Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I hate grip-strength trainers...

Why I hate grip-strength trainers...

(Also - this guys youtube channel is hell-good if you dig music...)
    Last edited by Sal Picante; 01-18-2017 at 01:23 PM.

...so all this talk about grip strength is total clickbait?

Tumbling...goes my world...lost in the dark....
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Not at all.

Grip strength is key in a lot of activities like shooting or playing guitar. He is simply pointing out that focusing on the phalanges themselves really does not help with grip strength and can be detrimental to your tendons. Instead work on your forearm and wrist strength along with shoulders, back and core. All these work toward grip strength.

Ask anyone who is serious about power lifting how important core strength and balance is to a heavy squat or dead lift. The strongest quads in the world need everything else to work along side or you get hurt bad real quick.

I may be out of date on training techniques, I haven't been a serious free weight guy in quite a few years. When I was lifting, I spent as much, if not more time doing lighter, high rep sets of core work like good mornings and basic arm exercises on an Indo Board or balance ball than I did on a hack or leg press to work up to heavy squats and such. Though my idea of heavy and some of you guys are probably very far apart, I ain't exactly a big guy.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 01-18-2017 at 07:40 PM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

When I was learning to play bass, I was taught to use the ring and pinky as one finger, unless you need to play something complex which requires all four fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    why I hate grip trainers...)
    I thought it was because you're a cry baby.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    When I was learning to play bass, I was taught to use the ring and pinky as one finger, unless you need to play something complex which requires all four fingers.
    I got small hands, I need my pinky to run a pentatonic scale.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    The ring and pinky fingers share a tendon to contract them. You can do bad stuff to yourself quickly if you try and do twice as much with that tendon.
    (This is a public service message from a pro bass and guitar builder.)
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 01-19-2017 at 01:09 AM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

If you want good grip strength, deadlift, squat, KB swing, bench press, oh press, pull up... you get the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I keep seeing guys abuse Crush grippers without realizing that they gotta hit the gym to really make those gains using a different method...

The next question is always, invariably, "Do you know how to treat tendonosis/tendonitits?"

Ok...

I am treating the CoC grippers as an accessory to my regular workout program. Yes, a lot of guys go crazy and overtrain them. I am only using them once a week, but 3 to 4 days later I do pull ups, hammer curls, etc.

User Tag List