Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Backpack progression list

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    JustOneGun, thanks for all the pics and gear descriptions. I prefer sleeping under a tarp, but I always used a full mummy bag even in summer. I'm probably even worse about that now that I live in FL.

That is another reason for the silk liner. In SoCal and here in Arizona it is nice to just sleep under the sheet of the silk liner.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    You're pretty hard into the ultralight spectrum. Not a bad thing, it's good content, I just prefer my canister stove for dinner

Just like going beyond one's limits in shooting speed then dialing it back, I did the same in weight. I was hiking with a rain ponch/5x7 tarp with a silnylon bivy. Now going 7 or even 8 pounds is heavy but it feels like a luxury. Heck, I have a blow up pillow. The best piece of gear ever invented.

I am always tempted to buy one of the new tank stove kits. There are some nice light all in one kits. But I am a hiker and not a camper. I wake up, break camp and eat while walking or on my hourly breaks. I stop for dinner an hour before I'm done hiking. Often this is done in an established camp if available. This would be the only time I would ever cook. Then I hike to my camp spot, set up camp and climb in the tent. After 20+ miles it is usually hiker midnight by 7:30 or 8:00 p.m. LOL. Thy only time I broke this routine was on the PCT. I camped with others every night except twice. It's a regular social scene on the long trails. Lots of campfires on that trail.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    I am always tempted to buy one of the new tank stove kits. There are some nice light all in one kits. But I am a hiker and not a camper. I wake up, break camp and eat while walking or on my hourly breaks.
    I would be interested to hear what you are eating to sustain the 20 mile efforts over multiple days without a stove. I would love to get rid of my stove/canisters, but I'm not sure what light weight food would sustain me without a stove for at least boiling water.

Quote Originally Posted by GNiner View Post
    I would be interested to hear what you are eating to sustain the 20 mile efforts over multiple days without a stove. I would love to get rid of my stove/canisters, but I'm not sure what light weight food would sustain me without a stove for at least boiling water.

First of all the weight over time works out the same if you use a cook and a no cook menu. Many people do use a stove everyday. I don't like the hassle of finding fuel, etc on long trips. The weight saving magic happens on a long trek when you use cook food as no cook. But in time the cook and no cook menus start to look almost the same.

I don't have any kind of dietary problems such as diabetes or similar. Meaning for a long trip I eat anything and everything I can to make calories. While I am no a believer in calories in and calories out, at some point that's what it is.

For treks I eat 4,000 calories a day for the first 3-4 days. That's when my hunger begins to kick in. That usually equates to about 1.5 pounds of food a day. The last two weeks of my 745 mile trek I was trying to get 6,000+ calories a day and was still losing a bit of weight. 6,000 calories a day is a lot of food. People who have hiked the entire trail say it goes up from there. I don't remember the exact weight but it was in the ball park of 2.25-2.75 pounds a day. If it's balanced I don't want to carry it. Pure carbs at a minimum of 150 calories an oz(that's peanut m&m's or snickers. Fat like nuts/seeds, peanut butter, olive oil.

My typical menu: Warning hiking a weekend can be filled with Mountain house hiker food that is fairly good tasting. Cramming 6,000 plus calories in is like a powerlifter bulking up. Think of a pregnant female who is having cravings. It's that bad. PBJ can easy become a PB and mayo.

Wake up at dawn, pop tarts and some nuts/seeds in the tent/tarp.
    Walk an hour or until it's warmer, stop for breakfast. Tortilla(2) with honey and peanut butter. The more calories you need the more PB.
    Take hourly breaks where I eat a family size snickers/milky way and salt (usually fritos or nuts/seeds). I've seen vegans at the beginning switch to fritos and snickers.
    Lunch (which is sometimes the cook or just eat it cold) Soak ramen. Eat tortilla with honey and peanut butter. Add coconut or olive oil to the ramen and eat. In the end adding stuff is a waste of motion. In the southern sierra I just stuck two table spoons of olive oil in my mouth before eating the ramen. Same with honey and peanut butter. Dont' put it on the tortilla. Just eat it all of the spoon or put the honey bear in your mouth and squeeze.
    Continue to eat every hour, junk food.
    Dinner is about an hour before I stop hiking and camp. It sometimes looks exactly like lunch but I might only cook one of them if I take a stove. Most people who use a stove on trek only boil water. Some with dietary issues are more elaborate. Some of them dry meals and hydrate them by boiling water.

You can eat ramen cold. It just tastes like crap. If you look at a ramen's calories when mixed with two table spoons of olive oil and a packet of tuna you can see how a lot of calories are packed into a small weight.

Dinner is timed to get a few miles away from the cooking/eating spot. That's because the cooking and food attracts critters big and small. Forget the bears(except grizzly country you should worry about them) it's the darn marmots, squirrels and mice that will chew through anything to get the food.

Snack in tent before bed.

Some variation of this diet is what everyone eventually migrates to. Some people have elaborate cooked meals that look and smell great. Eventually they also eat snicker/m&m's and fritos for snacks.

A fairly light stove option is the Esbit. I've never actually used mine backpacking, but I used the shit out of it after a hurricane. One tab boils water or heats food.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

A fairly light stove option is the Esbit. I've never actually used mine backpacking, but I used the shit out of it after a hurricane. One tab boils water or heats food.
    I've used it on the trail. I'd carry it in years past when I didn't feel like lugging my Optimus 8R.

I think my Esbit dates back to 1975.

How's that for a walk down memory lane?
    Last edited by blues; 01-21-2017 at 06:06 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I have a whole box of esbit tabs. I hate the american tabs. Too much soot. The esbits are okay. I got rid of the heavy deck of cards stove and just use an alcohol stove except instead of holes at the top just cut and bend sections of the top lip down. I make it look like an english castle turret. Works great. One of the great things about esbit is they perform a bit better than alcohol at high altitude and you can blow them out.

User Tag List