Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 200: CTT Solutions Marksmanship Evaluation Course (MEC)

Gabe,

You're welcome, thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by SLG; 01-22-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Lawman 115 plus P ammo.
    You too now with this? GJM still owes me proof for his claim

Joking aside, is this CleanFire?

ETA: Actually, would you be willing to just post a picture of the flap of the box that has the bullet weight and such printed on it? I'm not trying to be an ass; I'm legitimately trying to track down this mythical "+P" version of the 115gr vanilla (not CleanFire) Lawman.
    Last edited by GRV; 01-22-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    You too now with this? GJM still owes me proof for his claim

Joking aside, is this CleanFire?

ETA: Actually, would you be willing to just post a picture of the flap of the box that has the bullet weight and such printed on it? I'm not trying to be an ass; I'm legitimately trying to track down this mythical "+P" version of the 115gr vanilla (not CleanFire) Lawman.
    It is not cleanfire. Chuck Haggard commented on it when we shot together on Friday...I had no idea it is hard to find, but he said it is a unicorn. It is my standard training ammo.
    Last edited by SLG; 02-20-2017 at 11:32 PM. Reason: spelling typos

It was such an awesome experience, albeit humbling, to shoot with three great shooters like SLG, Chuck, and other Dood (who was super cool). I felt like a kid sitting at the adult table at Thanksgiving for the first time. Not only was the company terrific, I got to play with some cool toys, get some incredibly helpful tips so I can stop sucking at running a pistol, and laughed a lot.

I hadn't shot Mike's test since his class on Labor Day, so it was good to revisit it. Just please don't anyone tell him I shot a lower score than I did at his class!

Thank you SLG for setting it up, and Chuck and other Dood being willing to put up with me. I can't wait to do it again.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Cecil is no slouch, he's just being nice so I don't Ezekiel him again ��

I shot this test yesterday. CZ Shadow USPSA Production rig
    Total points - 192. - 4C's, however, I failed the Bill Drill - my time was 2.9sec (!). So it is Sharpshooter
    I believe the times for this test are very forgiving unlike in Gabe's standards. So I decided to try to shoot it as clean as possible and, as a result, I shot it very conservatively, still beating the times with a good margin... Except the Bill Drill. I really wanted to shoot it clean and I did but it took 2.9Sec. After that I realized that it was not going to be the expert run and relaxed and got sloppy with all 4 C's I got.
    I shot a few Bill drills from different distances after the test and realized that I could not shoot it clean on demand from that distance in 2.5 sec. There is a good chance of dropping a few points which is a not a big deal for this test I guess...
    Last edited by cheby; 01-23-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Cecil is no slouch, he's just being nice so I don't Ezekiel him again ��
    Once is enough!
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Once is enough!
    Ha! That will be the day. I'll have to retire if I ever get you in an Ezekial...or anything else.

I shot this a few times. Fun course.

On all of them, equipment was a Gen3 G34 (not legal for this course, but I don't care, that's what I carry), concealed in a Keeper under a polo shirt. Mag pouches were JMCK AIWB pouches with the high-ride option. Magazines are all G17 mags with OEM +2 extensions. Ammo was American Eagle 124 grain on the third run, and I can't remember if it was the same ammo or Lawman 124 grain on the first two.

I shot the first two runs about a week and a half ago, right before I got sick, which has had me pretty well laid out since then. The third run I shot this morning when I still thought I would be able to return to work today (umm no.)

---

First Attempt
    Level 1 Expert – C (I think that's right, no concealment bonuses used...)
    Times: 1.06/1.10, 1.43/1.42, 3.11/3.25, 1.96/2.05, 2.32, 2.35/2.33, 3.17/2.90
    This was a cold attempt and my first try on this particular test. The dropped points were stupid. I had time to aim, I just was being a spaz and didn't really have my mind focused enough on aiming. I took about an hour like you are supposed to and did some other stuff, while silently warning the test that I had its number now...that being a fast enough draw to have a ton of time to aim carefully and still be under the par...

---

Second Attempt
    Level 1 Distinguished Expert – C
    Times: 1.12/1.16, 1.49/1.47, 3.05/3.02, 2.02/2.12, 2.39, 2.14/2.17, 3.45/3.17
    Maxed it, yay! This is the thing with par time tests – how do the times shake out for the individual shooter? I personally have a lot of time to aim and fire conservatively since it is such a draw-heavy test. To me, this wasn't truly a cold attempt since I had just done it a bit earlier.

---

Third Attempt
    Level 1 Expert – C
    Times: 1.13/1.19, 1.49/1.52, 3.05/3.01, 1.85/1.87, 2.29, 2.21/2.19, 3.40/3.09
    This is the one I feel by far the best about, given the different circumstances for all three. I've been out sick for a week and thought I was going back to work this morning, went by the range first and shot this, but by the end I still felt so crumby, there was no way and went back home instead. So it was a true cold run, REALLY cold since no shooting for a week and a half, plus I was sick. I did dry practice a bit yesterday when I was feeling ok, so there is that. And it is a nice warm indoor range where I am very comfortable because it is where I shoot all the time, so I did have those (pretty significant) things going for me.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

OK lets get the excuses and disclaimers out of the way first. I used my dot gun for this because it is what I carry 90% of the time. If that make it not legal, that is fine. I wanted to shoot it again with my 1911, but it was too cold. The temperature itself wasn't too bad at 25 degrees, but with a strong wind added in I was having problems with the cold. I was wearing five layers and gloves which slowed me down considerably. Typically if it is under 40 I also switch from AIWB to OWB which is what I did here. Most of my dry work is done from AIWB so when I add concealment to OWB I am not as quick. On the issue of the RDS, once it gets out to ten yards like this test the dot helps me out in both speed and accuracy. Inside 7 yards it slows me down, so this type of test for me it is a help normally.

Gear; G17 MOS with Vortex Viper, Blade Tech OWB holster. Kuhl down jacket as concealment.

Stage 1 3.36 seconds, all A's
    Stage 2 4.12 seconds, all A's
    Stage 3 7.17 seconds, all A's
    Stage 4 5.49 seconds, all A's
    Stage 5 3.68 seconds, all A's
    Stage 6 6.66 seconds, all A's
    Stage 7 8.94 seconds, all A's

So point wise I did just fine. Speed wise, well could have used a sun dial as opposed to a shot timer. I did work my Bill drill at ten yards a number of times after the test but the best I could manage was a 2.99. My slowest point remains the draw to first shot.
    Last edited by MVS; 01-28-2017 at 11:22 AM.

User Tag List