Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backpack progression list

This thread is relevant to my interests. I'm planning to do a 10+mile a day backpacking trip in May and I've been trying to get my body used to walking that far with a pack. It ain't easy.

Got any favorite shoe models? I try a different pair every time I buy shoes and I've yet to find ones that don't suck ass either in comfort or durability.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    ...I have a high arch and use green Superfeet insoles. They have different colors depending on your type of foot. Others hate using anything but a flat insole. There are a lot of options. I just buy what's on sale from last years stock. I sometimes get trail runners. I usually spend $60 for my shoes and buy two pair. One for training and one for the trip.

I frequently hike 20+ mile days during my trips. Even as a young 20 something skinny gazelle like kid I was not able to do that without pain or bitching beyond belief. What shoes you wear often depends on the weight you're carrying.

I have been using Superfeet green (in my other shoes) for years. I use one set of the blue in my weight training shoes but not for outdoor use.
    (Neither the Ridgecrest or Bridger shoes referenced above require the use of Superfeet, that's how good the platform and OEM footbeds are.)

Apparently Ahnu has since been merged with Teva and I don't even see the Ridgecrest offered anymore, let alone many men's shoes at all.
    Fortunately, after finding the first pair locally, I was able to find additional pairs online deeply discounted and I currently have four pair.

(The irony is that I like the shoes so much I actually called the company to give them kudos and beg them never to drop the model from their product line. Sure kiss of death if there ever was one.)

Yep. Twenty mile days are a lot easier in good shoes. Both my wife and I enjoy such days in good footwear supported by good gear. (I haven't entirely adopted ultralight gear except for tarps and such but I keep the weight pretty reasonable for our comfort zones.)
    Last edited by blues; 01-20-2017 at 09:47 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    This thread is relevant to my interests. I'm planning to do a 10+mile a day backpacking trip in May and I've been trying to get my body used to walking that far with a pack. It ain't easy.

Got any favorite shoe models? I try a different pair every time I buy shoes and I've yet to find ones that don't suck ass either in comfort or durability.
    I mentioned the shoes I like in an earlier post and while they fit and feel much like running shoes, they are more substantial so you have to find the balance that works for you.

I would stress, based upon my own experience, that you should be happy with the fit and feel before walking out of the store. Don't count on breaking the shoe in over a period of days or miles. (That can happen but is not a given.) You want support where you need it, cushioning where you need it, minimal to no heel lift and a tread pattern (and composition) that will work for your intended terrain. Happy feet make all the difference.

You should be able to tell if it's a good fit as soon as you've taken a few steps around the store and stood on an incline to make sure your toes aren't hitting the front of the shoes. Don't let any salesperson convince you to choose something when your feet tell you otherwise.
    Last edited by blues; 01-20-2017 at 09:55 AM.

I hope this isn't too far off, but I'm strongly considering getting a Hilleberg Bivanorak. It will replace my rainwear/windwear, as well as my Bivy. For my use, it seems like a good option. I'm not a true ultralighter by any means, and I know there are some crazy light bivy's and rainwear out there. I use a GI bivy a fair bit, so this is a big weight savings in total. Anyone have any experience with it?

As far as shoes, I've done 30 mile days with 50# packs for work, more than a few times. Even a few times on my own for fun, but not in the last few years. I never use anything but runners. Solomon was my go to for the last 15 years, but today I wear a zero differential, usually minimalist shoe. Haven't done any real weight or distance with those yet, so no idea how they compare to the Solomons. I also have strong flexible ankles, so rolling my ankle has never been an issue.

That looks like an interesting piece of kit, SLG, especially if you get caught out on your own while hunting or bushwhacking.

I've never tried Salomon shoes though I know they have lots of fans.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I've done 30 mile days with 50# packs
    At age 25, fifty pounds or more was no big deal. At 50+, I'd like to try the inverse. The idea of running shoes instead of boots is also appealing as I've apparently crunched my left foot/toes one too many times.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    At age 25, fifty pounds or more was no big deal. At 50+, I'd like to try the inverse. .
    Couldn't agree more. The difference is, one is for work, one is for pleasure. For work, I'll get it done. For pleasure, I want much less weight. The flipside is, much of my field time is based around hunting, and where my base pack weight is reasonably light at dawn, by dusk it could have 100# of meat and head and hide attached to it. 100# is way over my comfort level, and the few times I've had to do that, my truck was only a few miles away. These days it hasn't been an issue, since my hunting has changed a bit, but I still want to be ready to go when I need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I hope this isn't too far off, but I'm strongly considering getting a Hilleberg Bivanorak. It will replace my rainwear/windwear, as well as my Bivy. For my use, it seems like a good option. I'm not a true ultralighter by any means, and I know there are some crazy light bivy's and rainwear out there. I use a GI bivy a fair bit, so this is a big weight savings in total. Anyone have any experience with it?

As far as shoes, I've done 30 mile days with 50# packs for work, more than a few times. Even a few times on my own for fun, but not in the last few years. I never use anything but runners. Solomon was my go to for the last 15 years, but today I wear a zero differential, usually minimalist shoe. Haven't done any real weight or distance with those yet, so no idea how they compare to the Solomons. I also have strong flexible ankles, so rolling my ankle has never been an issue.
    I started my lightweight trip using a bibler bivy. Soggy and wet from sweat is what I got. But it will keep the rain out. I use a tarp sometimes. I have used an equinox rain poncho with a 1.1 oz nylon bivy. From memory the whole set up was around a pound. Because I'm a wus I also use a sea to summit bug net that weighs I think 3.9 oz. I also have a homemade 8x8 tarp that is 11 oz. Also made from 1.1 oz silnylon.

You might want to look at the Gatewood cape. I borrowed one on the PCT a few years ago. I like it. But there's a catch. If you buy it also buy some lightweight and ADJUSTABLE tiedowns. 1.1silnylon will stretch slightly when wet. With the adjusters one can reach into the corners of the tarp and tighten it without going outside. It is a large poncho and a tent. It is lightweight and requires one pole (hiking pole if you use them) or you can buy a carbon fiber pole for it that is about 3 oz.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Some pictures

Name:  IMG_0100_1024.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  47.9 KB

If you want to reduce weight one needs to use light, multi-functional items.

This is my middle of the road pack. It is a Golite "Day" pack. It is no longer made. The pack is 24" tall x 11" wide x 5" deep from the back. For reference the water bottle is a tall trader joes 1.5L bottle. I carry one on each side for a total of 3L. I can put a 1L bottle in the net which is on the back(left side of pic) of the pack. I use that net for drying my wet stuff like tent/rain jacket etc.

The pack is just a sack with shoulder straps. It has no padding or hip belt. It weighs 13.2 oz on my postal scale.

If you look at the right side of the pack(back of the pack) you can see my cut down to 4 feet long(?) zrest sleeping pad (8.2 oz). That stretches from neck to lower calf on me. It is held in place by two horizontal pockets hand sewn to the pack at the top and bottom. That is my padding for the back as well as to insulate me during sleep. It is also a sit pad during breaks. I pull it out and sit on it without unfolding it. Or I have been known to unfold it and lay down/lean against something during breaks. That keeps my pants and shirt from getting dirty.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Tent/pillow/silk liner

Name:  IMG_0106.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  43.3 KB

The black bag on the right is my rolled up tent. The Tarptent.com "Moment" tent weighs 34.1 oz including three stakes and a top line to keep the tent stable in high wind. It's packed size is 21" x 5".

The white roll on the left is a sea to summit(?) silk liner. It keeps my sleeping bag clean and adds a few degrees of warmth. It was 3.9 oz as a rectangle. I sewed it down to a mummy and is 3.1 oz now.

The gray thing on top is my inflatable pillow. It is 2.1 oz sea to summit.

It's snowing outside so I didn't open up the tent and set it up. The websites of these companies have great pics.

These weights may have changed over time with the companies new products, but they will be similar. Also remember that you can modify items to fit your use as I did to the silk liner.

And no, I do not take the flower platter and notebook with me when I hike. LOL.

User Tag List