Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Second gun

It's happened to me twice but it was during malfunction drill practice in class. One was during a one-handed clearance so I suspect that the empty bounced off my leg or the slide didn't fully retract.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Speaking of strange malfunctions, we had Louis Awerbuck come put on a Defensive Rifle class for our small group back in 1988. I was shooting a Galil ARM in 5.56 as was another student. At a point, the other student's Galil went down with a dead trigger. We stopped to sort it out and, when the top cover was removed, there was a live 5.56 round in the receiver's lockwork. It was beaten and battered. Somehow, it had gotten in there and, from the looks of it, many subsequent rounds had been fired until it wedged itself into the mechanism in a manner that stopped the gun.

I suspect that it happened during one of the instances of clearing the rifle so that Louis could go forward to demonstrate a point. Later, I tried inducing my identical rifle to do this by clearing the chamber slowly, smartly, in-between, and at every orientation that I could hold the rifle. I was unable to duplicate it.

That Murphy fellow is a son-of-a-bitch.

Rosco
    Last edited by Rosco Benson; 01-16-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Anyone know of this happening in a gunfight?
    This specific malfunction, no. Guns shitting the bed irreparably, yes, several.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Way OT, but, Rex did your G22 have a WML on it, out of curiosity?
    No, it did not, though I know what you are talking about, as I bought my initial pair of G22 pistols when Glock was still denying there was a problem with the G22. One of those G22 pistols, when new, was quite a drama queen, even without a WML. A local armorer recommended I change to heavier magazine springs. Problem solved. Later, of course, Glock quietly upped the poundage in their factory magazine springs. IIRC, the G22 that malf'ed at ECQC was the better one, that had never malf'ed, in any way, until Day One at ECQC. I kept this one the longest, of my several .40 Glocks.

FWIW, I had switched to SIG DAK for better accuracy, not because I did not trust my Glocks's reliability. The DAK trigger was instantly familiar, being so much like a K-Frame DA trigger pull. My first pistol was a 1911, but I had to start my policin's career with a DA revolver, so dedicated myself to learning it, and to this day, long-stroke DA is my least-perishable trigger skill.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-16-2017 at 08:11 PM.

I normally carried a second gun while at work, and during much personal time, from my earliest policin' days, starting in 1984. (Texas did not have legal handgun carry for private citizens before I started wearing the badge.) One night, during the late Eighties, however, I lapsed, probably because I was running late, or such, and did not strap the Model 60 to my ankle. Upon arriving at home, in the morning, I unholstered my Model 58, and heard a metallic rattling from within the 58. I removed the grip panels, and the mainspring fell out, in two pieces. Thankfully, I was able to source a mainspring that day! (The faulty mainspring showed no indication of having been "shaved," or otherwise modified. I did buy the 58 pre-owned; it was an ex-SAPD duty revolver.)

Since that day, I have tended to be somewhat religious about second weapons.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-16-2017 at 08:19 PM.

Is this issue unique to Glocks? I just switched back to a 19 from my completely reliable but more difficult (for me) to shoot P229. Is there something about the Glock that makes it perceptible to this? Is there a way to avoid it?
    Last edited by DocSabo40; 01-18-2017 at 08:27 AM.

I've seen malfunctions of all stripes in all manufacturers of firearms, and all types. Seen the completely reversed brass trick once with a .40 S&W P229 shooter, and our initial roll out of P239 DAKs in 40 was an abortion of epic proportions. Seen all kinds of weird ejection malfunctions with Glocks and 1911s. Have seen so many parts breakages on Berettas it really soured me on the brand. Seen more double feeds with M16/M4/AR variants than I'd ever want to count. Have seen plenty of issues with improperly maintained MP5s. I've personally had three J-frames go tits up on the range - two 940s and one 642. One of my agents managed to break a Mossberg 500 not too long ago.

The only semiauto pistols I've never personally seen fail are HKs. And, I've never seen a Ruger wheelgun fail.

What's the point? Pretty much anything made by man can and will fail. That's why we have backups. Doc - to your question, I wouldn't borrow trouble. If your G19 is running well, it's likely to stay that way. Get a G26 as a BUG, or a second G19 as a "take over" gun if something happens to your primary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    No idea how this happens, but it is not the first time I've seen it and have heard of several more.
    We had to remediate an identical failure on the identical brand last week - took a vice & massive kinetic energy to solve the issue. That Glock did its damndest to actually chamber the case head.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Attachment 13217
    Weird things happen. Everyday somebody wins the lottery. That's why every day on duty as a police officer I carried a second gun and a monadnock d jammer key baton. It allows you to clear these type malfunctions. Plus it really works well removing an uncompliant suspect from a car. If they are holding onto the steering wheel just use the d jammed baton with a wrist lock and they quickly come right out of the car. Not my d jammer. Just a picture I grabbed off the net
    I have been looking for one of those for years. Does anybody know where they might be available?

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have been looking for one of those for years. Does anybody know where they might be available?
    You musta not been looking too hard...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/640...y-chain-silver
    Last edited by blues; 01-18-2017 at 08:19 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List