Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A quicky revolver-centricreport from SHOT

I also had not had time to mention the the new Federal 38 Spl HST +P bonded hollow quasi wadcutter round. There's a thread over in ammo mentioning it, but it will be a serious contender load for folks that do +P loads.

Thanks for the info. Now to save my pennies.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Two questions if you know. 2 piece or one piece barrel? DX style front sight or do you have to drive the pin out to replace the front sight?

I believe the front sight is held in place with a set screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I believe the front sight is held in place with a set screw.
    That's the Cobra front sight - he's referring to the new S&Ws

Sorry I fell off the map for a week there. My computer took a dump on me at SHOT & I've been avalanched with work at the shop since returning. Here's a hopefully clear photo of the crane lock setup on the new shorty 66 & 69.
    Name:  TripleLock 66.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  25.9 KB
    Last edited by Buckshot; 01-26-2017 at 06:43 PM.

That looks interesting; bigger burrets, etc.

Have you done much shooting with those? I wonder how well they will "hold"?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    Embarassed to say I didn't look at the front sight attachment. It is a one piece barrel, though.

Here's something I'm REALLY embarassed about not noticing yesterday - the 2.75" 66 & 69 are TRIPLE LOCKS! They have a nicely engineered horizontal ball bearing crane lock mechanism.
    Does the crane lock on these new guns augment or replace the lock up at the end of the ejector rod? I read somewhere this wasn't an additional lock, but replaced the lock up at the end of the ejector rod. I dunno. Either way, it should be stronger, but if it augments rather than replaces better still. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Does the crane lock on these new guns augment or replace the lock up at the end of the ejector rod? I read somewhere this wasn't an additional lock, but replaced the lock up at the end of the ejector rod. I dunno. Either way, it should be stronger, but if it augments rather than replaces better still. Thanks.
    Going by the picture he posted there is no lock for the extractor rod. So it's a replacement not 'in addition to'.

S&W has done that with a few different models in recent history. All the recent guns with crane locks also removed the lock for the extractor rod.

edit: No classic/DX front sight either.
    Last edited by jh9; 01-28-2017 at 09:13 AM.

User Tag List