Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good law enforcement skillsets to have?

One of the best skills you can have as an officer is the ability to communicate effectively with the population that you serve. Your mouth can cause you some serious problems or get you out of some sticky situations. Don't be that officer that comes to a scene, talks shit and gets everybody worked up again after the situation has been de-escalated.

When I was in patrol I always kept a carton of Newport Menthol shorts in my duty bag. Everybody in the area I patrolled smoked them.... everyone. That carton of smokes kept plenty of back windows from being kicked out, kept guys out of leg restraints and got me information for reports that I ordinarily wouldn't have received. It was like magic. Stuff like that is part of knowing the area you ride in. The best cops I know aren't high speed low drag type guys. They are the guys that can arrest someone and knows their name, knows their mommas name, knows where they live at and the turd will usually already know that officer by name. With more millenials coming onto my department I don't see much of that anymore. I see officers that would rather text than talk and get to know the area they work.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    With more millenials coming onto my department I don't see much of that anymore. I see officers that would rather text than talk and get to know the area they work.
    Training to talk:
    http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechc...e-conversation
    Last edited by peterb; 01-21-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gskip View Post
    Learn how to write. Good reports means less court.
    Learn how to communicate well. That means listening and speaking.

Policing is a people job and the more you can deescalate stuff the better.
    They will not teach you how to write in the Police or Sheriff's Academy. If you do not have good writing skills and a proper understanding of grammar, spelling, and punctuation then take some remedial writing or English classes. If you become a Policeman in a developed urban or suburban area you will be spending many hours of your day writing reports.

If you are really interested consider requesting a ride along with a local agency and even taking a basic criminal justice course at a local college.

If a decide to pusure a Law Enforcement career there are opportunities almost everywhere right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDevil View Post
    They will not teach you how to write in the Police or Sheriff's Academy.
    In Florida they do. It's a state required block of training in the academy. But I still agree 100% English classes would be a world of help.

Learn to save some of yourself for your wife and kids. You'll be happier and it's a lot cheaper to have one wife instead of one plus two exes. Learn to save for retirement and have an exit plan. It comes quicker than you think and you don't want to be the guy who can't let go.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDevil View Post
    They will not teach you how to write in the Police or Sheriff's Academy. If you do not have good writing skills and a proper understanding of grammar, spelling, and punctuation then take some remedial writing or English classes. If you become a Policeman in a developed urban or suburban area you will be spending many hours of your day writing reports.

If you are really interested consider requesting a ride along with a local agency and even taking a basic criminal justice course at a local college.

If a decide to pusure a Law Enforcement career there are opportunities almost everywhere right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    In Florida they do. It's a state required block of training in the academy. But I still agree 100% English classes would be a world of help.
    It's pretty funny because I enjoy writing, (generally), and am capable in that arena...but within my first agency which had very strict standards that every report had to follow, I was admonished for not writing reports in "terse, telegraphic language".

When I lateraled to the U.S. Customs Service there were no such rigid rules of format and language. It was like being released from prison early for good behavior.

Just make sure you word your reports in such a way that they will not be at odds with your testimony on the stand. Nothing worse than having your own words used to put the lie to your testimony under oath. Talk about being hoist with one's own petard.
    Last edited by blues; 01-22-2017 at 08:43 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It's pretty funny because I enjoy writing, (generally), and am capable in that arena...but within my first agency which had very strict standards that every report had to follow, I was admonished for not writing reports in "terse, telegraphic language".

When I lateraled to the U.S. Customs Service there were no such rigid rules of format and language. It was like being released from prison early for good behavior.

Just make sure you word your reports in such a way that they will not be at odds with your testimony on the stand. Nothing worse than having your own words used to put the lie to your testimony under oath. Talk about being hoist with one's own petard.

Gee, blues, I never would have guessed that you enjoy writing - LOL. Speaking for myself, you've been a interesting "read" ever since you arrived here. I'll bet your reports were classics.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Gee, blues, I never would have guessed that you enjoy writing - LOL. Speaking for myself, you've been a interesting "read" ever since you arrived here. I'll bet your reports were classics.
    To paraphrase the old chameleon...It depends on what the meaning of the word 'classics' is.

Thank you, though, either way.
    Last edited by blues; 01-22-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Have a good grasp of the English language. I can't tell you how many reports I deny that have bad English, as in I dont know how they graduated high school bad. Also, be able to articulate yourself well. It will help with Defensive Action reports which will be reviewed by your chain-of-command and, if the situation is bad enough, a lawyer for a plaintiff you dealt with. It also helps in court as your reports are usually exhibit A. You dont want to look stupid in front of a jury, judge, attorneys, and the people in the gallery. Once an attorney makes you look stupid in front of other attorneys its like blood in the water for other attorneys in other cases you have pending. It doesn't look pretty at all. I saw this happen recently with one of my guys. Everyone in the courtroom, except him, thought he looked foolish.

Patience for those you work with as well as the people you will deal with. More so for the people you work with...

A command presence. It will come with time. Its funny to see a newer officer handle calls...especially with a real pain in the ass complainant. People will smell the "rookie" on a new officer and they will try use it to their advantage. They dont try that shit with older officers.

Learn as many suspect control techniques as you can. The sooner the better. You dont need to be in a situation trying to apply that minimal stuff they teach in basic school. Its called "basic" for a reason and its usually just enough to get you knee deep in shit with no rope to pull yourself out.

Driving classes. OMG driving class. As an FTO and supervisor I have to ride with people for various reasons. They scare me. Good driving habits are a must.

Im sure there are more but this is a quick list off the top of my head.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 01-22-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Be slow to anger and act decisively.

User Tag List