Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Folding blades under 2.5 inches and other NPE questions

Site Supporter

Folding blades under 2.5 inches and other NPE questions

My question boils down to what are the best tools to carry for defense when working in a very NPE.

I work on a military base in Virginia. My work days consist of 16 hours of NPE carry, 12 on base and a two hour commute each way. Due to state law or base regs during that time I can't have a firearm, pepper spray, fixed blade, or folding blade over 2.5".

A while back I purchased a pair of Spyderco Cat folders but decided without training they are probably more dangerous to me so right now I just carry my Swiss Army Tinkerer and a steel pen. I am planning on taking class on knife skills this year and am attending Ellifritz's ground fighting class and ECQC this year to work on the unarmed part.

I also carry a Streamlight Microstream on my body, really more of a tool like the SAK, and carry a small backpack that has a Dark Angel trauma kit and a Streamlight Protac-HL strapped to the outside. I keep a wooden cane (a 3' "whip" cane from tractor supply) in my car for when my back acts up, I guess I could lug it around but until I can get some basic training in using it I'm not sure I can justify carrying it when my back isn't on the fritz.

I know I need to work on my unarmed skills but at the moment I'm not able to get to a dojo on a regular basis. My fitness is also lacking which is something I do plan on hitting hard this year.

Are there better options than the Spyderco Cat for folding knives under 2.5"? I should probably start carrying a defensive (or is it offensive?) flashlight on my person specifically for self protection, any recommendations on that?

I put this in the edged section because of my knife question but if it belongs somewhere else please move it to the appropriate sub forum.

Site Supporter
    My favorite NPE is not a knife but a foster coin purse sap and a surefire pen. A long time ago a spyderco delica was ok for airplane travel but has not been since 911. I have not found a blade I like for NPE carry yet .perhaps a paring knife in your lunch box. Maybe a tool box with a D cell maglite, a hammer and a Phillips screw driver to fix your chair at work. I have seen suggestions for common tools along with 550 cord to tie door knobs closed and wedges for doors. For decades I kept a large maglite, a pocket mask and an umbrella in the drivers side door pocket of my vehicles. Sadly my new truck doesn't have a pocket
    Last edited by Poconnor; 01-18-2017 at 06:36 AM.

I'm a big fan of the DPX Heat series for NPE carry. It's got a sub 2.5 inch blade, and it's plenty beefy as well; it doesn't feel in the hand like a small folder.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/RPD...tanium-handles

The blade itself, at that size, is fairly unimportant. The training for implementing such a small tool is very important however.

You can get a folding blade welded in place (or drilled) and get a sheath made up for it. I'd also suggest picking up something really small like a TDI LDK mini as it it short enough to be worn in discreet places.

Consider getting yourself a monkey fist of some sort - I know the jacks are the hot thing right now around here, but I know locally even having a "change purse" that looks like a jack is still a jack. They are illegal to posses, so if you use one on someone you may still be charged.

Just a note on small blade use. 2.5" is plenty to do damage, but you have to know what to target and not just swing randomly. Find an instructor who understands compression strikes with small blades and how to teach them properly.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the suggestions, definitely a couple things to look at.

Site Supporter
    I work in an NPE, but am allowed to carry a "reasonable" blade. I carried a stainless Delica, and got a few raised eyebrows. I got a Sage 2, and it apparently carries more discretely, despite being almost exactly the same size. Lately, I've been carrying a the Sage and/or a Dragonfly. I also carry a Surefire 6P. I actually think the flashlight fist-load/bludgeon is a better impact tool than the little knives are people cutters. I could be wrong.

In my classroom/office space, I keep a variety of toys and sports equipment. There may or may not be a t-ball bat in there. My students play with that stuff regularly. You do what you can with what you can have.
    Last edited by Duelist; 01-18-2017 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    My question boils down to what are the best tools to carry for defense when working in a very NPE.
    Non-permissive environments is what they make improvised weapons for. There might be a class for that. In any event, Google is your friend.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 01-18-2017 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Speling

I'm not a fan of karambits in general, but I believe both of the Spyderco versions are sub 2.5" and lock up tightly. The blade shape is great if you use a knife for general utility cutting boxes, rope, carpet stuff.

There are a bunch of Cold Steel mini models at the blade length you need, and the Triad lock is super sturdy. I would gave no problem carrying one locked open in a sheath and considering it a fixed blade for purposes that don't involve stabbing sheet metal. I think this is a good option in your situation.

If your locality isn't all up in peoples grills about a sap or blackjack, that would be my pick hands down. Coin purse whacker.

If you are handy with needle and thread, you could stitch some lead shot into a ball cap style hat for a good surprise sap.

Get a doctor to sign off on use of a can for your back issues is also an excellent way to stay armed that NO ONE will mess with you on if you work your phrasing right...

Site Supporter
    Improvised weapons are a great point, I'll have to think on that. I heard a podcast where Steve Fisher discussed improving and that is a great tool NPE or not.

I work on a military base so I'm not willing to risk carrying a folder open, in the unlikely chance it is seen I don't think it would pass the smell test. I work with PMO and could probably get a pass if I was caught but I'm not willing to risk my job to skirt the rules. My understanding is that Virginia also precludes fixed blades.

Locally FPF offers a class on basic knife skills that covers folders, I hope to take it this year.

I really like the idea of carrying my cane except for two points. First is that I don't always need it and I would feel a little "foppish" using it as a walking stick on my good days, which are most of the time. Second is the difficulty in finding good training but that is something I just need to keep looking for.

Site Supporter
    Steve Tarani puts on a great improvised weapons class. He covers using everyday items such as pens, belts, shirts, scarfs, small flashlights, sticks, etc. to defend yourself. More information can be found here:

https://stevetarani.com/courses/unar...istic-weapons/

User Tag List