Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Hunting Rifle Match

Site Supporter

RFI: Hunting Rifle Match

I'm on our local club's board of directors and have been asked to put together a hunting rifle match. The idea is for a match that would simulate hunting scenarios using "standard" big game hunting rifles. This would not be a test of physical conditioning. We have plenty of distance, gobs of steel targets, and some props that could be used for support. Has anyone run and/or participated in something like this? If so, I'd love your input as to CoF, scoring, equipment restrictions, time limits, other rules, round count, etc. From the Big Empty, ELN.
    Last edited by Wyoming Shooter; 01-16-2017 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Grammar

Contact the group that puts on the local Rendezvous for blackpowder/Mountain Men/Buckskinners and see f you can crib their notes for a Woods Walk. Don't remember if they had a Woods Walk at Bridger, but damn! that was a helluva Rendezvous!
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

NRA Whittington Center had a match like that years ago. I don't recall the name, but it was unknown distance shots on steel. In addition to black powder clubs, check with anybody who does long range black powder cartridge matches in your area.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Jeff Cooper wrote of such a hunter's test called the Keneyathalon. There are scant references to it online but I do have an old Finn Aagard article that describes a Keneyathalon match in some detail. Lemme see if I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    NRA Whittington Center had a match like that years ago. I don't recall the name, but it was unknown distance shots on steel. In addition to black powder clubs, check with anybody who does long range black powder cartridge matches in your area.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMD View Post
    Jeff Cooper wrote of such a hunter's test called the Keneyathalon. There are scant references to it online but I do have an old Finn Aagard article that describes a Keneyathalon match in some detail. Lemme see if I can find it.
    It was indeed the Keneyathalon, and I participated in it in successive years. Ed, give me a shout if you need details.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It was indeed the Keneyathalon, and I participated in it in successive years. Ed, give me a shout if you need details.

Was this the hunting simulation with disappearing targets?

Rough description was you traveled a two hour or so field course, moving as fast as you could. Periodically you reached designated shooting areas. There, you had to first identify each target, and you would be penalized one point for each target you missed. Then, you shot only at the targets you thought you could hit, and for every target you shot you got one point, and you lost a point for each shot on target you missed. Targets were twelve inch steel, distances were unknown, and no laser range finders. Pretty much a scoot, shoot, scoot event. Keep your ear plugs out running so you could listen for rattlers. I used a Camelbak, an HS Precision .25-06, Leupold 3.5-10, carried a G23.

Site Supporter
    Thanks all for the replies. The demographics of our club membership will not support much physicality. What I need is a format that emphasizes shooting from field positions, with a hunting rifle, at realistic distances. These guys do not run and gun. Best, ELN.

There may be some odds and ends that may be usable from the practical field shooters, similar to the Kenyathalon type stuff, mainly various targets sizes, various distances. They do it on a course, but that wouldn't really be required, any more than moving from one distance or target group to another.

This stuff is the higher level type guns and courses, but you may be able to adapt some concepts. He did a series of articles on the various aspects, some of the shooting stations are mentioned.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/pract...ing-equipment/
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-16-2017 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Thanks all for the replies. The demographics of our club membership will not support much physicality. What I need is a format that emphasizes shooting from field positions, with a hunting rifle, at realistic distances. These guys do not run and gun. Best, ELN.
    If you took the movement off the clock/out of the scoring, I think the Keneyathalon format of targets and scoring is worth considering. Jeff Cooper was a proponent of that format.

User Tag List