Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns and England

Guns and England

Hey all,

Hope everyone is well. I've been traveling to London a decent amount for business, and it looks like I may relocate to London for a year or so while I close out/oversee a deal. Any suggestions on gun laws (beyond the obvious no pistol stuff), where/how to compete in Pistol, etc? It's only a 12-14 months, so I could possibly get away with dry firing like a mad man with a SIRT. Are those legal there? Any tips, tricks, or advice would be greatly appreciated. My google searches are coming up rather empty.

So far my worst case scenario is: 1) Use SIRT constantly (if legal); 2) Catch Eurostar/train to Czech Republic to compete a couple of times in a year so I don't get completely rusty.
    Last edited by Kirk; 01-18-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Nothing to add but my condolences.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Learn to love shotguns, 22 semi autos and manually operated center fire rifles
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Nothing to add but my condolences.
    Yeah, it's going to be a strange year.

Site Supporter
    What takes you over there? I work for a British company and have gone over a few times. I'll probably be going over once or twice a year going forward.

As for guns, you're going to be pretty limited in what you can shoot. If the customer rep I was talking to a few years ago was entirely accurate, you're liable to be harassed by the police quite a bit. You know those scary unannounced "inspections" folks think the ATF can do to C&R licensees, well it appears the police can do that to any gun owner there. Don't know how truthful that is, but it was enough for that guy to give up his guns and only shoot when he visited the US.

Since I only go over for a week or so at a time, I've never really looked into the gun thing myself.

Chris

According to BBC, their Olympic Team can shoot in Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands, or the Isle of Mann, or travel to Switzerland. Not sure how that translates to non-olympic shooters, but I suppose the main idea is to make it so onerous that no one bothers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...12/4162498.stm
    Last edited by Willard; 01-18-2017 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    What takes you over there? I work for a British company and have gone over a few times. I'll probably be going over once or twice a year going forward.

As for guns, you're going to be pretty limited in what you can shoot. If the customer rep I was talking to a few years ago was entirely accurate, you're liable to be harassed by the police quite a bit. You know those scary unannounced "inspections" folks think the ATF can do to C&R licensees, well it appears the police can do that to any gun owner there. Don't know how truthful that is, but it was enough for that guy to give up his guns and only shoot when he visited the US.

Since I only go over for a week or so at a time, I've never really looked into the gun thing myself.

Chris
    That sounds like a major hassle! I'm going to try the SIRT idea and avoid ownership! That sounds really annoying.

I very recently became a managing partner for my Dads oil business. He's in his mid 60s and has zero interest in traveling much anymore. Therefore, I'm now relegated to that job �� It was very unexpected, as I had just started my own business in another industry when he started recruiting me lol.

Site Supporter
    I'd be interested to know how it all works out. Wondering if folks shoot trap and skeet over there much? Could be a good keeping shooting thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Catch Eurostar/train to Czech Republic to compete a couple of times in a year so I don't get completely rusty.
    This is a cool place for shooting in Germany:

magnum-dsz.de:
    MAGNUM Düsseldorfer Schiess-Sport-Zentrum
    Altenbergstrasse 99a
    40235 Düsseldorf
    Would be closer to England than the Czech Republic.

PS:
    If you want to know more about sport shooting in Germany, just ask there:
    forum.waffen-online.de/forum/182-english-language-forum
    Or shoot a message into my inbox.
    Last edited by P30; 01-18-2017 at 03:14 PM.

This is waaaaay OT, but, I sort of feel like drive-by posting this commentary about firearms ownership from an English buddy of mine, just because it cracked me up:

"We once had guns here.. look what happened.. we took over half the globe and shot everything that moved. Tigers, elephants, africans, indians, americans, the french, italians, pakistanis, afghans, australians, argentines, the odd canadian, irish, scottish, spanish, german, portugese,......... africans, turkistanians, fucking everyone."

I love the guy, and I give him credit for coming as close as anyone to a decent argument for gun control that I've ever heard. Didn't change my mind, but it did make me LOL.

User Tag List