Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Performance vs. Preference

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Is there a series of test you would use to help make the decision between two platforms?
    For me Bill Drills at various distances is usually how I judge my ability to control recoil, read the sights and work the trigger. Plus it's a simple, fast and easy to log, drill.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

I shot slightly better scores on average with a Colt Gov't Model Series 70 and even the S&W 6906 on the job...but the Colt was less reliable from a functional point of view and the S&W was a pain in the ass to field strip and maintain (in my humble opinion).

The G19 and 26 combine everything I like in a combat firearm. Simple manual of arms, capacity, accuracy, no manual safety, high speed from draw to putting rounds on target and ease of maintenance. I've yet to find another firearm that has convinced me that it was time to shelve the Glocks. Sexier looking? Certainly. More ergonomic? No doubt. But when all is said and done nothing has dethroned the Glock as the firearm I'd want with me when the SHTF. And where the rubber meets the road is all that counts. The rest is recreation from my limited point of view.
    Last edited by blues; 01-17-2017 at 07:57 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

As others have stated before ,if performance is the end objective all of us would be shooting Glock 17s or 19s.

But why do we carry guns? To protect ourselves from death or injury. Yet dying in a hail of bullets ain't nowhere near the top of things actually likely to kill a law abiding American. If performance really was the top of the goal chart, we'd sell our guns and hit the gym posthaste. Next we'd buy Volvos and take driving instruction.

Lastly we'd never eat another fast food item ever. Or touch another bottle of booze.

Which is why I'm glad to own a V8 Camaro, carry a Beretta , drink Guiness and eat Qdoba periodically. Because life's short.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I am a bit different on this. I judge "performance" much different than most. For pure technical shooting performance....it's a factor. How about your performance in not shooting? Operating controls in your environment? Ability to use it in conjunction with a hand held white light? Margin of error performance for screwing up and being human? Long term reliability? Performance at remaining concealed in NPE environments. How do the controls work for you both pre and Post shooting? How is your handling performance for administrative duties like loading, unloading, and loaded chamber verification. How about the magazine performance and all that goes into that....so....yea, I like the best performing gun for me, but I have a far more diverse set of criteria for exactly what that is versus a timer and a few drills.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    My wife has selected platform B as her desired gun, so it has that going for it.
    I would think this would sway the end result. Being able to share a platform has its benefits.

I will go through and start running some more drills. I hadn't thought to run a Bill Drill, I've been focusing so much on accuracy that I need to go back and re-evaluate a pure speed drill.

I gotta create a better plan to track my shooting, not just keeping a couple targets from the range with numbers scribbled on them..

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I am a bit different on this. I judge "performance" much different than most. For pure technical shooting performance....it's a factor. How about your performance in not shooting? Operating controls in your environment? Ability to use it in conjunction with a hand held white light? Margin of error performance for screwing up and being human? Long term reliability? Performance at remaining concealed in NPE environments. How do the controls work for you both pre and Post shooting? How is your handling performance for administrative duties like loading, unloading, and loaded chamber verification. How about the magazine performance and all that goes into that....so....yea, I like the best performing gun for me, but I have a far more diverse set of criteria for exactly what that is versus a timer and a few drills.

Good points.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

A lot of this is why I'm even waffling back and forth in my head. I have a familiarity that I don't necessarily want to give up on swapping platforms.
    But, I'd like to maintain common resources for the sake my wife simply because I know that she isn't going to invest as much time as I am in learning the nuances of specific platform.

For me,

Don't pick hardware to fix a problem that occurs before or after the gunfight at the expense of gunfight performance. Gunfight performance is a race against a clock where the clock is controlled by fate, the bad guy, etc. What happens before and after the gunfight is controlled by you. i.e. you can make sure to train/allow for it.

Choose what you shoot well, practice to shoot it better. Get to your genetic potential in those things that happen before, during and after the gunfight with the idea to not survive but to excel in all areas.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Using your criteria, DB, I personally would not alter my choice and I don't see your criteria or parameters as being different from what others would utilize even if not itemized in the above posts. Most of us who have gone through a career in LE have had to deal with all or most of the above in one form or another.

That said, I think your laundry list of considerations is well articulated...especially for those whose day to day life and work doesn't necessarily include employing a firearm.
    Last edited by blues; 01-17-2017 at 10:01 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List