Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns and England

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    We can always overrun Canada.
    Or New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    This thread just reminds me that there's nowhere else to go. If we lose America, it's over.
    Nah, there are places to go.

Estonia, Uruguay, Finland, Czech Republic, Serbia, and Switzerland.

Not gun friendly, but Singapore is nice. Minimal extradition capability for the U.S., minimal taxes, virtually no government censorship, great climate.

Aren't suppressors over the counter?

I absolutely LOVE this picture:

Found at this site, under the Rimfire Rifle link:
    http://www.reflexsuppressors.co.uk/

Good luck. I wouldn't mind living in England for a year. A good buddy spent 2+ years there and loved it. Calls everyone mate now.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Nah, there are places to go.

Estonia, Uruguay, Finland, Czech Republic, Serbia, and Switzerland.

Not gun friendly, but Singapore is nice. Minimal extradition capability for the U.S., minimal taxes, virtually no government censorship, great climate.
    Although Finland and Czech Republic are working to counter the EU's latest rounds of disarmament, the registration schemes already in place in Czech Republic and Switzerland are at a level CA and NY legislators dream of. Haven't checked out Finland's regs, just the hardware they export

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    We can always overrun Canada.

Oh like you're the only people that can build a wall
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Although Finland and Czech Republic are working to counter the EU's latest rounds of disarmament, the registration schemes already in place in Czech Republic and Switzerland are at a level CA and NY legislators dream of. Haven't checked out Finland's regs, just the hardware they export
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overvi...laws_by_nation

Finland - No Concealed Carry Provision
    Estonia - Yes - Shall Issue - but Condition 3 for semi-autos (revolvers can be fully loaded).
    Switzerland - Yes - Shall Issue - If you pass a test\
    Czech Republic - Yes - Shall Issue

Every country in the world with civilian ownership of weapons has registration of some type - including our own. We're fortunate that the right to keep and bear arms is a Constitutionally Protected RIGHT of the citizenry. But overall, gun ownership in some countries in the world isn't even as onerous as it is in California or New York. Yes - it takes time and money to acquire the right license/permit to purchase but generally, once in the system, you're able to navigate it easily and easily acquire, keep, and use firearms.

And then you have to consider the relative ease of living in that country. If I left the United States - for any reason - chances are good it would be to a country that scores higher on the individual liberty scale. The Czech Republic, Switzerland, Finland - all score above the US on the Human Freedom Index (by the Cato Institute) and Estonia is 21st on the scale...the U.S. for example is 19th.

All Estonian firearms permits are valid for five years only. That has never sat well with me. If Estonians ever vote a leftist government to power, disarming the population of civilian owned firearms is going to be really easy...

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Last edited by OlongJohnson; 01-20-2017 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    The IPSC people will have the info needed. Having looked into it somewhat in the past, I seem to recall you may be able to join a club and shoot club guns, on club property, and the guns live there. Not sure exactly how it works as a non-resident.
    This is excellent advice. Many, many years ago, while travelling, I had a free weekend in Singapore. I found a gun shop to look around and someone there told me about an IPSC match the next day. I went to check it out. People were really nice. Someone offered to loan me a gun and ammo to shoot the match. I was not expecting to be able to shoot but I did.

On the flip side, I was in a gun shop once in the US. There was a Swiss gentleman checking out the guns. He was in the US working for a few years. He missed shooting in practical pistol matches that he used to participate in at home. So I invited him the next IPSC match I went to and loaned him a gun to shoot.

So the moral of the story is find a gun shop that has pistols and you will find like-minded gun nuts.

At the worst case you might start hanging out at Purdey's and buying a fine shotgun for export, just to get a gun fix.
    Last edited by DamonL; 01-20-2017 at 08:48 AM.

You may have noted this last part or not...

In 2014 there were 173 attempted and completed homicides, of which 18 involved firearms (10.4%). 41 of them were completed, therefore Switzerland had a murder rate of 0.49 per 100,000 population..
    By contrast, Chicago has had 34 homicides from Jan 1-Jan 20 of this year. So Chicago has a murder rate of 1.21/100,000 people in the first 20-days of 2017.

My point is - I'm all for concealed carry and self-defense, but in terms of rationality and necessity - it's virtually a non-necessity in Switzerland. Whereas in Chicago it is a virtual necessity to defend oneself.

User Tag List