Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Expandable baton suggestions

My ASP is in a drawer somewhere in the back of my Tahoe. If I need a baton I take my PR24.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
    We have straight sticks for that
    Broke my issued straight stick 6 months in.

Got another one and broke that one a week after I broke my first ASP.

Some old-timers have oak or cherry sticks and they seem to hold up well.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Peacekeeper > ASP > Monadnock.

Like Gadfly, in 20 years I've never hit anyone with a collapsible baton. Radios and flashlights yes, collapsible baton, no. I've seen two people hit with the ASP resulting in a bent batons. Consider them disposable.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I've hit a lot of people, on numerous occasions. If you know how to use them they won't break on you.
    Of the handful of drunks I've used an ASP on, none appeared to feel it at the time. I'm sure they were sore as hell when they woke up the next morning in jail, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    My ASP is in a drawer somewhere in the back of my Tahoe. If I need a baton I take my PR24.
    Currently using a PR-24 STS. I'd like to test drive one of the Peacekeepers, but baton + end cap + holster is closing in on $200.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I carried an ASP for several years but I was never truly impressed with them. Then I bought a Winchester epandable, which now appears to be PeaceKeeper. For an expandable, that is a solid stick.

I'm done with expandables though. I bought a cocabollo dymond wood stick for Koga a couple years ago. Am very happy with and it has a traditonal look too.

FWIW, I delivered a perfect "Happy Gilmore" baton strike to a suspect's common peroneal with a 26" Monadnock auto-lock. I have a picture of the perfectly placed bruise to confirm placement. The net effect of the strike was that it allowed me to get the suspect on the ground where he was eventually wrestled into handcuffs. This was after two Taser cartridges and half a can of OC.

I just ordered a 26" Peacekeeper for one of my new guys and if I like it, I'll probably get one for myself.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

The Monadnock and Winchester weren't an option on my department until after I left. The only thing that sucks worse than an ASP is an airweight ASP. The only thing that they are good for is your Sergeant can look on your belt and see that, yes, there is a baton there.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I run the peacekeeper products RCB. As previously mentioned it is a real thumper, and very effective. I went to a two week impact weapons instructor school where I was first introduced to the RCB. During that school we dressed up in a modified red man padded suit which allowed all of us to "sample" full power strikes from all the various commonly used LE impact weapons. These included the orcut police nunchuka, PR-24, traditional straight stick, long riot baton, ASP and the RCB. The only one that packed more punch was the long riot baton. The RCB outclassed everything else by a mile. Quite a bit of thought went into the design of the RCB and it is a VERY effective impact weapon.

Well this has been a perfectly timed thread. Coming out of retirement next month, starting a private security job. My background was walking galleries for 25, years with a very effective 26" straight stick, a most effective tool. The new employer required a collapsable baton only. Real life experience with ASP years ago made me thankful I was holding a D-cell mag-light. 21" Peacekeeper arrived today. Yes Sir, I believe this will work if and when needed. Thanks PF
    Attachment 13462

Site Supporter

Expandable baton suggestions

Is anyone here experienced with the Smith & Wesson brand expandables? The Govt recently issued me one for an overseas job, so I'm curious how those compare. I could easily swap it out for an ASP, but I'm not sure that'd be an upgrade.
    Last edited by Dave J; 01-26-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Peacekeeper > ASP > Monadnock.

Like Gadfly, in 20 years I've never hit anyone with a collapsible baton. Radios and flashlights yes, collapsible baton, no. I've seen two people hit with the ASP resulting in a bent batons. Consider them disposable.

In 20 years I never hit anyone with an expanded baton. Riot duty we are issued a wooden one that works quite well.

They do work well for knocking on doors, hammer strikes, sternum rubs, saying hello with a jab to the ribs. All of these things are best done with the baton collapsed. So I bought an aluminum lightweight asp. And yes, if you wack the crap out of someone there is a good chance it will bend. But If I needed to actually wack the crap out of someone I figured there was no need to collapse it suddenly. They do bend back, but it's a pain.

Buy a lightweight one. Buy an inexpensive one from a name brand company. Asp, etc.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

User Tag List