Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Performance vs. Preference

Performance vs. Preference

For the sake of this discussion, let's assume that dollar amount is irrelevant and that you're equally invested in 2 platforms. Let's also assume that concealment ability, weight and capacity are the same.

How many of you carry/shoot a platform based on preference(whether it is aesthetic appeal, 'Murica!, metal v plastic, caliber, other/etc.), but shoot a different platform better in regards to speed and accuracy?

I put this in the Software section, because if we were making Hardware decisions logic would dictate we choose the one that we perform better with.

Now for my take; I'm at a personal impasse because I'm realizing that my chosen platform (platform A) doesn't give me the performance that platform (platform B) does. I enjoy platform A and shoot it OK (PR/FAST 6.3, On Demand/FAST 6.9, PR/3x5 index card at 7 yards 1.38, OD/3x5 Index 1.7, my B8 accuracy at 25 yards is in the low 90s). I've been shooting platform A for the last 4 years with some smatterings of 1911 for range masturbation, so not exclusively. But, in dabbling with platform B since the first part of the year, I'm doing on demand 3x5 index cards hits in 1.5sec. I'm just not enamored in platform B.

Sometimes first world adult problems are hard, haha.

So in four years you're at 1.7 with a gun you like better than the one you're shooting .2 faster after a few weeks? I'd give it at least a few more months - - you may either grow to love the new one or get below 1 second, which would make the decision easier.

I got my first striker-fired pistol (HKvp9) just before Christmas after shooting a Colt 1911 Officer for years. Best advice I got: "Put your 1911 away for awhile until you get used to the difference, particularly the trigger."

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I carry what I shoot best in parameters that matter to me. I don't have much ego tied up in my chosen gun. I would rather shoot Glock, because I get one for free and if I use it for realsies they give me another one. I can shoot the Glock if I need to, but I shoot the Sig better and faster. So, I pay the money and carry the Sig. When we carried Gen 2 Glocks without the finger grooves, I carried the Glock. When we go to the new "M" Glock, now perhaps in the fall, I'll re-evaluate. If I shoot the new no-finger-groove Glock equally or better, I'll switch. If not, I'll stay with Sig.

I've been evaluating a Shield to replace my LCR. I shoot it worse. The LCR with the rubber grip is easier for me to control, the front sight is easier to track, and I shoot it better by ANY metric so far. So, I stick with the LCR despite the smaller capacity, I have to buy my own ammo, etc.

Aesthetics have zero to do with functionality and should in no way affect your choice. "Feel" should also have very little affect on your choice.

For most people a Glock 19 or 17 will be the pinnacle for most people who carry concealed, as it delivers fairly high marks on all the areas where one might question what firearm to get and carry.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I'll take performance all day and twice on Sunday. It's why I'm still using a G19, despite the fact I really DON'T like GLOCKs at all...

Performance is primary for me, and that includes reliability, and other considerations like ease of repair, parts availability, etc.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    For the sake of this discussion, let's assume that dollar amount is irrelevant and that you're equally invested in 2 platforms. Let's also assume that concealment ability, weight and capacity are the same.

How many of you carry/shoot a platform based on preference(whether it is aesthetic appeal, 'Murica!, metal v plastic, caliber, other/etc.), but shoot a different platform better in regards to speed and accuracy?
    The pistol that I have my absolute best performances with is a 1911. If I were to follow my mantra of; only performance counts, I would carry a 1911 everyday all day. I tried to carry a M&P9 because the grip angle is the same as the 1911. We all know the M&P9 accuracy issues so that won't work for me.

I went with the 92A1 as a preference because it gives me many of the things I like in a 1911, with more capacity.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

Is there a series of test you would use to help make the decision between two platforms?

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Is there a series of test you would use to help make the decision between two platforms?
    My wife has selected platform B as her desired gun, so it has that going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    The pistol that I have my absolute best performances with is a 1911.
    This is precisely why I am moving back to the 1911.
    C Class shooter.

User Tag List