ya go. It was an absolute crock of shit.

Wouldn't repealing the NFA be kind of a double-edged sword? I believe there are quite a few states that allow NFA items provided that they're properly registered per federal regulations IAW the NFA, though I could be wrong.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Wouldn't repealing the NFA be kind of a double-edged sword? I believe there are quite a few states that allow NFA items provided that they're properly registered per federal regulations IAW the NFA, though I could be wrong.
    I'm probably being obtuse, but I don't understand...if things go from being regulated to completely unregulated, how does this make state laws more restrictive or create a "double-edged sword" in any regard? If you are concerned that states that followed NFA standards and ban the same items will suddenly be banning things the feds are not, it will likely be even easier to get them unbanned at state level unless you live where libtards have seized total control for foreseeable future. I'm sure I'm over simplifying this one, but sincerely curious. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I'm probably being obtuse, but I don't understand...if things go from being regulated to completely unregulated, how does this make state laws more restrictive or create a "double-edged sword" in any regard? If you are concerned that states that followed NFA standards and ban the same items will suddenly be banning things the feds are not, it will likely be even easier to get them unbanned at state level unless you live where libtards have seized total control for foreseeable future. I'm sure I'm over simplifying this one, but sincerely curious. Thanks!
    I think it comes down to specific wording in various states' laws about the legality of certain Title II firearms. If a state allows ownership of machine guns, but only if they're registered IAW the NFA, and the NFA is repealed, then a resident of that state will no longer be allowed to own a machine gun. Not something to be concerned about in my state, or yours AFAIK, but I've heard this argument from others before. That said, wholesale repeal of the NFA is still something I can get behind.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

I think it comes down to specific wording in various states' laws about the legality of certain Title II firearms. If a state allows ownership of machine guns, but only if they're registered IAW the NFA, and the NFA is repealed, then a resident of that state will no longer be allowed to own a machine gun. Not something to be concerned about in my state, or yours AFAIK, but I've heard this argument from others before. That said, wholesale repeal of the NFA is still something I can get behind.
    That's problem #57.

Problem #1 is selling it to our own group. Yes folks there are gun owners who believe the Constitution doesnt apply to a machine gun trigger group. That's not including the business groups who will lose big when their 30 + year old full auto Uzis and M-16s are revalued as the beat up used gun fodder they are.

Problem #2 is selling "!!Legalized Machineguns!!" to Joe and Jane Q Public. I think we can solve this one by attaching NFA repeal as a rider to Federal weed legalization.

You want the legal tree? Gotta free the Uzi.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Signed both
    Maybe they will get some attention

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I believe TX works that way. They went from "defense to prosecution" (=guilty until you prove yourself innocent in court) to NFA items actually being legal when properly registered a couple years ago, but I believe it still requires them to be NFA registered.

User Tag List