Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on buying a used revolver

^^^briefly, there are some documented instances of the lock self-engaging on recoil. My own view is that this is a rare occurrence, but once would clearly be way more than enough. Some people don't care; I don't own any S&Ws with locks.

S&W has been quietly selling a lot of 442s without the lock, ever since a large PD declined to authorize 442s with the lock for their officers. I've bought 3 to date from my LGS, and I have no special in with S&W.

JMO.

ETA: so far as I am aware, there is no other difference, besides the added complexity and slight possible risk of failure.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 01-18-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    so far as I am aware, there is no other difference, besides the added complexity and slight possible risk of failure.
    Why chance it when you don't have to. Get the no lock or a pre-lock. Not like they are unavailable or cost prohibitive. Plus, that slight risk may occur at an inopportune and life ending moment for you or someone you care for.
    Last edited by Willard; 01-18-2017 at 11:02 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Just a note: As far as I have been able to determine, the Airlite models with different-colored pivot pins visible on the left side of the frame have stainless steel pins. If there are not several round dots of lighter colored metal visible, the pins are aluminum. Still pressed in. It's possible this could lead to differences in performance/smoothness or durability, though I haven't seen it quantified other than in significantly higher prices for the steel pin models. There is enough variation in S&W production that I would hesitate to take subtle differences observed between two individual samples as conclusive of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    There is enough variation in S&W production that I would hesitate to take subtle differences observed between two individual samples as conclusive of anything.
    Yes. But... generally, not that much of an issue, depending upon ammunition. I have shot all sorts of various .38 Special, factory and reloads, since 2001 in my M-360PD AirLite, with simply no issues. ALWAYS carry CCI 135 +P. I'm looking seriously now for a NIB M-340PD no-lock to complete my "departure" group; I'll need something if the old M-360PD gets taken, whatever, and my M-342 will be the absolute last to get away. You got time to think about that sort of thing now, when one's whole situation has changed.

Thanks for all the input! I researched the auction a little more and it seems that they charge a fee and taxes on top of what I buy it for. Unless I can get it for $200 +fees I don't know if it will be worth it. I found out S&w has a first responder program so I might be able to grab one of those.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

User Tag List