Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Performance vs. Preference

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    I think of it using my backpacking/trekking analogy. I started carrying a loaded 25 pound backpack as a base weight(no food/water). Not bad. I enjoyed backpacking and could still be carrying 25 pounds. But with slow incremental improvements during practice and experience I now carry a pack with a base weight of 7 pounds. I can do daily and cumulative distances and elevations that I simply couldn't do with 25 pound base weight. I didn't make that reduction by cutting one thing, but everything.
    I don't want to clutter up this thread, but I'd love to see you start one on how you cut that much weight backpacking.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I don't want to clutter up this thread, but I'd love to see you start one on how you cut that much weight backpacking.

No problem. It looks like the Gallery in the general/misc section is where all the pet, wrist watch threads go. As long as the mods don't care I will put the backpack list there. The stuff is in the garage for the winter so give me a couple days to drag it out. I will take a pic, weigh it and give you a list of what I currently use. I will start the thread over there right now and give you a few things to look at on the net.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

I've been considering this a lot lately. I bought a P229 Legion when they first came out, and it is by a fairly wide margin my favorite handgun. I have put a year of solid practice into it, and wore out a trigger bar spring or two from dry fire. Anyway after all of that, I can still not shoot it at the same level as a Glock 19. Up to about .50 splits things are pretty equal, but when I step on the gas the sights on the Glock fall into a nice cadence, while I have to struggle with the SIG.

I do not like Glocks, for a variety of reasons, but I have switched over to a 17/19 for carry because I can just run them better. It pains me to say that

Would some of you who don't like Glocks for "various reasons" but still elect to carry them please share the reasons why you don't like them?

(If you are required to carry a Glock for work and opt to carry a Glock off duty to maintain continuity of platform and training, I get it. Or if you can only get parts for Glocks where you live, or parts and accessories at a reasonable price... I can see that as well.)

I'm just trying to understand, absent such reasons, why someone would choose to carry a Glock if he didn't like them and was free to choose another firearm in its stead.
    Last edited by blues; 01-24-2017 at 12:10 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Sure. But this will come across as Glock bashing. This is just my own experience though and what I have based my decisions on.

Bottom line up front: inconsistent build quality/tolerance stacking, poor customer service, lack of accountability.

I have had more issue with Glocks than all other makes combined. I've had 3 problem G19s that exhibited various levels of BTF and stovepiping. One was fixed by swapping out different factory extractors until it worked, the other two would not run regardless of the parts that I swapped in, including all steps on LL's post. Glock CS treated me like garbage, and continued to deny the well-documented problem. I am normally pretty good at dealing with CS and do not get upset, but I met my match with Glock CS. I have not called them since. Contrast this with SIG who sent me a prepaid label because I didn't like that my P229 was hitting high with my ammo, and you can see why I prefer one over the other. BUT, my 4th and latest 19 runs like a top, and I shoot it very well (for my skill level). So I carry it. I'm not looking forward to finding a 2nd G19 that runs as a backup. Not with my luck with Glocks.

Thank you, Doc, for the reply. I don't think that an honest answer to a question should ever be perceived as bashing. The truth is the truth and no one should run from it nor be afraid to face it.

I think the experience you have relayed, (and others like it with reports of BTF and other issues), is what has held me back from purchasing an extra Glock or two to back up my 1988 vintage G19 and my 1995 / 1996 vintage G26. They have been virtually flawless and other than agency mandated NY trigger swaps back in the day, and an OEM RSA replacement on the G19, they remain as they originally came from the factory.

Since neither has a rail, I'm still considering a new G19 or G17 as a dedicated nightstand gun which will be outfitted with a white light. That same firearm could then be used as a "spare" in the event one of the other two goes down or is taken into evidence. Probably make more sense to have a spare G19 under those circumstances.

Anyway, stories like yours are what have held me back. Maybe I should wait and see what Gen5 brings to the table.
    Last edited by blues; 01-24-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Blues, I think you will be happy with a new Gen 4 Glock 17.

Quote Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
    Blues, I think you will be happy with a new Gen 4 Glock 17.
    Thanks, hubcap. I've never owned one. I can't remember if I've ever even borrowed someone else's to try at the range in years past.

One of these days I've got to try one out in my DSG AIWB and see if I can pull off concealing one. (No problems with the 19 nor the 26, obviously.)

Site Supporter
    The way I see it, the better I perform with a given platform, the more I prefer it. Another way to look at this is through the lens of "passion of the gun". It is a tautology either way. Pick what you like and then practice, practice, practice.

Here is my near constant dilemma.

I highly prefer the Beretta 92. In SA this is easy to shoot good. The DA takes a lot of effort (for me) to maintain performance to my standard (6-7" groups at 25 yds, inside 3 sec, draw from concealment, consistently).

I've trained for a full year with Glocks and found my performance to my standards improve tremendously. I've come to like the Glock platform because of its performance.

Things change in life..The other characteristics involved in being an armed person are increasing in importance as a matter of priority. This is akin to what DB was mentioning. The additional controls in a DA gun and the 92 with a manual safety are now much more important. So I have to man up and train harder to make the DA shots consistently.

This isn't an easy decision. I could easily go back to a much lighter and user friendly platform like the Glock that I already perform well with.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    This isn't an easy decision.
    Tell me about it!

I'm going to hit the range again this week/weekend. When I went last weekend the personal record & median time delta between platform A & platform B was gone, with my median times going back towards my platform I've used for the last few years. My metric is hits on a 3x5 index card at 7 yards.

One thing some more extensive use with platform B has shown me in the last week is that with the way I grip the pistol coming out of the holster, rubs my middle finger knuckle into a really good blister after about a half hour.

User Tag List