Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Former internal affairs head at CBP alleges cartel members have been hired as agents

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    There may have been some shitbags in his class or the classes that were there while he was there but I've never heard of anything like this...I've got a few buddies up there currently as instructors. There is only one case I'm aware of of a cartel plant getting hired, she was weeded out pretty soon after graduating. I'm sure there has been plenty that have fallen through the cracks...we're a very large agency.
    I've been around and even worked with my share of bad actors within my own agencies and other outfits that I worked alongside. It's disappointing and disheartening to say the least. Especially if any of these folks were on a team you were a member of or have been to your home. But these were always individuals who either decided to go rogue on their own or who were recruited by criminal organizations such as the cartel or other criminal enterprise...

...The prospect of any of our agencies becoming infiltrated on a wholesale level is hard to conceive and I hope that these reports are blown out of proportion.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I've heard the percentage of people in the general public that are criminals is right around 3%. LE hires from the general public. Even if through background investigations we weed out most of thoes we might still be left with 1% that get through. Wether they know they are going to be dirty from the start or go that way eventually it doesn't really matter. In an agency of 20,000...that's 200 Agents. That's a lot of shitbags...I'd imagine thoes #'S may be pretty close throughout most of the LE & .Mil world.

I've heard the percentage of people in the general public that are criminals is right around 3%. LE hires from the general public. Even if through background investigations we weed out most of thoes we might still be left with 1% that get through. Wether they know they are going to be dirty from the start or go that way eventually it doesn't really matter. In an agency of 20,000...that's 200 Agents. That's a lot of shitbags...I'd imagine thoes #'S may be pretty close throughout most of the LE & .Mil world.
    On that note the Sheriff I retired under is currently wearing an ankle bracelet so...

Yea, I heard my Supe at my old station just got popped ripping dope loads from the Cartels...that's gonna hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    ...and there is currently a bill in Congress to dissolve the ATF and fold all of the duties and employees into the FBI and DEA. That's going to get sporty.
    On a complete tangent.......I recall speculation that this was a factor in the decision to launch the Branch Davidian raid. To strut their stuff in front of the cameras.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Yea, I heard my Supe at my old station just got popped ripping dope loads from the Cartels...that's gonna hurt.
    Getting busted by law enforcement is probably the least of his worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Tomsheck was the assistant commissioner of the CBP Office of Internal Affairs from June 2006 to June 2014, overseeing use-of-force investigations. Tomsheck was removed from his post in June 2014. He says it was because he was too aggressive in pursuing excessive use-of-force cases.
    I'm sure the border patrol has it's share of turds. I'm also pretty sure the sky isn't falling.

Here's a guy that made a career out of breaking good agents backs. He probably got relieved for abusing his position and now he'll cry wolf about anything.

Unlike television, the guys that are getting hemmed up for excessive force and the infiltrators from organized criminal organizations are usually at two different ends of the spectrum. There are some high profile exceptions. The hard workers out in the field are the ones picking up excessive force complaints. Infiltrators need to stay off the radar and work their way into administrative positions where they can gather intelligence and disrupt operations. Outside of water cooler talk, what does the guy that's investigating use of force really have to do with investigating cartel infiltration into the Border Patrol?

Really what the cartels want are someone like Tomsheck. A person like that is toxic to the morale of an organization, highly disruptive to day-to-day operations, can get hard workers removed from their post, and dissuade others from working, all in the name of "justice". What kind of infiltrator is better than that? If he is on the BP's side what does that say?
    Last edited by txdpd; 01-21-2017 at 09:09 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Supreme Court seems split in case of Mexican boy shot dead by border agent

The Supreme Court is considering whether noncitizens who are injured or killed outside the United States can have their day in American courts. A decision in Hernandez v. Mesa, 15-118, is expected by late June.
    http://www.pressherald.com/2017/02/2...-border-agent/

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. (Then beat 'em.) I'd like to hear what our brethren have to say on the allegations contained in this report before coming to any conclusions.
    I agree. Tomsheck said he was fired for pursuing aggressive use of force complaints, which does not sound kosher. Even if it is true, I'd sure like to know how he aggressively protected his cops from dirt bags who wanted to murder them.

Quote Originally Posted by SigShooter View Post
    I agree. Tomsheck said he was fired for pursuing aggressive use of force complaints, which does not sound kosher. Even if it is true, I'd sure like to know how he aggressively protected his cops from dirt bags who wanted to murder them.
    Nothing would shock me. I've had a few IA investigations during my career. One because a CI complained that I was putting too much pressure on him to record discussions with co-conspirators. Right...I should have relied on him simply telling me the truth.

One because a female co-worker was offended by a private discussion (she eavesdropped on) I was having with another agent during which we traded quasi-ethnic insults over my telling him I couldn't use him in an undercover capacity in an arms smuggling investigation. (He was a Muslim born in Lebanon...me, not so much. We were friends and colleagues having each other on.)

And one because some idiot Inspector at an airport thought I must be facilitating the illegal importation of balisong knives because a knife maker friend from France showed my business card to the Inspector and asked him if he could get someone to determine if bringing one in for demonstration purposes at the "Blade Show" could qualify for an exception.

All were adjudicated in my favor but the noose of political correctness and having one's hands and feet bound grew ever tighter from the 80's onward. I can't say anything would surprise me anymore. One thing I do know is that being right is not necessarily a sufficient defense.
    Last edited by blues; 02-23-2017 at 11:10 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List