Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealable pistol mounted lights

Concealable pistol mounted lights

While, well, I suppose you could call them "duty-sized" weapon mounted lights, such as the Streamlight TLR-1 and Surefire X300 have been around for a while, smaller, more easily concealable lights have not been as available up to now. Seems like the situation is changing though, with several options in the market. But are any of them really suitable for concealed carry?

• There is the Olight Valkyrie. Cheap, bright, but about zero support from holster makers, and at least one YouTube-reviewer reports breaking the mounting bracket in every light he tried. Definitely sounds like not suitable for serious use.
    • Inforce APL used to suffer from an auto-ejection problem, but they've released a second version which changes the mounting method. Is this version good to go? I have extremely limited amount of handling one but I liked the user interface.
    • Surefire XC1 should be a quality light, since one thing Surefire is known for is the quality of their products. But some people are reporting these lights are failing in use. Constant on sounds like it would the tricky, especially left-handed?
    • Crimson Trace Rail-Master. For some reason I really haven't read a lot about these? 100 lumens is not a whole lot of light. The user interface doesn't sound too great (to me, that is) when compared to some of the competition.
    • I know I'm forgetting at least one option out there...

What do you guys with more actual experience with these smaller lights say? Is there such a thing as the Glock 19 of narrower, concealed carry weapon lights? Or do they all have some significant problem?

None of them are spectacular, imo. I have been using the Inforce for for a while, and it had worked out very well. Both on a 40 and a 9mm. I carry it in a JM Custom holster, and it works really well.

I recently switched to a tlr2 hl g, and am working on a holster for it as well. I am not sure if I can carry it as easily as the inforce, but it is a much more capable light. 800 lumens and the greennlaser, plus excellent switching.

I like the inforce switching a lot, but the TLR though different, is every bit as good. I much prefer both of them to any surefire switching options, though as a long time surefire fan, it has been hard to branch out for me.
    Last edited by SLG; 01-20-2017 at 04:47 PM.

I dislike the Streamlight switching myself. Apparently my brain doesn't do "clockwise", when I push down on a button on one side I want the same thing to happen as when I push down on a button on the opposite side.

So I take it the Inforce actually works? Which version do you have?

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Switching can be a personal thing, but I also think that how you look at the function of the light matters. I too used to dislike the streamlight switching and prefer ed the surefire switching.

I have old in force and new inforce. Old did auto eject from a 1911 for me one time. New has never had an issue on a g22 or a g17 or 19.

As far as theory of duty size vs cc sized lights, I look at it differently. I want the capability of the duty light, and I will try to make my holster accomdate it. It may not work, but I will exhaust all options to carry a duty light vs. Trying to decide which cc light is best.

Shot Show is here. Rail mounted TLR-6

Red laser only, but still cool we're moving in that direction.

SLG, since you were a bit coy last time I mentioned Shot Show in this context.....have you had a chance to play with the new rail-mounted TLR-6 behind the scenes? There are a couple of reasons I'm not seriously considering it, but I'm still curious if anyone has experience with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    but I also think that how you look at the function of the light matters.
    Can you expand on that? I'm in the same boat at Tony on strongly preferring surefire switching, but I'd be interested in being talked out of that or finding a new perspective.
    Last edited by GRV; 01-20-2017 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    Shot Show is here. Rail mounted TLR-6

Red laser only, but still cool we're moving in that direction.

SLG, since you were a bit coy last time I mentioned Shot Show in this context.....have you had a chance to play with the new rail-mounted TLR-6 behind the scenes? There are a couple of reasons I'm not seriously considering it, but I'm still curious if anyone has experience with it.
    I have one one the way from before SHOT, but the production ones won't be available for a week or two more. I'm looking forward to checking it out, but it doesn't really fit my paradigm.

If I was coy, it likely had to do with the XC-2, as I was asked not to talk about it till they released it.
    Last edited by SLG; 01-20-2017 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    XC-2
    *Goes to Google*

(That's been in my search bar for weeks, but I didn't pay attention the last few days!)

ETA: Wow. This is a lot more convincing to me, despite the still red laser only.

Any experience with the XC-2?
    Last edited by GRV; 01-20-2017 at 07:19 PM.

FourSevens supposedly just released a new pistol light at SHOT. I got a teaser email but haven't seen details.

Edit: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....l-weapon-light
    Last edited by peterb; 01-20-2017 at 07:26 PM.

Inforce has a light that released at shot that is the size of the xc1.. thats what I attend on using when it gets tested a little bit. Think a gen 2 apl mini
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 01-20-2017 at 07:24 PM.

User Tag List