Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory Saint - decent?

Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    So using using BCM furniture makes it a BCM and not entry level......
    Please define how the Saint is entry level. When I hear "entry level" I think Bushmaster, DPMS, Olympic Arms, etc.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    So using using BCM furniture makes it a BCM and not entry level......
    How did you draw that conclusion from my post? Being built correctly with quality parts makes for a good rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    How did you draw that conclusion from my post? Being built correctly with quality parts makes for a good rifle.
    How do we know the saint is built correctly or has quality parts? Because the spec sheet says so? The gun is brand new with no track record.

This gun has many years and a lot of rounds to go before it should be mentioned in the same sentence as BCM, Colt, DD, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    How do we know the saint is built correctly or has quality parts? Because the spec sheet says so? The gun is brand new with no track record.

This gun has many years and a lot of rounds to go before it should be mentioned in the same sentence as BCM, Colt, DD, etc.
    Opinions vary, but the only problematic AR I've had in recent years was a DD (overpriced anyway). I'll never argue the status of BCM or Colt. How much experience do you have with the Saint? How do you know it shouldn't be mentioned with the other known brands? Perhaps because of the same spec sheets? Everything needs a track record, that I will agree with.

I wanted to post a thank you for the interesting information. As an update, my hunt continues. Seems most of my LGS are having issues getting Colt rifles in stock. I'd imagine this could be related to Colt's bankruptcy/reorganization or whatever they're calling it this time 'round. When I have seen a Colt they seem to be fetching close to $1200, which is just outta my budget.

The Springer Saint *is* new. No argument there. But is the thing is set up right? Uses mil-spec parts? Isn't that more or less what matters or am I missing more of the story? Like I said, there's a lot I don't know about ARs. I'm half-tempted to begin hunting for a lightly used .30-30 as my go-to rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mntneer357 View Post
    I wanted to post a thank you for the interesting information. As an update, my hunt continues. Seems most of my LGS are having issues getting Colt rifles in stock. I'd imagine this could be related to Colt's bankruptcy/reorganization or whatever they're calling it this time 'round. When I have seen a Colt they seem to be fetching close to $1200, which is just outta my budget.

The Springer Saint *is* new. No argument there. But is the thing is set up right? Uses mil-spec parts? Isn't that more or less what matters or am I missing more of the story? Like I said, there's a lot I don't know about ARs. I'm half-tempted to begin hunting for a lightly used .30-30 as my go-to rifle.
    It may be more to do with people panic buying on the Colt news (more demand) vs actual short supply, but who knows. But still $1200 seems like a bit much. You can order an OEM for 750, or a complete rifle for under 900 with shipping:
    https://www.slickguns.com/search/apa...h/098289020260
    https://www.slickguns.com/search/apa...rms_wikiarms=0
    https://www.slickguns.com/search/apa...h/098289019332

I watch the 6920 prices pretty closely as a barometer for the market overall. There does seem to be a slight rise in cheapest prices by about 30-50 bucks. But in historical context they are still way cheaper then they have been for years and years.

Not to say you shouldn't get the Saint. I don't know anything about it other than I think it is a stupid name. If I wanted to get anything other than a Colt I'd probably get a S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Opinions vary, but the only problematic AR I've had in recent years was a DD (overpriced anyway). I'll never argue the status of BCM or Colt. How much experience do you have with the Saint? How do you know it shouldn't be mentioned with the other known brands? Perhaps because of the same spec sheets? Everything needs a track record, that I will agree with.
    My main point was it has no track record and no long term durability numbers. Colt, DD, and now BCM have them through either military, law enforcement, or hobbyist use. I now throw sionics in there as well with like 65+ law enforcement agencies using them with great success.

The Springfield has none of this being brand new. So I say it's much to early to refer to it in the same sentence as the brands listed above.
    Last edited by PearTree; 03-09-2017 at 05:11 PM.

My LGS has colts on sale for $849 every three or four months.

From left field...

If I was going to spend more than about $800, I would have to look at the MCX. To be fair, I'm not comparing apples to apples, or consumer pricing, but above the Colt/BCM price point, I would look at the MCX. I'm not sure where the Knights prices fall these days, but I think they are more than the MCX.

Just took a look at the MCX and with an MSRP of ~$2100, that's at the opposite end of the budget spectrum. SIG does indeed make real nice stuff, but so do a lot of other folks at that price point.

User Tag List