Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Expandable baton suggestions

Site Supporter

Expandable baton suggestions

Hello,
    I have joined my local PD auxiliary police unit and we started the training academy.
    I need a ASP expandable style baton, and I'm looking for suggestions on which brand.

The instructors said don't get a cheap one but didn't really give any brand names. Well looking on a few sites I see prices anywhere from $20.00 to $150 range.
    I'm thinking of getting this one:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/131...with-mega-grip

Triple-K makes decent mags but I don't know about the batons. I also need handcuffs and they did suggest either Peerless or S&W.

I would appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Thanks!

"Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Is there a standard size/length you need?

We are issued Friction Loc ASP Batons, we are supposed to have 21" but I carry a 16" - it's better as it doesn't dig into your side when you sit or bounce off your armor when you walk around.

Just a note for use - when you hit people make sure you hit them with the tip. If you do not, and hit someone with the joint, it has a good chance of breaking. I've broken about five ASP's so far on people, thankfully my PD replaces them without issues.

It is a good baton, I'd recommend it over the push button types.
    Last edited by voodoo_man; 01-18-2017 at 08:10 AM.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    I need either 21' or 26'.
    Last edited by Whirlwind06; 01-18-2017 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I need either 21' or 26'.
    Get an ASP, they are cheap.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

If you are not type restricted by policy, definitely get a Peacekeeper as Hambo suggested earlier.

They make an ASP and Monadnock feel like a toy because they (peacekeeper) bias the weight into the end shaft so you have better force on target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

I have an ASP 21" and a monadnock push button... both issued. We started with ASP, but they found that people closing them on pavement knarled up the tip. Then, when it was swung, allegedly the knicks and gouges in the tip could cut suspects. Not that we cared about the suspect, but why risk blood born pathogen exposure.

So we issue push button monadnock now. If you still are old school enough to have an issued asp, I think you can still carry it, but for the last ten years it has been the auto lock.

I have never hit anyone with a baton. I don't think many my office have. But we have busted lots of windows, and dug through piles of shit with them. I have sprayed with OC, may or may not have hit with flashlights, but just never go for the baton. I think it can be a good tool, but they are hollow. No real weight. A super stinger loaded with some battery weight still has some heft. But many agencies strictly prohibit using a flashlight or radio as an impact weapon....

Pr24 and solid wood had heft, but were awkward to carry, collapsible is easy to carry, but no heft.

Also, the longer the baton, the better the stand off distance, BUT, longer ones can bend easier depending on what part of it hits the suspect. 21 is the longest I would want, even though 26 feels pretty good in the hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

A lot of equipment choices are personal, in general ASP brand anything is sub-par. How they tricked the majority of US LE into using their product is beyond me. As mentioned above for an expandable baton the RCB is really the only decent option. Both Asp and Monodnock are generally worthless for their intended use, they are great for poking things and adjusting vents in the car though. If you aren't allowed to carry an RCB I would get the smallest and lightest option that is allowed, it is just more weight you have to carry. Many here get rid of them as soon as they can and just use a flashlight for an impact weapon (that's what I do because our liberal department is scared of the RCB).

As far as cuffs, they are a personal choice as well. As long as you stay with peerless, s&w or hiatt you'll be fine. Just avoid ASP brand like the plague. I personally prefer a pair of hinge and a pair of chain. At least with Peerless the hinged are a bit bigger and the chain go a bit smaller.I use the hinge 99% of the time, but if I have a smaller female or Juvi I use the chain.

I've been a control tactics instructor for my agency for over a decade, so I've done a lot of research on this issue in order to keep current (have to do annual recertification training for my squad, so it's part of the job). We're issued 16" ASPs. They're worthless. They're so worthless as an impact weapon (lack of reach, lack of ability to generate power, etc), that I generally urge everyone during refresher training to only use them in closed mode like the world's biggest roll of quarters. As I said, I try to keep up on this issue, and I know of lots of incidents with other agencies issuing ASP products of them bending and otherwise failing; but mainly hearing that they suck in actual use.

I have a Winchester 21" baton (predecessor of the Peacekeeper) and it's night-and-day different from ASP/Monadnock, etc. If policy would permit me to carry it, I'd have it on my "tactical" vest all the time. I've seen them actually employed, and they work.

Of course, any baton doing its job is dependent on the officer/agent being able to use it effectively - e.g. knowing how to swing the f'ing thing, and what target zones to use.

http://www.peacekeeperproducts.com/batons.aspx

This, so much of this. I heard San Antonio PD called them "shit sticks" because the first guy they used one on shit himself.

Although I don't carry a baton, I've used and handled the Peacekeeper models and they are the only thing worth looking at IMHO. It's a well made and thought out tool. The additional bonus is that the certification is a lot more common sense than ASPs. You can even poke/ jab with the peacekeeper which is an excellent technique to get people back.
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 01-18-2017 at 02:43 PM.

User Tag List