Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calvinball: The Anti-drill, Drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I want to try this out some time when the weather gets nicer. I need to sit down and get my head around it first though.
    Where in WI are you? If you're south and don't mind your retarded southern neighbor (IL), I'd be happy to show you...
    Last edited by Sal Picante; 01-24-2017 at 10:23 PM.

This is awesome! Thanks Les!

I agree though that the how-to could use some work. Can you write out in words a sample game between two players for say, just a level or two?

There are still a lot of aspects I don't quite get about it, like the standard for establishing par times, who designs the first level, whether going prone or SHO counts as a position change, if the pictured arrangement is pretty fixed or if there is flexibility in number of targets and target arrangement (and what rules govern that if so), if targets can be used multiple times or not (otherwise level 8 with 5 targets and 1 shot per target.......what?), whether specifying which target(s) must be shot from which position is part of a level or not. Alright I'll stop

This is really really cool .

I'm trying to think of how to implement this for our training group. We have a few reactive targets, but no steel and nothing that won't fall or move a lot when hit. I'll think about it a little, but I think with some modification we can use it. Non-falling steel certainly would be the ticket though.

The basic idea behind it (judging by the OP), to emphasize on-demand shooting, rather than trying to high-fly crazy stuff, is really powerful and good.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Well even as narrowly-demonstrated as his stuff is....lots of respect for what I've seen T1CS do.
    That was a FAST twitch reflex to that gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Where in WI are you? If you're south and don't mind your retarded southern neighbor (IL), I'd be happy to show you...
    Green Bay, but thanks for the offer

I don't think it's a hard game to understand, I just need to run it once with a buddy to get it down.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I'm trying to think of how to implement this for our training group. We have a few reactive targets, but no steel and nothing that won't fall or move a lot when hit. I'll think about it a little, but I think with some modification we can use it. Non-falling steel certainly would be the ticket though.

The basic idea behind it (judging by the OP), to emphasize on-demand shooting, rather than trying to high-fly crazy stuff, is really powerful and good.
    A brace of some sort can keep steel from falling. Or turn the plates around. Or send someone down range to hold them up.

A brace of some sort can keep steel from falling. Or turn the plates around. Or send someone down range to hold them up.

All good ideas, it's more an issue of us just not having any steel targets though.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    This is awesome! Thanks Les!

I agree though that the how-to could use some work. Can you write out in words a sample game between two players for say, just a level or two?

There are still a lot of aspects I don't quite get about it, like the standard for establishing par times, who designs the first level, whether going prone or SHO counts as a position change, if the pictured arrangement is pretty fixed or if there is flexibility in number of targets and target arrangement (and what rules govern that if so), if targets can be used multiple times or not (otherwise level 8 with 5 targets and 1 shot per target.......what?), whether specifying which target(s) must be shot from which position is part of a level or not. Alright I'll stop

This is really really cool .
    OK ... I can do that:

Three players, Alice, Bob and Charlie, Alice and Bob are good, Charlie is 1/2 as good as Alice. Charlie gets ~.50 per position handicap.

Alice, being the swinging dick, calls out the first position:
    From behind the far barrel, left side, draw and shoot the three poppers in the middle, L-C-R-C-L.

She's doesn't clean it.
    Bob cleans it in 3.25 and sets the initial par. Now Charlie goes, then Alice, then Bob for 3 turns.

Charlie gets lucky and cleans it in 4. This sets the par to 3 seconds for Alice and Bob.

Alice, on her 2nd try sets the par at 2.97, which sets the par for Charlie at 3.47.

Last shooter is Bob and he can't match a 2.97.

Alice, being the swinging dick, calls out the 2nd position:
    Position1: Middle-left barrel, from the outside, shoot the leftmost little place, then shoot the rightmost little plate.
    Position2: Run to the forward-right barrel and shoot the 3 plates in the middle right-to-left from the inside. (5 shots in all)

Make sense? I hope that helps. (Need to go in a sec so I wrote this in a hurry)

I'd say SHO and WHO are positions. I'd say prone is a position.

All good ideas, it's more an issue of us just not having any steel targets though.
    The steel keeps the game progressing fast... No time wasted on resetting, etc... Just shoot. Keep the line hot and iterate through ....

Even with 5 people it goes FAST.

OK ... I can do that:

Three players, Alice, Bob and Charlie, Alice and Bob are good, Charlie is 1/2 as good as Alice. Charlie gets ~.50 per position handicap.

Alice, being the swinging dick, calls out the first position:
    From behind the far barrel, left side, draw and shoot the three poppers in the middle, L-C-R-C-L.

She's doesn't clean it.
    Bob cleans it in 3.25 and sets the initial par. Now Charlie goes, then Alice, then Bob for 3 turns.

Charlie gets lucky and cleans it in 4. This sets the par to 3 seconds for Alice and Bob.

Alice, on her 2nd try sets the par at 2.97, which sets the par for Charlie at 3.47.

Last shooter is Bob and he can't match a 2.97.

Alice, being the swinging dick, calls out the 2nd position:
    Position1: Middle-left barrel, from the outside, shoot the leftmost little place, then shoot the rightmost little plate.
    Position2: Run to the forward-right barrel and shoot the 3 plates in the middle right-to-left from the inside. (5 shots in all)

Make sense? I hope that helps. (Need to go in a sec so I wrote this in a hurry)

I'd say SHO and WHO are positions. I'd say prone is a position.
    Perfect, thanks!

User Tag List