Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 200: CTT Solutions Marksmanship Evaluation Course (MEC)

Week 200: CTT Solutions Marksmanship Evaluation Course (MEC)

Week 200: CTT Solutions Marksmanship Evaluation Course (MEC)

Results may be posted until February 20th, 2017.

Designed by: Mike Pannone, CTT Solutions
    Range: 10 yards
    Target: Three USPSA Metric
    Start Position: Varies, see below
    Rounds Fired: 40

Mike Pannone has created an exciting new test – let's try it out and see how we can do! Many thanks to JohnO for introducing our forum to it!

Test Protocols:

Level 1/Level 2/Level 3 by cumulative time per course of fire and Distinguished Expert/Expert/Sharpshooter/Marksman by score

• Course is shot cold and cannot be attempted within 1 hour of first attempt or more than 2 times in one day.

• All strings begin from holster with hands relaxed at sides; target is standard USPSA Metric @ 10 yards with 30” edge to edge. A, C and D zone hits in the body are scored as per USPSA minor (A=5 points, C = 3 points, D = 1 point.) A/B heads are counted as D’s unless called prior

• Expert 180-200 (90-100%), Sharpshooter 170-179, Marksman 150-169 (Level 1/2/3 times posted)

• Lowest level on any one string is highest level that can be achieved.

• Misses and procedurals (improper start position, sequence, number of rounds fired) asses a 10-point penalty.

• Extra shots will be subtracted from the A-zone along with the 10-point penalty

• Duty holsters with Level 2 retention subtract .25 closed top duty magazine pouches subtract.25 seconds

• Concealment
    o Subtract .25 seconds for every action from concealment. -.25 for draw, -.25 for reload.
    o No IDPA/fishing/photo vests
    o Must have factory slide to frame dimensions *no long-slide guns, no comps
    o Holsters and pouches must be specifically designed for concealment use

• Distinguished Expert (Level 1 only and no handicap for concealment but annotated as Distinguished Expert-C) 200 points with every individual time met per string (not just cumulative time)

Course of Fire:

Stage 1
    1-shot draw
    1.50/2.00/3.00
    Time
    String 1: ________________
    String 2: ________________
    Total: __________________
    3.00/4.00/6.00 sec total
    (Combined times cannot exceed above)

Stage 2
    Pair from holster
    1.70/2.20/3.20
    Time
    3.40/4.40/6.40 sec total

Stage 3
    Shot, slide-lock reload while taking a knee, shot
    3.50/4.00/5.00
    Time
    String 1: __________________
    String 2: _________________
    Total: ____________________
    7.00/8.00/10.00 sec total

Stage 4
    Pairs from holster strong hand only
    2.50/3.00/5.00
    Time
    5.00/6.00/10.00 sec total

Stage 5
    Bill Drill
    2.50/3.00/4.00
    Time
    String 1: _________________
    Total: ___________________
    2.50/3.00/4.00 sec total
    (Times cannot exceed above)

Stage 6
    2 tgts. – 2 rds. each
    2.35/2.85/4.00
    (Shot left to right, then right to left)
    Time
    4.70/5.70/8.00 sec total

Stage 7
    3 tgts. 2 rds. each with 180 pivot
    (Shot left to right, then right to left)
    3.50/4.00/5.00
    Time
    String 2: _______________
    Total: _________________
    7.00/8.00/10.00 sec total

Additional references:

Score Sheet

Mike Pannone demonstrating the CTT MEC at Level 1 Expert
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/oug2de3htr...final.mov?dl=0

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (gun, holster, magazine pouch, concealment if applicable, any equipment variations from the official rules)
    Level you shot (remember this is related to your times – Level 1, Level 2, Level 3)
    Scoring level you shot (remember this is related to your points – Distinguished Expert, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman)
    Times on each string (13 total)
    Total number of points out of 200 possible
    Anything you noticed

---

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Shot this today with Chuck and Cecil and a shooting partner. Per Pannone scoring protocol, I shot sharpshooter. I actually shot everything at the expert level except the bill drill stage. Now that I have shot it once and understand the scoring, I am confident I will shoot the bill drill at expert level as well. I actually went pretty slow on the whole course to shoot as many a's as possible, but it was not necessary to go that slow. Cost me the bill drill.

Anyway, fun test, I'll likely do it again, just to say I did.

For a comparison, cecil shot this with Pannone at a class. Pannone also shot it at sharpshooter level, but I have no doubt that he can normally shoot it ar expert level. He is a master class shooter.

eta: G17 from JMCustom AIWB. AIWB mag pouch. Shot from concealment.

Shot level 1 and expert except for the bill drill which was slightly over time.
    Last edited by SLG; 01-22-2017 at 04:41 PM. Reason: more info per Gabe's post.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Shot this today with Chuck and Cecil and a shooting partner. Per Pannone scoring protocol, I shot sharpshooter. I actually shot everything at the expert level except the bill drill stage. Now that I have shot it once and understand the scoring, I am confident I will shoot the bill drill at expert level as well. I actually went pretty slow on the whole course to shoot as many a's as possible, but it was not necessary to go that slow. Cost me the bill drill.

Anyway, fun test, I'll likely do it again, just to say I did.

For a comparison, cecil shot this with Pannone at a class. Pannone also shot it at sharpshooter level, but I have no doubt that he can normally shoot it ar expert level. He is a master class shooter.

Any one who can shoot distinguished expert is likely a top 16 guy. Probably top 5.
    Now I think I understand what it means by "Lowest level on any one string is highest level that can be achieved". For some reason I was having problems grasping that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Now I think I understand what it means by "Lowest level on any one string is highest level that can be achieved". For some reason I was having problems grasping that. Thanks.
    Yeah, it is very confusing to read, but really clear when it is explained to you. Cecil had done it with Pannone at a class and was very familiar with it.

Cool to see you guys shooting this!

I have been so sick for a week that my brain is not braining and I formatted the Report Your Results part as one big ugly block. Hopefully this will be a little more legible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (gun, holster, magazine pouch, concealment if applicable, any equipment variations from the official rules)

Level you shot (remember this is related to your times – Level 1, Level 2, Level 3)

Scoring level you shot (remember this is related to your points – Distinguished Expert, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman)

Times on each string (13 total)

Total number of points out of 200 possible

Anything you noticed
    Lord of the Food Court

We wrote all the times and stuff down, but I tossed that page when we were done yesterday.

Maybe I'll do it again later today or tomorrow and record it all. Hopefully with the Bill drill falling into line. :-)

Btw, I only meant to correct my bad formatting. People don't always post every single thing when they shoot these drills of the week and it is fine by me if that helps facilitate their participation.

Would of course love to hear more details if you do end up shooting it again.
    Lord of the Food Court

I shot this again today. I'll add details later when I can.

I also edited my first post to remove my thoughts about having to be a top 16 or top 5 shooter to shoot it clean. I bet there are at least a few guys here who can.

So...I'm a little embarrassed by today's shooting, but I'm going to post it anyway. I also have it all on video, and may put a link up at some point in the future.

Weather today was 36 degrees, with wind it was 26. The video has screenshots of the weather, so if I'm off, it is only by a degree one way or the other. My hands were cold, and only got worse. After this drill (test?) I tried to move on to Gabe White's standards, and my hands were too cold to safely do so, so I called it a day.

I shot from concealment, with a JM Custom AIWB and AIWB mag pouch. G17, with Lawman 115 plus P ammo.

Points were 186. 33 A's and 7 C's.

In order of the stages, my times were: 2.54, 3.07, 6.13, 4.07, 2.61, 4.79, 6.32.

I failed to make the top tier on two of those strings. :-(

Notes: It was cold. I hate to say that again, but it really was. On many of the strings, I fumbled my draw. On the 2 targets 2 rounds, where I failed to make the time, I had a really bad fumble. It is what it is.

On the Bill drill, I knew what I needed to do to make the time, but I didn't actually tell myself what to do on that string, and so I shot it too slow, trying to guarantee all A's. I knew not to do that, as I needed the speed, not the A's, but from my vantage point at the ten yard line, I thought I had all A's and I wanted to try for the Distinguished Expert. That was a mistake, both in my remembrance of the rules, as well as in point of fact for my performance.

Next time, I intend to push on the Bill, and not worry about all A's, since I have room to spare on the points, but not the speed. Also, I intend to shoot it either indoors, or outdoors when it is warmer:-)

My only saving grace, is that this test, shot today, really drives home the point I have always tried to make with shooting. The reason you want high technical skills is not to fool yourself into thinking your draw speed matters off of the range. It is because the higher your skill, the better you can cope with adversity, whether that is weather or something else. If I could barely make these times and points under nice conditions, I certainly would not have done as well today.

Also, for GJM's sake, my first draw of the day, on string one of this test, was a 1.26 with an A hit. That is right where I normally am for a cold draw. Sometimes a bit slower like the other day (1.37) sometimes a bit faster like the day before (1.14). I should also mention that GJM and I spoke yesterday and today, and we have settled our differences. This draw time was mentioned in the spirit of providing truly cold, on demand performance data.

SLG, three things:

First, I really enjoyed this extensive report! Deep diving into these kind of details is one of the greatest things about PF's orientation toward defensively-focused technical shooters. Thank you.

Second, I'm overjoyed to hear you and GJM have settled your differences.

Third, I couldn't agree more with your paragraph below. That's pretty much exactly how I feel about it, even coming from the pure private citizen perspective. Maybe I shouldn't say 'even' and instead should say 'especially'? Since I'm not gonna have experience, because it simply isn't my role in life, at least I can be good. Hopefully so good that there is plenty left when Real Life comes to tax the crap out of my skills.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    My only saving grace, is that this test, shot today, really drives home the point I have always tried to make with shooting. The reason you want high technical skills is not to fool yourself into thinking your draw speed matters off of the range. It is because the higher your skill, the better you can cope with adversity, whether that is weather or something else. If I could barely make these times and points under nice conditions, I certainly would not have done as well today.
    Lord of the Food Court

User Tag List