Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New here, looking for advice on choosing a carry gun/HD gun combo

New here, looking for advice on choosing a carry gun/HD gun combo

Hello everyone, just joined the forum. Have browsed on here quite a bit before.

I'm relatively new to pistols, have only been shooting for about a year and a half. I've been carrying for most of that time.
    From everything that I've read/heard, it's best to stick to one manual of arms or "platform" for your primary carry and HD firearm combo.

Here's what I've tried:

DAO Striker-Fired: Glock 17/Shield 9mm: Sold both, I shot the Glock OK but never really felt like it fit me well. I shot the Shield better but then wanted to explore revolvers.
    Revolvers: 686+ 4"/642: The 686+ is still my primary HD but I stopped carrying the j-frame as it was uncomfortable IWB and I couldn't pocket carry it.

I shoot both really well, and will keep them for my wife who also is very accurate with them and likes them. I want to move back to semi-autos for myself for more capacity.

I've since been pocket-carrying an LCP, which is about my limit for pocket carry. I tried a Kahr CM9 but that was too big.
    I have been looking into AIWB as a way to carry a larger caliber with more capacity than the LCP.

I'm pretty set on 9mm, and would like to pick a new carry/HD combo with the same manual of arms to train with.
    I have spent several days at the range trying out different full-size 9mm: Glock 17, M&P 9, Sig P226, FN, Ruger, and a Beretta 92FS.

Out of all of them, I liked/shot the 92FS the best closely followed by the SIG.
    Lots of research into DA/SA has had me leaning towards a 92FS/PX4 Storm or comparable SIG combo. I'm used to the long and heavy DA trigger pull from shooting revolvers.

I know that the basic answer is "whichever you are most consistently accurate and comfortable with," but am wondering what everyone's opinions are on which gun to choose first - carry or HD?

Would you pick your carry gun, and choose the HD gun to match that platform, or the other way around?

Also, how do I change my avatar on this site?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blenderson View Post
    Also, how do I change my avatar on this site?
    Warm welcome from Tampa.

Click on "settings" in the upper right, then on "Edit Avatar". It will be looking for a 125 x 125 or 64 kbyte image. Some folks find it handy to resize their own prior to uploading.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blenderson View Post

Would you pick your carry gun, and choose the HD gun to match that platform, or the other way around?
    I'm pretty new to shooting, but I'll give you my 0.02 anyway.

I believe any good carry gun will function fine as a HD weapon. So my thought would be to purchase a good compact pistol, first, if funds were limited.

From your post sounds like a PX4 DA/SA would fit the bill for you. There is a fairly lengthy thread on the PX4 Storm compact by Mr. Ernest Langdon, who posts fairly often on this forum.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....DA-SA-Glock-19

Good luck on your choice!

rich

If you shot the 92 best, then I don't see why you shouldn't go the 92A1/PX4c route. They're affordable, have plenty of support, can be shot very well, and they compliment each other well.

Personally I'm a Glock guy, but whatever floats your boat. The gun is just a tool. Tool up and get some training and then practice like mad.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

All together now . . . SIG 320 !

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Vending Machine Operator
    Based on your post, I agree that the PX4 is a great choice. Mine has given me almost 9 years of failure-free shooting and the DA/SA trigger is outstanding for a polymer gun, especially after you get it broken in.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Also would have to choose between the compact and subcompact PX4. I'm hoping that I can fit the compact AIWB.

If you're going to get a PX4, get the Compact Carry from Robar and call it a day. Even comes with a coupon for training with Langdon Tactical.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 01-20-2017 at 03:27 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    If you're going to get a PX4, get the Compact Carry from Robar and call it a day. Even comes with a coupon for training with Langdon Tactical.
    This.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List