Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC Police Body Cameras Will Be Off as Officers Monitor Inauguration Protests

DC Police Body Cameras Will Be Off as Officers Monitor Inauguration Protests

Civil rights groups are taking steps to ensure police respect the constitutional rights of demonstrators at the presidential inauguration. News 4's Mark Segraves reports on why D.C. police officers' body cameras often will be off, and how citizens will be able to record the officers.
    http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...410581715.html

Oh that'll end well. They should be ON, and every second of footage should be posted on Youtube post inauguration.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

If all the democrats stay home as they are threatening (Yes Please!) then the whole affair should be very orderly and incident free.

That ACLU lady wants it both ways, it seems. She's arguing that you should be able to record the police in public spaces where there is no expectation of privacy, but that they shouldn't be able to record you back. That's not logical. Either nobody can record anybody, or everybody can record everybody, right?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    That ACLU lady wants it both ways, it seems. She's arguing that you should be able to record the police in public spaces where there is no expectation of privacy, but that they shouldn't be able to record you back. That's not logical. Either nobody can record anybody, or everybody can record everybody, right?
    Hmmm...trees falling in the forest...

...If a body camera is worn by a police officer but doesn't get turned on, did anything happen?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

So the cameras are only good when they're convenient for your sham story... Fuck those people, cameras on, capture the nutjobs on film.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

This is a stupid decision.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    This is a stupid decision.
    Not for the Democrats.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

This isn't new. There's already a BLM document which protests the use of police body cams and thedesire to create a surveillance state. The reality is that the camera almost always shows that the officers were telling the truth and acted lawfully. It's a lot more convenient to allege wrongdoing when there is no contravening evidence.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

As a libertarian, I can understand the concerns about using recordings to build a data base for an enemies list or something. (Surprised Obama didn't have that going on at Tea Party rallies, SHOT, NRA Annual Meetings, etc...)
    However.
    Given what I understand (largely based on what I have read here) about the administrative burden of trying to archive one department's footage of actual "interactions", let alone "Turn it on at start of shift and let it roll" I think the fears are overblown, at this point.
    Given2 the nature of some of the calls to disrupt the Inauguration, many of which seem to be calling for violence, I think letting the cameras roll would be justified in this case.
    Too bad none of the political hacks in place actually care about the jobs they're supposed to be doing.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List