Page 76 of 79 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast

Thread: The new Wilson Combat EDC X9

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    A nice gentlemen let me try his EDC X9 tonight. I liked it more than a little bit. Very tempting.

If Wilson Combat introduces a full-size model, I'm all-in.
    are you getting one?

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    are you getting one?
    I had been keen to, and I might still, but right now I'm on pause. The more I saw of that magwell execution (and I think you had pointed that out to me in another thread), the less I liked it. The full size isn't quite the execution I was expecting. I'd like to see and handle one in real life before I place an order.

I'll also admit the Beretta 92X announcement also peaked my interest, and in some ways scratches the same itch (full size SA 9mm), and there are only so many discretionary gun dollars...
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 05-22-2019 at 09:42 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I shot a pistol drills course on Saturday, and the instructor (a friend) let me shoot his EDC X9. I had heard one guy say that he thought the recoil was "snappy", but otherwise, most everything I'd heard about it was very positive. I was shooting my P30 and then took his Wilson, and ran a full mag, and I was amazed at how nice it shot! I've never shot a 9mm 1911, but this thing was super accurate, and flat shooting; he then told me the rounds were +P, which made it even more amazing. I'd never held or shot one, and it was amazing! The 5" model must feel like a 380.

As nice as it was, can I justify spending $3K+ on one...probably not, but I understand why someone would! Well done WC.

So the ugly magwell install is also more expensive, and irreversible? My X9 will certainly not go in for the "upgrade"

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I like what I see from the EDC X9, but I am going to stay on the sidelines for now. I want to see if this platform reaches critical mass before I purchase one. There is too much proprietary about it to commit to a large expense. For what one of the EDC X9 costs, one can fully commit to the PX4CC platform with multiple pistols, extra magazines, holsters, spare parts, etc. With the price tag that WC is asking, buying into a platform with a modified magazine and custom parts is a decision best delayed until I see how the market reacts.
    I wrote those words a little more than two years ago. As stated, I wanted to see how the market reacted before I decided to adopt a new carry platform. Yesterday I reached out to my not-so-local WC dealer (a friend who lives outside DFW) and committed to this. It has a naked stainless slide and a gold bead front sight. For some very specific reasons, including the fact that I do not like the light protruding past the muzzle, I went with the non-railed frame. If the system proves to me what I expect, I will purchase two more. The features on those may change based on what I learn by shooting this one.

I should get this in December as I am paying by liquidating some of my unused pistols, including a couple 1911-pattern pistols, with my dealer friend. I am liquidating enough to pay for all three EDC X9 pistols I foresee buying. While I have the funds to purchase outright, my safe is full of pistols that have not seen the light of the range in close to a decade. As such, my conscience (my safe) would not allow me to add three more pistols unless I made room.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I wrote those words a little more than two years ago. As stated, I wanted to see how the market reacted before I decided to adopt a new carry platform. Yesterday I reached out to my not-so-local WC dealer (a friend who lives outside DFW) and committed to this. It has a naked stainless slide and a gold bead front sight. For some very specific reasons, including the fact that I do not like the light protruding past the muzzle, I went with the non-railed frame. If the system proves to me what I expect, I will purchase two more. The features on those may change based on what I learn by shooting this one.

I should get this in December as I am paying by liquidating some of my unused pistols, including a couple 1911-pattern pistols, with my dealer friend. I am liquidating enough to pay for all three EDC X9 pistols I foresee buying. While I have the funds to purchase outright, my safe is full of pistols that have not seen the light of the range in close to a decade. As such, my conscience (my safe) would not allow me to add three more pistols unless I made room.
    Cool. December? Excruciating.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Cool. December? Excruciating.
    Nah, the time will fly by. I am quite busy, and I have a lot (too many) of other pistols to shoot. Not to mention, patience is supposed to be a virtue or something like that.

I'm going to say I'm not a fan of the "X" pattern on the front and backstraps. I wish it was checkered for more grip. It was raining the other day, and I did a little fooling with stuff (RMR primarily) and I just didn't have the grip in the wet like it did with my Wiley Clapp Colt

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I'm going to say I'm not a fan of the "X" pattern on the front and backstraps. I wish it was checkered for more grip. It was raining the other day, and I did a little fooling with stuff (RMR primarily) and I just didn't have the grip in the wet like it did with my Wiley Clapp Colt
    The "X" traction treatment is a concern of mine. I like 20 lpi checkering as it really anchors the pistol in the hand even with a compromised grip. 25 lpi is almost as good for me. 30 lpi is no better than stippling or serrations for me. I also find 30 lpi too delicate and end up with flattened diamonds.

I'm definitely a sharp 20lpi guy, too. Thankfully, the X9 grips are grippy, but I grip with alot of front-to-back pressure
    Last edited by theJanitor; 06-29-2019 at 12:52 PM.

User Tag List