Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFI: Hunting Rifle Match

To the OP - I did manage to find Aagard's piece about the Keneyathalon he shot. PM me if you want details.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I'm on our local club's board of directors and have been asked to put together a hunting rifle match. The idea is for a match that would simulate hunting scenarios using "standard" big game hunting rifles. This would not be a test of physical conditioning. We have plenty of distance, gobs of steel targets, and some props that could be used for support. Has anyone run and/or participated in something like this? If so, I'd love your input as to CoF, scoring, equipment restrictions, time limits, other rules, round count, etc. From the Big Empty, ELN.
    Intrigued. Please update as this develops.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I shot a 3D archery series that scored targets something like this: 5 points for X ring, 3 points for vitals, 0 points for a miss and -10 points for a hit outside of the vitals that could just wound the animal. You wouldn't be able to shoot it on steel but could throw some paper targets in and make it work.

I think if you just ran some basic drills for score it could work.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/courses.htm#Rifle

Site Supporter
    Thanks guys. My initial thought is to put out 5 steel targets from 100 - 500 yards. I would have 5 shooting positions (stages) ranging from braced standing to prone supported. Each shooter would have 2 minutes to engage the 5 targets from each of the 5 stations. Shooter would unload and show clear after shooting each stage. Scoring would be determined by number of targets hit. Tie breaker would be shots fired. Unloaded rifle must weight less than 9 pounds. No bipods, tripods, shooting sticks, bags, etc. Shooters must use only slings and the props for support. Comments? With best regards from the Big Empty, ELN.

Site Supporter
    Gentlemen - This is my second draft. I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks.

LVSA HUNTING RIFLE MATCH 2.0

OVERVIEW: The purpose of the match is to test shooting skills commonly used when hunting big game in Wyoming with readily available rifles and optics, at realistic distances, and from field positions.

SAFETY: All shooters will abide by the 4 rules: 1) All guns are always loaded. 2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. 3) Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target. 4) Be sure of your target and what is around it.

AMMUNITION: Must be .223 - .458 caliber centerfire. Muzzle velocity must be < 3000 fps to avoid steel target damage. No armor piercing, steel core, solid copper, or incendiary bullets. Match director has discretion to ban loads that he determines may damage steel targets.

CLASSIC RIFLE CLASS: Bolt, lever, pump, and single shot rifles only. Maximum 5 round magazine. Maximum 10 pounds unloaded.

OPEN RIFLE CLASS: Any rifle not within classic rifle class.

SHOOTING AIDS: Shooting slings permitted. No bipods, tripods, shooting sticks, bags, or other shooting aids.

TARGETS: 5 steel targets will be erected. 1 each at 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards. Target sizes will range from approximately 8” – 15” to replicate the size of vital zones from antelope to moose.

SHOOTING STATIONS: 5 shooting stations will be utilized. 1) Standing braced using vertical support. 2) Horizontal barrel. 3) Vertical barrel. 4) Simulated barbed wire fence. 5) Supported prone.

Shooter will stand behind shooting station. On command “make ready”, shooter will load rifle and assume “port arms” position. On command “fire” shooter will have 2 minutes to engage the 5 targets. Shooter must use the provided props for support. Targets must be engaged in sequential order from near to far. Upon conclusion, shooter will unload and show clear. Rotate in next shooter and repeat process. Move to next station. Repeat.

SCORING: Scoring will be determined by number of targets hit. Tie breaker is fewer misses. Perfect score: 25 (hits)/0 (misses).

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Gentlemen - This is my second draft. I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks.

LVSA HUNTING RIFLE MATCH 2.0
    Would it be too much of a cluster or even worth it to perhaps put an optic magnification limit on the Classic Class?
    Last edited by PNWTO; 02-09-2017 at 09:31 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

SAFETY: All shooters will abide by the 4 rules: 1) All guns are always loaded. 2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. 3) Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target. 4) Be sure of your target and what is around it.
    That's not how you set up safety rules for a competition.

"All rifles will have a chamber flag installed and detachable mags will be removed or non-detachable mags will be kept empty until given the load command by the range officer. Rifles will be cased or slung with muzzles in a safe direction." would be a more correct match safety rule.

AMMUNITION: Must be .223 - .458 caliber centerfire. Muzzle velocity must be < 3000 fps to avoid steel target damage. No armor piercing, steel core, solid copper, or incendiary bullets. Match director has discretion to ban loads that he determines may damage steel targets.
    3000 FPS probably limits some of the .223 loads someone might use (not that most folks would use .223 on antelope) especially if they're using a longer barrel. Is it 3000 at the muzzle or 3000 at 100 yards? There are quite a few other rounds that you're eliminating too.

CLASSIC RIFLE CLASS: Bolt, lever, pump, and single shot rifles only. Maximum 5 round magazine. Maximum 10 pounds unloaded.
    10 pounds seems kind of light when you add a scope.

SHOOTING AIDS: Shooting slings permitted. No bipods, tripods, shooting sticks, bags, or other shooting aids.

TARGETS: 5 steel targets will be erected. 1 each at 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards. Target sizes will range from approximately 8” – 15” to replicate the size of vital zones from antelope to moose.
    No bipod is going to run off a lot of shooters. Not many folks outside of High Power and nut jobs like me do much "long'ish range" shooting without a bipod.

User Tag List