Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help diagnose an accuracy issue?

Site Supporter

Help diagnose an accuracy issue?

Hi all,

First, I'd like to thank everyone on this forum who provides such a wealth of experienced shooting knowledge. I have learned a lot from many of you. In fact, one or two posts from member Surf a while ago about grip technique and trigger control struck such a chord with me that it was like a light switch came on in my head, and my accuracy and recoil control improved quite a bit. Anyway, I'm what you'd call an educated responsible armed citizen, who shoots perhaps 400-500 rounds of 9mm per month (plus some .22LR), and I attend some IDPA practices now and then. I also try to dry fire maybe twice a week for about 15 minutes, I basically just shoot Glocks, my entire gun-owning life. I realize that diagnosing a problem in someone's shooting is very difficult over the Internet, but what the heck? We can give it a try.

This past weekend I was practicing with the G19 that I carry AIWB in a Dale Fricke ArchAngel. At 10 yards, slow fire singles as well as well-controlled pairs when I know I have a solid proper grip on the gun, I can basically keep them all in about a 3-inch circle centered in my POA. Though, I do have a slight bias toward the left with some vertical stringing when I don't concentrate as hard or when I start getting tired.

I noticed that when I practice drawing from my AIWB holster and fire, that I tend to accentuate my left impact bias and the vertical stringing gets a bit larger. In trying to self-diagnose the issue, I feel that its the grip I establish on the draw that is the main culprit, and perhaps that I'm going a bit faster than I should and not taking the time to see what I need to see. A few times after drawing and firing a single shot quickly and I see, for example, that the bullet impacted high-left, I look at my sights to see they are pointed just that, high-left. I tilt my head to align my eye with the sights and bingo, that's where the bullet went. It's almost like I need to work extra hard to align the sights on the draw, if that makes sense.

My grip technique is pretty standard: web of hand as high on the backstrap as possible, squeeze front and back straps with firing hand, palm of non-firing hand up against the open area of the frame, wrap non-firing fingers around the front proving side-to-side pressure, non-firing wrist is not overly "locked", just firm, chest muscles pressing sides of gun together like the "walnut", and arms are not locked straight out.

Again, like I said, I feel that my ability to establish the proper grip on the pistol on the draw may be the reason, but of course I'm open to listening to your feedback and suggestions. I definitely think I can do more dry work, working on my draw and establishing a solid proper grip. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Chris

Could you tell us your IDPA classification to give us an idea of skill level?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post

I feel that its the grip I establish on the draw that is the main culprit, and perhaps that I'm going a bit faster than I should and not taking the time to see what I need to see. A few times after drawing and firing a single shot quickly and I see, for example, that the bullet impacted high-left, I look at my sights to see they are pointed just that, high-left.
    I find that a bad grip coming out of the holster is 98% of the time the cause of a errant shot at speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    I tilt my head to align my eye with the sights and bingo, that's where the bullet went. It's almost like I need to work extra hard to align the sights on the draw, if that makes sense.
    You want to bring the gun into your vision not the other way around. A well polished presentation results in sight verification only. The goal is to have the gun aligned at the end of the presentation.

Site Supporter
    I don't have an IDPA classification and don't currently compete. I just attend local practices now and then to gain some practical gun handling experience and have fun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I find that a bad grip coming out of the holster is 98% of the time the cause of a errant shot at speed.

You want to bring the gun into your vision not the other way around. A well polished presentation results in sight verification only. The goal is to have the gun aligned at the end of the presentation.
    Yes, bringing the gun into my vision is what I strive for and work on. I only mentioned the "head tilt" to illustrate the fact that I felt the sights are not naturally aligned to where I want the bullet to go upon gripping the gun on the draw.

Site Supporter
    Now that I think of it, I don't recall ever reading or seeing a detailed description of *how* to establish a proper grip on the gun during an AIWB draw. It's always just said "establish your master firing grip". Does anyone know of a well-written description or video that presents this in detail?

Hammertime
    I am a complete amateur but this sounds like a trigger press issue more than a grip issue. I think you are moving the gun's alignment during the trigger press.

Stick some pasters on a wall. Practice drawing and automatically indexing the gun so it appears in your vision with sights on the target paster. Do not pull the trigger.

Put the sights on a paster. Or a blank white wall. Pull the trigger as fast as you can. Did the sights move? Rinse and repeat.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

My money's on lacking hard front sight focus.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Target focus is OK at 10 yards.

Actually I was having some crazy breakthrough moments taking head shots as the light was failing a couple of weeks ago. Array of 3 targets, 7-10 yards, don't remember exactly, targets spaced wide, 5 yards apart, shooting at speed. Target focus, not front sight. Last run I could see the sights in alignment AND bullet holes before recoil, each shot appearing in the upper A boxes (I don't normally see bullet holes). 2A, 2A, A/B. The first 2 targets had stupid close 'snake-eye' pairs. I lost focus a bit on the last target.

Very interesting - to me anyhow.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List