Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HST 38 special

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    PPP

I'm with you. Keep in mind, however, that I have been looking at pistol/revolver wounds/kills for a very long time. The one thing that remains common on those is... Nothing is common.

Truth. It seems you have either spectacular success or spectacular failure with those little blasters.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Lots of J-framers keep wadcutters in the gun and reload with something else.
    Yes--which makes sense if you think there is any likelihood of reloading.

Personally, I try to stay away from troublesome areas, particularly at troublesome times of day. If I have to be there, I want to carry something with more capacity than a J frame.

But, for the most part as a civilian I think any encounter away from my house needing a gun will usually end without shots fired, and if there are shots fired they will be from very close range. It is going to be extremely rare when I will be justified using a firearm at even 10 yards range. And, since it won't be the Waffen SS on the other side, it is likely that they (and/or I) will be running once a few shots are fired.

I get the "be prepared" idea, but to my mind that means being mentally alert, capable of getting the gun on target in the minimum time possible, and making as good shots as possible while fear and adrenaline are surging. Reloading capability seems a tertiary concern, at best.

Again, for cops the equation is very different.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    The day I begin using a J as a primary...
    Clearly, you have considerably more experience in this matter than I, but it's always (perhaps not "always", but for a really long time) seemed to me that once you grab your J it becomes your primary.

I was just looking at the picture and while a full flat wadcutters profile would be nice I still think the profiles not bad. In a worst case scenario where it didn't open up it looks like you'd still get a pretty good cutting effect, better than a FMJ or regular round point for sure.

"Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic"

I would recommend shooting a piece of wood to get a better idea of the cutting effect of a wadcutter. It is quite impressive. That along with reports here of people shooting animals with wad cuttter and the effect,(entry and exit to a deer skull with pulped brain oozing from the skull, chest shot to deer with perfect holes cut through the ribs) plus the numerous experienced cops who recommend and ammo section gel testing give me the peace of mind to carry the wadcutter with confidence.
    Last edited by UNK; 01-28-2017 at 08:30 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

This round looks interesting.

One of the not often mentioned benefits of wadcutters I find is that the Gold Medal Match variety and it's analogs from other companies are serious Target grade ammunition...meaning the QC is very good. Even more so than defensive Ammo QC. I've yet to have a match grade WC not work. And I've shot off a few tens of thousands of them in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    This round looks interesting.

One of the not often mentioned benefits of wadcutters I find is that the Gold Medal Match variety and it's analogs from other companies are serious Target grade ammunition...meaning the QC is very good. Even more so than defensive Ammo QC. I've yet to have a match grade WC not work. And I've shot off a few tens of thousands of them in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great point... and this also applies to .22 Match ammo (as Werner sometimes recommends)... tolerance for QC issues is nonexistent in even state/regional competitions. Also, many competitors at that level have fired tens of thousands of their competition load.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 02-03-2017 at 12:34 AM.

Double post.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 02-03-2017 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Clearly, you have considerably more experience in this matter than I...
    And so what? If you are smart enough to make intelligent remarks, you already know much of what you NEED to know. Trust me, there are VERY few things in concrete in these games... And what I prefer for damn sure does NOT mean I am automatically correct, best, etc. in fact, some "remarks" cause me to... well, move on. :-)

For practically the whole part, some things can almost always be at least PARTIALLY correct. You'll note that a few of us are pretty well done every time... Mainly because those of who USED the shit against the bad guys and won. The thing is, it worked for us... THEN. Somebody- YOU, perhaps- needed a different finish.

To me, those folk (young, medium and ready, or old and lazy like us) change NOTHING. Thanks for your attitude, Duces Tecum. But we aren't any smarter than you... :-)

I don't know. You are definitely smarter than me about firearms. But then again, one expects that of a former Airborne NCO.

User Tag List