Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HST 38 special

HST 38 special

Photo but have not seen specs. The case on the left is a fully loaded round. They seat it like a wadcutter
    Name:  img_7765.jpg
Views: 5999
Size:  52.6 KB
    Last edited by xcop; 01-19-2017 at 07:24 AM.

With the 135 gr. +P Gold Dot "short barrel" load being so hard to find, the problems with the new Cor Bon solid copper DPX load, and the Winchester Ranger T QC issues, this would be a welcome addition to the market. However, I'm worried that the HST in a standard pressure will have the same problems as other standard pressure JHP's out of a short barrel: that expansion ensures inadequate penetration. I wonder if they will be releasing a +P load as well. Also to note: this deeply set bullet will make for slower reloading under stress as is the case with WC's. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacRay View Post
    and the Winchester Ranger T QC issues,
    Can you expound on this?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Can you expound on this?
    I started a thread on some issues I had with a box of .38SP 130gr +P Ranger T's a while back, and it turns out I wasn't the only one with such an experience. Myself and a few others chose to return the ammo for a refund while some decided the rounds were good to go. Chuck noted that this has been an ongoing issue with Winchester ammo and that some large departments are dropping Win for other brands due to QC issues. I'm going to avoid Winchester for defensive handgun ammo for the time being.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....0gr-Bonded-JHP
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Site Supporter
    Existing thread on the new Federal HST .38 round over in the revolver sections:https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tter-ish-round
    Last edited by HCM; 01-19-2017 at 10:44 AM.

With the 135 gr. +P Gold Dot "short barrel" load being so hard to find, the problems with the new Cor Bon solid copper DPX load, and the Winchester Ranger T QC issues, this would be a welcome addition to the market. However, I'm worried that the HST in a standard pressure will have the same problems as other standard pressure JHP's out of a short barrel: that expansion ensures inadequate penetration. I wonder if they will be releasing a +P load as well. Also to note: this deeply set bullet will make for slower reloading under stress as is the case with WC's. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    You know, everyone keeps talking about this "reloading" thing with revolvers. I keep wondering if any civilian has ever reloaded a revolver in a fight(plenty of cops have, of course, but they have a different job)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    You know, everyone keeps talking about this "reloading" thing with revolvers. I keep wondering if any civilian has ever reloaded a revolver in a fight(plenty of cops have, of course, but they have a different job)
    This is a fair point. I have some of those Bianchi speed strips, but I've never carried them. Once those 5 rounds are gone, I'll be relying on a pocket knife or my adrenaline-fueled legs to save my hide if the threat is still a threat (probably the latter). Honestly, I only mentioned it because the resident LEO's tend to take it into account. I had never even considered the issue until I started browsing this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Low frequency, but high criticality that benefits from as much refinement as possible.
    Last edited by ST911; 01-23-2017 at 07:45 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Honestly, I only mentioned it because the resident LEO's tend to take it into account. I had never even considered the issue until I started browsing this forum.
    *Some* do. Could you need to reload fast and it matter? Maybe. Someone wins the Powerball...and more times than a second or two of reloading time matters.

http://www.theppsc.org/Grossman/SOP9/1981.htm

A 1981 study of NYC officers, roughly 6000 shootings, zero hinged on speed of reload. Most were done with revolvers.

"The following is a brief review of the more than 6,000 cases detailed in SOP 9 reports..... Prior to 1974, an officer's revolver qualification was limited to firing ~n approved score with the standard service revolver. A review at that time revealed, through the SOP 9 (s. 69) reports, that the service revolver was used in only 60% of the cases. The authorized smaller framed civilian clothes revolver was used in 35%. In the remaining 5%, an undercover type pistol or shotgun was employed. Percentages have remained consistent over the past ten years...

Rapid Reloading

The SOP 9 study reveals that the average number of shots fired by individual officers in an armed confrontation is between two and three rounds, less than half the capacity of the service revolver. The two to three rounds per incident has remained constant over the years covered by the report. It also sub*stantiates an earlier study by the L.A.P.D. (1967) which found that 2.6 rounds per encounter were discharged.

The necessity for rapid reloading to prevent death or serious injury was not a factor In any of the cases examined. In close range encounters, under 15 feet, it was never reported as neces*sary to continue the action. However, in 6% of the total cases the officer reported reloading. These involved cases of pursuit, barricaded persons and other incidents where the action was pro*longed and the distance exceeded the 25 foot death zone.

It is evident in some cases that lack of firepower, not having a larger capacity weapon and/or ability to reload rapidly, may have changed the outcome. In no case was it the prime factor in bringing the contact to a successful conclusion

Despite the apparent low incidence of need, this training has not been discontinued. The manipulatory skill, over all familiarity with the revolver gained, and its value in some situations make it a useful part of training exercises. It is not emphasized to the degree it has been in the past at the expense of accurate delivery of the fired rounds. Every report indicates that it is accurate hits that count rather than the number."

So, if it does everything else better than existing options with the exception of reload speed, I'd weight the "everything else" much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Every report indicates that it is accurate hits that count rather than the number."
    This bears repeating.
    C Class shooter.

User Tag List