Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 8 round 9mm shield magazines – Marks on the primers when feeding the round

S&W 8 round 9mm shield magazines – Marks on the primers when feeding the round

I have noticed that when I use 8 round S&W 9mm shield magazines the rounds end up with what appear to be an impact mark on the primer from the slide of the gun.

Since the second factory return (1st time bad barrel/2nd time bad extractor which may have been my fault when I ran 200 rounds of 124gr+p+ hydrashock as a function test when it returned from the factory the 1st time – or the extractor could have just sucked from the factory and I didn’t know it till the barrel issue was diagnosed) it has had approximately 550 rounds through it without trouble so I have cleared it for carry using 7 round magazines.

Rounds from 8 round magazines have fed/fired/ejected without trouble and I have used a variety of JHP & ball for the test rounds, but I’m not sure if the marks on the primers from the 8 round magazines are an issue for concern or not.

Picture?

That is it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Is it caused by the breach face when it fully locks up, or when it is picked up by the slide? I would think an impact on the primer outside the normal firing sequence is bad.... I think a call into Smiff is in order.
    Taking a break from social media.

Third time back to the factory would be lovely... If they tell me to return it to the factory I'm going to ask that the gun be replaced.

I'm getting a little tired of this.

I just took an eight-round magazine that I loaded with 135 grain plus p critical duty yesterday and inserted it into the gun. The first two rounds appeared to nose dive into the feed ramp when I drop the slide using the slide release and the rounds had the impact marks on the primer which appeared to be caused by the bottom of the slide.

I just repeated the test with a 7-round magazine. None of the rounds nosedive and only one of the rounds has a slight Mark on the primer.

The bullets with the copper colored primers we're used with the 8 round magazine. Silver colored primers were used for the 7-round magazine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Without taking my Shield apart, I can't picture how that's happening unless the breech face it out of spec. No matter, the primer marks shouldn't be happening and a call to S&W is in order.

Have you tried any other 8 Rd mags?

Never mind...I missed that it's been back twice already.
    Last edited by Willard; 01-19-2017 at 11:17 PM.

reoccurring thing with all 6 of mine, 3 with +5% springs and 3 with stock springs.

User Tag List