Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My New Fave

I really do like that piece, OJ. As much as I have lived (and survived) with S&W revolvers since 1978, that smoothed Ruger is a wonderful piece... And what a pisser that I accurately belief it is usually better than any others I have seen.

Fortunately, it's too big for me now. Darn... :-)

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Just to make sure there's no confusion, the photo in my previous post is simply reposting Dr. House's photo from the OP.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I had the Lett Compacts on the WC GP100, and while they were good for a pure concealment piece, I wanted something with a bit more substantial surface area.
    My wife didn't like the trigger reach on the full size Lett grips that came on my older model GP100 but she does like the reach on the Compact Letts . How does the reach compare on the Hogues to those?

"Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic"

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    My wife didn't like the trigger reach on the full size Lett grips that came on my older model GP100 but she does like the reach on the Compact Letts . How does the reach compare on the Hogues to those?

"Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic"
    I think it's similar. My 11 year old can work both fine, and trigger reach is an issue for him too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'm also 6'4" and wear gloves ranging from XL to "XXXL are still too small," depending on manufacturer. But yeah, big hands.

I like the S&W 500 grips, but the revolver I've shot the most is my GP100 with the Hogue NFG grip.

I've done some minor tuning, mostly making a little more space for speed loaders and slimming the left side of the wraparound at the very top. I'm thinking about slimming the top on the right side a little bit, and maybe flattening the hump out of the backstrap a bit. I've realized that even though I'm hiked up to the top of the wraparound, I don't have as much pressure at the top of the backstrap to control recoil as I do with my semis.
    Attachment 20246
    (Photo is Hogue stock photo, being used to positively discuss their product.)

Well, I did this tuning last night. Was dry firing, and decided, what the heck. Grow a pair. Grabbed a razor blade and started shaving. I attacked the hump on the back strap. You can tell by feel, there isn't a lot of rubber thickness there to work with. The maximum depth removed was probably about a millimeter, plus or minus. In the picture above, following the backstrap up from the butt, it kind of recurves out, swelling through the mid section. Now, it essentially continues the original arc. It's still curved, but just doesn't have the "humpback" look. When I was done, the blending to get the curves fair involved almost the whole back strap, and wrapped the sides right up to the edge of the pebbly texture. No loss of texture, though. On horizontal cross sections, the radius at the back of the butt basically carries all the way up the backstrap. The final result is something akin to the Herret's "Roper" style. As far as the look, most people wouldn't be able to see the difference without having an unmodified grip to compare it to.

It's a YUUGE improvement. I figured this out from the first razor blade hack without any blending or smoothing, and it just got better as I worked. As noted, where it felt like the hump was keeping me from having as solid a hold as I wanted at the top, the grip now locks into my hand all the way from bottom to top with even pressure. The hump also had a smaller radius on horizontal cross sections; the new radius is larger and better distributes the contact pressure. It's a very minor change that made a tremendous improvement.

To go off the revolver topic, this confirms my dislike of H&K's interchangeable back straps. They basically add a bigger and bigger lump to the lower middle of the grip, concentrating pressure in that one spot below where it is really helpful for recoil control, without doing anything to address the basic issue of trigger reach up at the top of the grip. [/tangent]

On the GP, I also shaved the upper right side, above the texturing and behind the logo. Just relieved it a little by filing and sanding, didn't use a razor blade here. It took a little pressure off the metacarpal/proximal joint of my trigger finger, which I think is an improvement.

The incremental OCD improvements keep coming with this gun, and I continue to like it more and more.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 09-24-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    Not another dime.

I was messing around with revolver grips today. For some reason, I decided to hold an X-frame grip up next to this grip on the GP. It turns out in side profile, this GP grip is pretty close to being the X-frame grip without finger grooves. Differences are the lump in the middle of the back strap that I shaved down, and the relief at the top of the back strap. The X-frame grip back strap is just straighter. I like that better. It's also more uniform in thickness, and significantly wider in the front with a larger radius around the front strap. Overall, the Hogue 80010 has a lot of Nills influence in it.
    Not another dime.

User Tag List