Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on buying a used revolver

Advice on buying a used revolver

Long story short: a local gun range just went out of business and is auctioning off all their inventory. I have been eying a small revolver as a "rule 1" / BUG.

They have for auction:
    S&W 642
    Ruger LCR
    Both in 38 special

I know that both of these guns were used as rental guns but don't know any round counts.

I know next to nothing about what I should look for.

At what price point would you buy these?

Or should I stay away?

I can go check them out in person the day before the auction but as I mentioned, I don't know what to look for.

Thanks P-F!!
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Advice on buying a used revolver

I'd go no higher than $275 OTD on the 442 or $250 on the LCR.

New, 442's can go for $320, and LCR's in .38, they can be $299.
    Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 01-18-2017 at 03:29 PM. Reason: The plaque for the Runner Up is in the lady's room

Personally, I'd just buy either of these new, as they can be found cheaply as Dr. House indicated. If these are rental guns, you could wind up paying a lot more than you initially "saved" on any "deal."

Here is a decent guide to inspection should you elect to proceed with the auction. http://www.friedmanhandguntraining.c...inspection.pdf

Dr. House has it.

Conjecture time: of the two, I'd expect the LCR to have the higher round count, because the novelty of J frames wore off before the advent of range rental programs. every time I go to a range, I see someone trying the LCR, the Shield and the G42/43, but aside from the 340PD (trial of which typically lasts 1-2 cylinders), I can't remember the last time I saw someone renting a centennial. JMO, OMMV, etc.

ETA: I get Willard's concern, but I've had good CS out of both companies before. I'd do the 442 for maybe $250-275, myself, barring something obvious upon inspection. Like a lock...
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 01-18-2017 at 03:21 PM.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Jeez. I confess I have little experience buying guns online.

AND, I have been radically overpaying for J frames, I see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Sorry for the offtopic but that site has M&P 15 Sport IIs for $499! - https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-5310
    Last edited by FPS; 01-18-2017 at 03:54 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Whittaker is a first class operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I'd go no higher than $275 OTD on the 442 or $250 on the LCR.

New, 442's can go for $320, and LCR's in .38, they can be $299.
    Awesome thank you! That gives me a good baseline.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Personally, I'd just buy either of these new, as they can be found cheaply as Dr. House indicated. If these are rental guns, you could wind up paying a lot more than you initially "saved" on any "deal."

Here is a decent guide to inspection should you elect to proceed with the auction. http://www.friedmanhandguntraining.c...inspection.pdf
    Paying more for maintenance/repairs than I saved is a concern for me. That is a very thorough link thank you! I think I shall proceed with caution and only pounce if it's a smoking deal.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Wow that's a great deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Dr. House has it.

Conjecture time: of the two, I'd expect the LCR to have the higher round count, because the novelty of J frames wore off before the advent of range rental programs. every time I go to a range, I see someone trying the LCR, the Shield and the G42/43, but aside from the 340PD (trial of which typically lasts 1-2 cylinders), I can't remember the last time I saw someone renting a centennial. JMO, OMMV, etc.

ETA: I get Willard's concern, but I've had good CS out of both companies before. I'd do the 442 for maybe $250-275, myself, barring something obvious upon inspection. Like a lock...
    Okay, maybe you can help me on the lock. I understand why they have them but is there a difference in the guns outside of the lock?

User Tag List