Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Repeal the National Firearms Act of 1934

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the collectors that own the majority of the registered MG's out there are going to take a pretty dim view of the crashing of the value of their investments, which is how most of them honestly look at their collections at this point. Second amendment proclivities aside, they are not going to want to see a influx of stuff entering the market. Suppressors, SBR's and SBS's are different since their list has never been closed, prices have remained steadyish.... But take a look at the current pricing on Registered MG's, At one point I owned a three stamp HK-94 (SBR, Can, Fleming Sear) along with a converted SP-1 Colt, Had to sell them when I got orders back to Cali, but made a decent profit and they funded a bunch of regular pistols and..... Assaulty things. I watched the prices like a hawk though, and even though I support the 2A principal of citizens having the exact same hardware as is available to me as a Infantry Marine I would have taken a very dim view of my two registered MG's going from being worth 30K ish at the time to being worth 3-4 K simply because they reopened the list to new registrations. I feel that most MG collectors will actively resist any efforts to remove Full Auto from the NFA for a purely financial reason.

But.... all about can's and sort semi's, Besides they are the more useful ones anyway, after the first few range trips with your shiny MG the novelty wears off and it becomes a toy that you let others use when you take them to the range, I have a pretty substantial list of guns I've sold or traded and to be honest neither of those two full autos are anywhere near the top of ones I'd like to have again someday.
    Good point, but investments go up and down. If people bought their stock (MGs) high and the value tanks, that's the risk they took. That's assuming that prices will drop though. There is absolutely no guarantee of that. M4 prices would be in the ballpark of similar AR15s, but belt fed MGs will never be within the reach of most gun owners.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I'm personally not worrying about the passing of a just law because someone's investments might tank in value. Sell before the law changes and continue playing lucrative markets.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Glad to see a reasoned discussion about NFA so far.

I think most Americans, if they bothered to learn about the HPA and suppressors in general would think the legislation makes sense. In fact I think it would be difficult for an informed person to come up with a single downside. Sadly most people form their perceptions about firearms (and by extension suppressors) from watching TV and movies.

Removing the restrictions on full auto weapons will probably not have much support from the general population. There are a few narrow parameters which probably make full auto weapons more dangerous in commission of a crime depending on the scenario. And because there is not much benefit for citizens to having full auto other than the fun factor and "don't infringe my 2A rights" I can't see how deregulation will ever have public or governmental support.

It's pretty easy to make the case for the AR15 and similar semi-auto weapons being legal without special licensing. A full-auto Uzi, not so much. For that reason, I am glad the HPA is being proposed as a stand-alone piece of legislation rather than being attached to a more general bill intending to eliminate the broader restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I'm personally not worrying about the passing of a just law because someone's investments might tank in value. Sell before the law changes and continue playing lucrative markets.
    I agree with you that being rid of the NFA altogether would be the just action and that from a theoretical perspective I whole heartedly support it, I'm just stating that expecting the people that own the majority of the civilian held Registered Machine Guns to support doing away with that portion of the NFA is a pipe dream. Most of them will actively resist any efforts to cheapen their possessions, that's just human nature. That's why I support the current actions in regards to the HPA and would further enthusiastically support de listing SBR's and SBS's, thus making NFA only pertain to MG's. After those are off then we could maybe see about MG's but I would want to do it incrementally as The MG collectors, by and large, can be expected to resist even an re-opening of the registration books, and I don't want to see the HPA or easily available SBR's /SBS's scuttled by the MG guy's.

As I said above, I had to sell off all my MG's several years ago when I was re-stationed to Pendleton, so I am no longer directly involved in the market. Plus I made a decent profit off of them when they were sold, and I don't really miss them, but expecting people to take an idealistic stand for something that is largely not in their financial interest's is potentially myopic at best. Maybe it just makes me a bad person..... I don't know.....

I agree, many will prioritize the value of their investments over deleting laws. I just won't lose sleep over a mundane M4's wacky inflated price dropping
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Very true, but the amount of people currently invested in MG's vs the amount of people that would purchase them if the NFA was repealed is probably pretty skewed to the latter, wouldn't you think?

Frankly, and I'm probably in the minority here, I'm not particularly interested in MG's. But, like most, I would like to see suppressors, SBR's, and SBS's removed from the NFA. Not only for the crazy hoops one must jump through to get them, but also the hoops you have to continually jump through once in your possession.

A lot of machine gun owners are all for opening up the registry/repealing the NFA.

I'd be all for repealing the NFA with stiff penalties that are actually enforced, not plea bargained away, for the use of machine guns in the commission of felonious crimes.

I'm not certain that technicals would become a problem. Semi automatic versions of heavy machine guns mounted to a vehicle would be devastating, yet I've never heard of one being used for crime. a technical has the downside of attracting the attention of every law enforcement agency in the tri state area.

Rifles are rarely used in crimes. Handguns are the commonly used firearm in the commission of a crime. If any full auto weapon were to be used in crimes after a repeal of the NFA, it would be machine pistols
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-27-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Signed both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In an ideal situation Id have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could be a fist for punching.

User Tag List