Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Folding blades under 2.5 inches and other NPE questions

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    Improvised weapons are a great point, I'll have to think on that. I heard a podcast where Steve Fisher discussed improving and that is a great tool NPE or not.

I work on a military base so I'm not willing to risk carrying a folder open, in the unlikely chance it is seen I don't think it would pass the smell test. I work with PMO and could probably get a pass if I was caught but I'm not willing to risk my job to skirt the rules. My understanding is that Virginia also precludes fixed blades.

Locally FPF offers a class on basic knife skills that covers folders, I hope to take it this year.

I really like the idea of carrying my cane except for two points. First is that I don't always need it and I would feel a little "foppish" using it as a walking stick on my good days, which are most of the time. Second is the difficulty in finding good training but that is something I just need to keep looking for.
    Monkey fist = key chain or bottle holder
    F701 pen = best daily worn stabber

FLCknives.Com has some cool stuff, I'll be posting some photos of their blades/sharp pointy stuff.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

It's big to carry around unless you're an electrician or carpenter, but it might not look out of place in your desk.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-48-...N%3DB003I85GT6
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Spyderco sells a Kahr edition of the Delica with a 2.5" blade and full size grip. The design was based on Mike Janich's regrinds for NPE such as yours. It's my Boston / Chicago choice. Speaking of Janich, he offers great improvised weapon training as well as his straight knife material.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    Spyderco sells a Kahr edition of the Delica with a 2.5" blade and full size grip. The design was based on Mike Janich's regrinds for NPE such as yours. It's my Boston / Chicago choice. Speaking of Janich, he offers great improvised weapon training as well as his straight knife material.
    Three different handle colors:

http://www.kahr.com/Kahr-Branded-Cut...ed-Cutlery.asp
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Monkey fist = key chain or bottle holder
    F701 pen = best daily worn stabber

FLCknives.Com has some cool stuff, I'll be posting some photos of their blades/sharp pointy stuff.
    The "Get off Me Tool #4" sure looks like a section of a carbon arrow. The higher the size (spine) number in the link, the stronger the arrow. A pencil sized piece would be really strong, and I'm betting pretty effective in this role.

http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/a...ows/heritage--

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

You can get a folding blade welded in place (or drilled) and get a sheath made up for it.
    I was also going to suggest carrying a folder as a fixed blade.
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

I'm not an expert by any means, on contact weapons or NPEs. I've dealt with both (more NPE) but am by no means an authority on either.

Being prepared without looking prepared is tricky. Things to think on:
    -Can I carry a Black Jack/Sap? Legality and raised eyebrows? Maybe a small pouch for your coins. Or a neato 550 keychain. A long cowboy style wallet is a good stand in.
    -A solid pen carried clipped under the shirt in the button area of a polo. Accessible with both hands, and generally a good idea in NPE. So you can write things down. Check out this post, and this entire thread really.
    -Top popper. Difficult top find, and I have zero experience with them. Designed by Shivworks tells me it is a good option. It's a can opener... and if needed can open someone's can. I suggest a non tactical color.
    -Solid flashlight. A solid construction could make a tighter fist.
    -Durable belt. A solid swing with a durable belt can blister someone's ass. Or stationary, it may hold up pants. Keys on a neck lanyard have a similar effect as a belt with a buckle.
    -Empty hand technique and skill
    While not always possible, the Nike defense also has merit. It should at least be mentioned.
    All of this is of course in addition to what ever knife you can find that foots the bill. If going folder, a wave type option may be handy. I have a nice little knife called the SOG Twitch II. It works for me in a warehouse, and isn't perfect for defense but is a solid little pointy thing. Add it to the pile of things to look at.

Hopefully this stuff helps people in more than one NPE. Most of this stuff we be good to go anywhere but it definitely all comes with limits depending on your specific environment, legality, personal level of acceptable risk, and physical ability. None of it is as good as we would like to have should we need any of it. Being on a military base some things should seem more "of the norm" in your area, hopefully opening up new options.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 01-22-2017 at 12:03 PM.

For casual but strict NPE's, I second Voodoo's suggestion of a Zebra F701 pen, and I also carry a SureFire EB1. I carry these anyplace I'm likely to be subjected to a security screening (airports.. .gov buildings... Disney). I also carry a minimal IFAK as "gun free zones" have a strange way of attracting crazies set on violence. Pic below of my last visit to an airport. Pen in bag.

Extra credit to anyone who can recognize the airport by the hideous carpet.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy in NH View Post
    I was also going to suggest carrying a folder as a fixed blade.
    Welded or pinned, it's no longer a folder, which might cause more problems than it's worth in a state or NPE where carry of a folder in a pocket is fine, but a non-folder of the same size wouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Welded or pinned, it's no longer a folder, which might cause more problems than it's worth in a state or NPE where carry of a folder in a pocket is fine, but a non-folder of the same size wouldn't be.
    I never suggested welding or pinning.

Lock it open, put it in a sheath and carry it.
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

User Tag List