Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Plug in for Ned's 1911 wizardry

Site Supporter
    Interesting product for sure. I wonder if pretty much any proficient 1911 gunsmith could be expected to perform the install?

That would be my expectation otherwise the product wouldn't have much marketability right? I expect if the smith can do a proper trigger fit/install then they would be able to install this product.

Hi Guys--

Heard there were some questions-- let's see if I can adequately answer them:

The Fallarrest™ set is intended for installation by a gunsmith who knows the 1911, although there is nothing additional to be fitted, finessed, or timed or, really, even considered. There is nothing beyond the normal steps involved in changing out a hammer and safety, and the fitting thereof, including checking sear engagement and that the safety is perfectly blocking the sear, and that there is no hammer follow.

The engagements that produce the arresting feature are what you might call gross engagements. Not like a 1911 sear engagement which is fine, slight, and dependent upon perfect angles, step dimensions, and smooth finishes. The arresting feature is more like one ship's anchor hooking into another.

The only "extra" work would be if a smaller paddle was desired. I wanted to start simple by not offering paddles in "XXL, XL, X, M, MS, SM, ES". So it's pretty big, but easily customized to size "JR" (Just Right). The paddle got a lot of attention in design to be more ergonomic than many I see out there, and to lend itself to being personalized.

Sorry to say I won't be offering the service of installing these, just too many 1911 and AR15 things on my plate, plus training and writing. But as I say there are no extra complications in installing. I would like to suggest, if upgrading from factory parts, go all the way and also get a primo sear and disconnector from a reputable source. Like, oh, what's that one place now.... EWG? No, GWE.... naw, that's not it.... GEW? It'll come to me......

At some point I expect to also offer the above EGW parts with the Fallarrest™ set, and yes, EGW may be offering the Fallarrest™ set but all these things take time, and I was anxious to get this out there.

There area couple other questions yet to be asked.... or comments / observations.... not really relevant to the mechanics of it but I thought it'd be fun to see how and when they occur so someone.

Ned, great to see you here! Been quite a while since the days of 1911forum and Pistolsmith forum

Thanks Shane, always good to be seen!

Impressive and seems like a nombrainer for any 1911 owner who uses their 1911. I hope to see more about these here, I know ToddG would have been all over this.
    #RESIST

Hey Ned quick question, I know you mentioned this development might take some time but is there a rough estimate on availability?

Just curious like 6mo or a year plus type thing?

Also glad to see you posting! Please don't be a stranger, there are many here that would love to see and read your contributions!

Not under development..... fully developed, all made and ready to ship.

Ned is a genius and a great, great dude.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post
    Ned is a genius and a great, great dude.
    Truly a great guy, and gunsmith, but . . .

. . . I don't know - - - can you call someone who owns a Triumph TR7 a "genius"?

User Tag List