Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Folding blades under 2.5 inches and other NPE questions

I forgot to add some commentary in my earlier post.

There aren't many folders without Axis-locks and Waves that I would trust wholeheartedly. I like the CQC-3Ks because they have a fairly sturdy frame-lock, a Wave, the blade holds a good edge, they are just small enough to be innocuous, but have enough "handle" to use effectively. AND they are inexpensive, which is the real bonus. Best in the sub-$50 market, in my opinion.

Moving on - I recommended mostly fixed blades, because I've honestly found in my experience (academic NPE) that small fixed blades are viewed favorably. Something with nice scales and a leather pocket sheath isn't seen as a "weapon", but as a "tool". If you use it to cut your apple at lunch a couple of days a week for a month or so, no one will ever bat an eye at it again. You also have the advantage of getting more handle length to blade-length. The downside is, of course, that they don't carry quite as easily as a small folder. Simultaneously, you're not worried about lock failure, ever. If you go inexpensive like the Woodswalker, again you lost it, you're out about 30 bucks. If a security guy claims it? You're out 30 bucks. If you have to ditch it in a planter, because you forgot to take it out before the metal detector and lose it? 30 bucks.

Remember that NPE isn't just about "improvised" weapons. It's about misdirection. People will almost never look twice at a knife that looks like something their grandfather or uncle would carry. But sure as your born, a 2.5" fixed blade could ruin someone's day, permanently, even clumsily wielded, and with skill? It's over. But no one needs to know about any skillsets with a blade, unless they become applicable. Or put another way - the best camouflage is to hide in plain sight.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-30-2017 at 10:49 PM.

The CRKT Minimalist is also a great low profile fixed blade option.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Folding blades under 2.5 inches and other NPE questions

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    The CRKT Minimalist is also a great low profile fixed blade option.
    I just won one of these in the DotW drawings.

The sheath is ok, but are you aware of any decent sheath alternatives for belt carry for the non-expert (meaning I would just flail away like crazy if I needed it)?

It would be supplementing my EDC Mini Grip (left), carried clipped on my strong side pocket.

Last edited by RJ; 02-01-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I just won one of these in the DotW drawings.

The sheath is ok, but are you aware of any decent sheath alternatives for belt carry for the non-expert (meaning I would just flail away like crazy if I needed it)?

It would be supplementing my EDC Mini Grip (left), carried clipped on my strong side pocket.

DSG makes a sheath for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

The sheath isn't bad. I put a soft loop on mine and carry it the same way I carry a CP.

Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I saw one reply that recommended carrying a folding knife in the open position, in a sheath. Well, as of the time I researched this very thing, there are jurisdictions that specifically prohibit carrying a folding knife opened, in a sheath. LEOSA lets me carry a handgun in most of the USA, but is not knife-friendly, which is why I was researching the topic. This was during my pre-iPad days, so I do not have any links saved.

My favored micro-folder is the original Spyderco Kiwi, which I can actually grip very firmly, though that shorter edition of the Delica, that I just saw mentioned in this thread, now has my urgent attention.

I have usually avoided using a walking stick or cane, as I am still an active police patrol officer, not on light-duty status, but I will be retiring soon, and really do have several issues with my feet and legs, and balance, that could truthfully justify the extra support, at times. I even have a nasty scar, just below one knee, from an injury, and resulting surgery, to show to a persistently inquisitive security person, though that particular injury is actually fully healed.
    Last edited by Rex G; 02-11-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    to show to a persistently inquisitive security person, though that particular injury is actually fully healed.
    It's important to know. That you are not required to demonstrate positive impairment at any exact moment. ADA defines disabled persons as:

Title III protects three categories of individuals with disabilities:

1) Individuals who have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities;

2) Individuals who have a record of a physical or mental impairment that substantially limited one or more of the individual's major life activities; and

3) Individuals who are regarded as having such an impairment, whether they have the impairment or not.
    The law is deliberately broad to prevent discrimination and denial of services due to disability, perceived or real. So, if you have a persistently inquisitive security person, ask them if they want to investigate your hemorrhoids, because they sure are a substantial impairment to life's activities and you need your cane for scratching them...no one wants an itchy asshole...

User Tag List