Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpack progression list

Backpack progression list

MODS: If this is in the wrong place or there is no good place for it, obviously do with it what you will.

On another thread Hambo asked me how I got my backpack base weight down to 7 pounds. A base weight doesn't include food or water as that varies depending on where and how far you hike between resupply. When I get home tomorrow I will drag my stuff out of the garage and take a few pictures of it with a complete detailed list of what I carry now and the exact weight per the postal scale. Yes, if you want to get fast at shooting you need a timer. If you want to reduce weight, you need a postal scale.

Until then I thought I would explain the progression from 25 to 7 pound. Just like shooting a combo of gear, experience and preference is how it's done. That takes money, time and knowledge. Side note, all my lists are for three season trekking on trails. I don't bushwack, peak bag or hike through massive snow drifts.

EQUIPMENT: The weights are from memory but close. I'll weigh it tomorrow and send a few pics.

I have no connection to any companies in my life, including backpacking ones.

RayJardine.com The theory of light/ultralight backpacking was coined by Ray Jardine. He has a few books that actually break down EVERYTHING on long distance trekking. The one I read was called, "Trail Life". Warning, he is more opinionated and crazy than even I am. That's saying something too. LOL.

GossamerGear.com Backpacks I have an out of production Hyperlite in the 9 oz range.

Golite(out of business) old breeze backpack-14 oz. Have a smaller "Day" backpack that is around 12 oz.

ULA-equipment.com Heavy weight convertible backpack. Weight is from 41 oz to 25 oz with everything stripped off. This is how I use it. Use this if your a hunter or go off trail. They are bomb proof.

Zpacks.com 900 down 20 degree long sleeping bag. 19.5 oz

TarpTent.com When I use a tent I use an old, "Moment" tent made by Henry Shires. 34 oz

Stove: Homemade alcohol stove.

What do I do with all this stuff? I started hiking when I was in my teens. I think my pack was around 4 pounds empty at that time. My longest hike was the southern portion of the Pacific Crest Trail a few years ago. I walked the crest from the Mexican border in east county San Diego to the southern Sierra just south of Mt. Whitney ending in the town of Lone Pine. A total of 745 miles plus side trips to town for water and food in 40 days and 39 nights.

On that trip I used a Golite(out of business) "Breeze" backpack, Zpacks long sleeping bag and a Henry Shires "Moment" Tent.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Thanks for the thread. In my younger days I never worried about pack weight because a) I could carry it b) weather where I hiked was often unpredictable and c) I was young and stupid. Now that I'm older, wiser, and not quite as tough you've got my attention.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Thanks for the thread. In my younger days I never worried about pack weight because a) I could carry it b) weather where I hiked was often unpredictable and c) I was young and stupid. Now that I'm older, wiser, and not quite as tough you've got my attention.
    Been there, done that. My pack during my 5 week NOLS expedition was incredibly heavy. (We had a lot of climbing gear.)
    And the added "benefit" was that the pack they issued me had a web belt instead of a padded hip belt. Wore both hips raw within a few days. (I was 21 and hadn't been on an extended multi-week trek before so didn't own a pack large enough for all the gear.)

On that trip I dropped from 162 lbs when I left NY to 137 lbs when I got back to Lander, WY at the end of the course. And I didn't need to shed weight.
    Last edited by blues; 01-19-2017 at 05:55 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Just fyi, Go Lite is back in business under the name of MTC or My Trail Company.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FOG View Post
    Just fyi, Go Lite is back in business under the name of MTC or My Trail Company.

Sort of. No utopia line at all. very disappointing. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by FOG View Post

Good to know. Sadly they will not be making the breeze or the day in any form that is similar to the original due to a law suit between them and ray jardine. If you want a jardine pack you will have to sew it up yourself. Jardine will sell you pattern if you like.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

What are you wearing footwear wise?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    What are you wearing footwear wise?

People with duck feet like me wear New Balance running shoes. Try to keep them under 12 oz each shoe for a size 11.5EE

I went through two pair in 745 miles on the pct.
    Last edited by JustOneGun; 01-19-2017 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    People with duck feet like me wear New Balance running shoes. Try to keep them under 12 oz each shoe for a size 11.5EE

I went through two pair in 745 miles on the pct.
    I have a variety of foot issues...Morton's toe, over pronation, flattish feet...none of which bothered me as a kid but started to in young adulthood with more and more climbing, backpacking, running and lifting.

I haven't had New Balance running shoes in some years but when I was backpacking and climbing in the Wrangells I had an old (heavy) pair of Raichle's that began to kill me. When we came out near Chitina we drove down to Valdez and I picked up a lightweight pair of New Balance hiking boots that were a revelation. They were so light, supportive and forgiving that the rest of my time up there I felt like I had died and gone to heaven.
    The only problem was that they weren't particularly durable.

Not as light as your shoes but the shoes I have found work well for me the past couple of years are the Ahnu "Ridgecrest" (18 oz / size 11) and the Oboz "Bridger". The combination of built in arch support and stability in both pairs of shoes have been a godsend for me. It almost seems counterintuitive that they combine arch support and cushioning so well.

Thanks for the quick reply. I always enjoy hearing about and learning from the gear and footwear choices of others.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I have a variety of foot issues...Morton's toe, over pronation, flattish feet...none of which bothered me as a kid but started to in young adulthood with more and more climbing, backpacking, running and lifting.

I haven't had New Balance running shoes in some years but when I was backpacking and climbing in the Wrangells I had an old (heavy) pair of Raichle's that began to kill me. When we came out near Chitina we drove down to Valdez and I picked up a lightweight pair of New Balance hiking boots that were a revelation. They were so light, supportive and forgiving that the rest of my time up there I felt like I had died and gone to heaven.
    The only problem was that they weren't particularly durable.

Not as light as your shoes but the shoes I have found work well for me the past couple of years are the Ahnu "Ridgecrest" (18 oz / size 11) and the Oboz "Bridger". The combination of built in arch support and stability in both pairs of shoes have been a godsend for me. It almost seems counterintuitive that they combine arch support and cushioning so well.

Thanks for the quick reply. I always enjoy hearing about and learning from the gear and footwear choices of others.

Carrying a light load on a multi day journey has quite a positive cascading effect for me. If one is around 7 to 8 pounds of weight and adds food for 4-5 trip and then adds a gallon of water during a dry stretch that max weight ends up being around 23-24 pounds until the water is consumed. My heaviest weight with water, food and gear for a six day journey is 30 pounds. Of course by the end of the six days I was down to 7-8 pounds again.

With less weight the perceived need for boots diminishes. I went from boots as a kid to fabric high tops to trail runners and now I haven't hiked in anything but running shoes for over a decade. I have a high arch and use green Superfeet insoles. They have different colors depending on your type of foot. Others hate using anything but a flat insole. There are a lot of options. I just buy what's on sale from last years stock. I sometimes get trail runners. I usually spend $60 for my shoes and buy two pair. One for training and one for the trip.

I frequently hike 20+ mile days during my trips. Even as a young 20 something skinny gazelle like kid I was not able to do that without pain or bitching beyond belief. What shoes you wear often depends on the weight you're carrying.

User Tag List