Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Good law enforcement skillsets to have?

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    One of the best skills you can have as an officer is the ability to communicate effectively with the population that you serve. Your mouth can cause you some serious problems or get you out of some sticky situations. Don't be that officer that comes to a scene, talks shit and gets everybody worked up again after the situation has been de-escalated.
    This, so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipster View Post
    Curiosity. A good cop always is always looking for the criminal. It's in his blood. He can't help but seek out the wrong in the world.

Compassion. I routinely choke up. I'm not weak. I simply hate seeing bad things happen to good people. Don't lose it. It's what makes us better than them.

Confidence. You have to have faith in yourself. That no matter the what, you're the who. You may not the strongest, fastest, or best shot but you'll still win the fight. Somehow, someway.

Everything else you can learn.
    I like this post very much. Reminds me of the training I was once told Marine recruits got in the second half of the Pacific island campaign. Marines were being lost faster than they could be replaced, so basic training was abbreviated to (a) legends and lore of the Corps; (2) drill, and (3) riflery. In other words, (a) "What I'm expected to live up to"; (b) instant obedience, and (3) "What I'm here for".

I very much appreciate it when somebody has the insight to paint vast panoramas in their two or three essential colors. Chipster did that.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    This is really what I was looking for, good link!

I have seen plenty of excellent advice. One that may have not yet been specifically mentioned: Lay a good foundation, long before the application process, by minimizing debt. Many otherwise good applicants have too much debt, which can be seen as being more susceptible to being tempted to accept a bribe, or to be tempted to steal. No matter how good or bad your credit score, a significant amount of debt is a red flag, so avoid it, or pay it down before applying.

Try to complete your degree before beginning an LE career. The reality of night/evening patrol can be too much fatigue to study, especially if parenting is added to the equation. That which is read/learned while on an energy drink is not retained very well, compared to that read/learned while well-rested. Trying to read/study while parked somehwere, while on patrol, is probably a violation of policy, and can make one susceptible to being ambushed.

The best rookies that I have seen, cycling through our field training program, typically have a college degree, plus some amount of life experience outside academia, before being hired. This life experience can be military, but it can be anything that involves dealing with a wide range of people, especially managing people. Plus, I do believe there is truth to the idea that the male adolescent brain is not mature until one's late twenties. (I am not saying that younger folks should not become officers; self-discipline and an open mind can counter-balance youth.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-25-2017 at 11:35 AM.

User Tag List