Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watching the front sight.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dravz View Post
    Here's a related question (for TC or anyone else), what is the rationale behind the new types of sights with the whole front sight post being colored and the rear notch being all black?

I understand why you want a high-visibility front sight (mine are painted already), but why nothing on the rears like dots or |_| or whatever?
    It's a personal preference thing. The more the front sight stands out, typically the faster you can pick it up. It can also assist in tracking the sight under recoil. Something bright orange or yellow that is moving at high speed tends to be easier to follow than something that's black...especially if you're shooting at a black target. The black rear is often preferred by folks because they don't want any visual distractions from the rear sight.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    It's a personal preference thing. The more the front sight stands out, typically the faster you can pick it up. It can also assist in tracking the sight under recoil. Something bright orange or yellow that is moving at high speed tends to be easier to follow than something that's black...especially if you're shooting at a black target. The black rear is often preferred by folks because they don't want any visual distractions from the rear sight.
    As always, you've covered it well.

So how do you handle the "double vision" on the target when focusing on the front sights? When I focus on the multiple dot targets, I don't see a blob of a ring, I see two copies of blobby rings all sort of overlapping each other.

Just give up and close one eye? Or keep practicing on ignoring the extra set of rings (and know to always shoot the one on your dominant side)?

The most frustrating thing, is that it is normally the *wrong* blobby target that is actually clearer to see, I guess because that eye doesn't have the gun in the way.

Oh, and I will say - the other benefit to "watch the sight" is that if you really focus on that, it helps keep you from over-thinking and being distracted by your grip, your stance, your weight balance, etc, hopefully letting your muscle memory take over.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ford.304 View Post
    So how do you handle the "double vision" on the target when focusing on the front sights?
    I have the same problem. You can attempt an intermediate focus (picking a focal point beyond the front sight but in front of the target) that allows you to generally have a clear enough sight picture and no double target vision, or you can close or squint one eye to remove the extraneous visual information.

User Tag List