Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cut shells are stupid.

^Cut shells being effectively used against man-sized target at 100 yards (skip to 8:30).
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 02-01-2017 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Cut shells could turn a depression era squirrel hunt into a successful deer hunt.
    It's a great story, but did it really happen often? During the Depression, or maybe even before it where people didn't have much cash (which was any rural area), store owners sold individual shells. If you read old hunting stories or diaries from the South, buckshot for deer is mentioned all the time. Cut shells, not so much.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post

^Cut shells being effectively used against man-sized target at 100 yards (skip to 8:30).
    What do you mean by "effectively"?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggin View Post
    What do you mean by "effectively"?
    I mean it probably would have hit the gel block as a cohesive, in OP's video.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 02-01-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    It's a great story, but did it really happen often? During the Depression, or maybe even before it where people didn't have much cash (which was any rural area), store owners sold individual shells. If you read old hunting stories or diaries from the South, buckshot for deer is mentioned all the time. Cut shells, not so much.
    They used to be legal for deer in Michigan, now, they are expressly forbidden to be on your person/in your weapon during a season which you cannot take deer using a shotgun. There are many references to them being used during the depression era, but I find state law specifically mentioning them is a pretty good indicator as to the validity of their historical use, for whatever reason.
    November 10-14
    It is unlawful to carry afield or transport any rifle (including rimfire) or shotgun if you
    have buckshot, slug, ball loads, or cut shells.
    Exception:
    You may transport a firearm
    to your deer camp or to a target range during this period if the firearm is properly
    transported see pg. 19. A resident who holds a fur harvester license may carry a
    .22 caliber or smaller rimfire firearm while hunting furbearers or checking a trap line
    during the open season for hunting or trapping furbearing animals. You also may
    target shoot on your own property provided there is no attempt to take game.
    Page 20
    Michigan Hunting and Trapping Digest
    EQUIPMENT
    REGULATIONS
    Firearm Deer Season
    It is unlawful for a person taking or attempting to take game to carry or possess
    afield a centerfire or muzzleloading rifle, a crossbow, a bow and arrow, a centerfire
    or black powder handgun, or a shotgun with buckshot, slug or ball loads or cut
    shells,

unless
    you have in your name and possession a current-year:

Deer, deer combo, or antlerless deer license for the appropriate DMU,
    or

Deer, deer combo, or antlerless deer license for the appropriate DMU
    with
    an unused Deer Management Assistance (DMA) permit kill tag, or an unused
    managed deer hunting permit.
    Page 21
    https://www.michigan.gov/documents/d...t_461177_7.pdf

So...obviously people did, or still do, use cut shells for deer. Ill advised or forced upon by hardship, or whatever, or not.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 02-01-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Some places in the world - not the United States - have very restrictive gun ownership policies. Such that basically shotguns, as utility/hunting weapons, are the only weapons permitted. And they often have strict control and regulation of ammunition types, too. Limiting buckshot and slugs to use by Military or Police. In those instances, cut shells may, make a lot of sense and not be "stupid" or "retarded".

Let's also not forget that cut-shells were intended for break action single and double guns - not pumps or semi-autos. So jamming was a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Some places in the world - not the United States - have very restrictive gun ownership policies. Such that basically shotguns, as utility/hunting weapons, are the only weapons permitted. And they often have strict control and regulation of ammunition types, too. Limiting buckshot and slugs to use by Military or Police. In those instances, cut shells may, make a lot of sense and not be "stupid" or "retarded".

Let's also not forget that cut-shells were intended for break action single and double guns - not pumps or semi-autos. So jamming was a non-issue.
    Those are fair points that I had not considered. In addition the reference to "cut shells" in the Michigan statute that Unobtanium quotes above makes me think that perhaps in Michigan people were using cut shells when buck and slugs were banned, which is why the cut shells were banned also.

However, they still make little sense if you can buy (and use) slugs relatively cheaply.

You declared cut shells to be stupid but only tested cut birdshot shells. I assume that cut buckshot shells would also act like buckshot once it hits a target. Could a cut buckshot shell offer similar accuracy to a slug? Would it provide any advantages over a slug such as limited over-penetration in comparison?

I swear that a few years ago I saw an ad for a factory version of a cut shell but I've never been able to find them again. It had a fully enclosed shot cup that never released and kept the shot together.

User Tag List