Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Guns and England

Site Supporter
    I have a specific knife I bought for my trips to the UK: A Canal Stree Cutlery Canittler. The large blade is below their length restrictions and it doesn't lock. The jigged bone further differentiates it from a "weapon".

FWIW, the British Museum, Westminster Abbey, and many other VERY historical landmarks don't frog-march you through a metal detector like the Smithsonian and other similar US landmarks do, going back to previous statements about "freedom".

While most of my UK experience is central London, I did spend a week in Swindon. Even in that town, a place my British coworkers described quite negatively, I did not once feel unsafe.

Chris

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Years ago I had a discussion with a cop in Italy about public perceptions and how it in America it is considered "normal" for cops to use shotguns but SMGs were viewed as extreme and militarization vs Europe where it is considered "normal" for cops to have SMGs and police use of shotguns was considered extreme and even inhumane and restricted to SWAT.
    According to the videos posted earlier, it is easier in England to get a license for a shotgun than it is to get a license for a .22LR of any sort.

On the other hand, the guy did have to show ID and a firearms permit to purchase ammo. I doubt they can just order a case of Brenneke slugs or LE132 Flite Control off the internet. Or perhaps at all, if they are a civilian.

As I typed that, I started feeling intellectually lazy, so I googled. Found the 271-page Home Office "Guide on Firearms Licensing Law."

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...l_2016_v20.pdf

Another thing to read when I get a round tuit at some point in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I've researched their knife laws some, but I may call the London PD for more specific information. In a nutshell, the blades have to basically be small and relatively useless. I also need to find out more regarding their legal standards too. I may contact our lawyer there and see if he can point me in the right direction on these things (specifically self-defense law), I'll post them here if anyone is interested.
    I'd be interested in this. My understanding based on my limited knowledge is that both there and in Australia, and to a perhaps lesser extent in Canada, there is essentially no meaningful legal allowance for self-defense in the anti-violence laws, especially so if a weapon is used.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    According to the videos posted earlier, it is easier in England to get a license for a shotgun than it is to get a license for a .22LR of any sort.

On the other hand, the guy did have to show ID and a firearms permit to purchase ammo. I doubt they can just order a case of Brenneke slugs or LE132 Flite Control off the internet. Or perhaps at all, if they are a civilian.

As I typed that, I started feeling intellectually lazy, so I googled. Found the 271-page Home Office "Guide on Firearms Licensing Law."

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...l_2016_v20.pdf

Another thing to read when I get a round tuit at some point in the future.

I'd be interested in this. My understanding based on my limited knowledge is that both there and in Australia, and to a perhaps lesser extent in Canada, there is essentially no meaningful legal allowance for self-defense in the anti-violence laws, especially so if a weapon is used.
    I was referring to use of shotguns by Police - it was explained to me the use of shotguns by police was frowned on because they are considered hunting weapons intended for use on animals and therefore using them on people was inhumane and degrading.

Agreed on the U.K. / commonwealth legal attitude towards self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

I believe theres fairly tight limits on the amount of ammo one can have on hand, and limits on how much of certain types, like slugs an buck. Hopefully we can get more explicit information.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I was referring to use of shotguns by Police - it was explained to me the use of shotguns by police was frowned on because they are considered hunting weapons intended for use on animals and therefore using them on people was inhumane and degrading.
    I get it, but I still want to say...complaining about being hung with a new rope.

Although, I can imagine the grabbers manufacturing a similar reaction if circumstances led to a US police officer taking out a bad guy with a really nice pre-64 Winchester that he (or she) usually uses for elk. Diane Feinstein has already talked about it being "legal to hunt humans."

I'll be honest, I thought it was kinda weird to see a pair of foot patrol officers in dress uniform walk past the restaurant with SMGs when I was in Italy.

RE ammo limits in the UK: There is a section starting on p. 27 of the linked document banning expanding ammo except for specific purposes, which include hunting deer and rabbits. You have to convince the local CLEO that one of the specifically allowed purposes applies to your situation, and then your permission slip will include quantity limits.

The bulk purchase of ammunition for the purpose of economy is not acceptable as good
    reason for possession. Possession of 250 rounds for deer stalking, and possession of 750
    rounds for vermin control should generally be regarded as reasonable (but see paragraph
    4.7 and Chapter 13).

13.24 Those involved in shooting vermin will normally be authorised to possess up to 750
    rounds. Expanding ammunition may be authorised for this purpose. However, larger
    allocations may be required in some circumstances, perhaps for individuals who are
    responsible for pest control over large areas of land or where there are serious infestations,
    for example of rabbits. In such cases, it may be appropriate to authorise the individual to
    possess up to 1,500 rounds. These amounts are only guides and should not be seen as
    absolute limits to be applied in all cases. An applicant who is responsible for a lot of pest
    control may reasonably want two rifles firing the same, or a closely allied cartridge.

Fox
    13.25 [...]
    Those involved in shooting foxes will normally be authorised to possess up to 250 rounds,
    but consideration should be given to each shooter’s individual circumstances, particularly
    where re-loaders are acquiring missiles. See also paragraph 13.9 on allowing the applicant
    flexibility to reasonably shoot other species on named land.

Deer
    13.30 [...]
    Deer stalkers will normally be authorised to possess up to 250 rounds of ammunition but
    account should be taken of individual circumstances, for example where re-loaders are
    acquiring missiles or where the shooter is a professional deer stalker.

They're a bit more reasonable for competition:

13.54 Chief officers of police should also consider the “good reason” for possession of
    ammunition quantities for target shooting. Allocations of 1,000 rounds, to possess,
    purchase or acquire, are not unreasonable for most regular shooters. A serious target
    shooter (for example in a county or national squad) may reasonably wish to possess up
    to 6,000 rounds to ensure consistency in performance between batches. In exceptional
    circumstances greater amounts may be required. These figures should be used as guides
    only and should not be interpreted as absolute limits. This is normally applicable to .22RF
    rather than full-bore target shooting. Economy of purchase (‘bulk buying’) is not considered
    satisfactory as “good reason”.

Here's the big question:

Firearms for personal protection
    13.80 Applications for the grant of a firearm certificate for the applicant’s, or another’s, protection,
    or that of premises, should be refused on the grounds that firearms are not an acceptable
    means of protection in Great Britain. It has been the view of successive Governments for
    many years that the private possession and carriage of firearms for personal protection is
    likely to lead to an increase in levels of violence. This principle should be maintained in the
    case of applications from representatives of banks and firms protecting valuables or large
    quantities of money, or from private security guards and bodyguards. *
    The exception to
    this would be armed guards on UK flagged ships, the justification being the unique threat
    posed by piracy to cargo and passenger ships in specific high risk geographical areas.

*I added the bold.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 01-22-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Site Supporter
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38752258

'Thousands' of knife crime victims aged 18 or younger
    25 January 2017 Last updated at 22:22 GMT
    A BBC investigation has revealed the extent of knife crime across the UK.
    Figures show that a knife or blade was used in a crime every 16 minutes on average last year.
    The number of incidents involving machetes has risen by more than 60% over the last 3 years in England and Wales according to Freedom of Information request responses from just over half of police forces.
    Knife crime across England and Wales is up 11% in the last year and nearing levels of five years ago.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-26-2017 at 05:29 PM.

The outlook toward self defense in England is far less permissive in general than any place in the US.

There was a case where someone in a wheelchair was pushed across the street to facilitate mugging him. The person in the wheelchair peppersprayed the mugger. The person in the wheelchair was arrested.

There was also the case of a famous British singer who looked out her kitchen window and observed two people breaking into her garden shed and screamed at them she was calling the police and waved a kitchen knife at them from inside her house to scare them away. The police came and told her that she could be arrested for that: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rs-garden.html

I remember posting on a UK based self defense forum where people were discussing home defense weapons given their lack of guns. I suggested a lead pipe--about 12"-18" in length since it had a high density and could really do some damage to a dangerous attacker if you hit them. Someone responded to my post by asking how they could explain to the police why they had a lead pipe in their bedroom.

Really?

Someone invades your house and closes with you to do serious bodily harm and the police are going to be upset at you for having a lead pipe and using it to defend yourself?

The crime in certain places in England--like London may be low. But things like burglary of occupied residence is overall higher than in the US. One of the reasons for it is that criminals in the UK know that law abiding citizens lack the means to defend themselves and are afraid of how the law will treat them if they do.
    Last edited by Ed L; 01-27-2017 at 02:45 AM.

User Tag List