Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Second gun

Really interesting stuff, Thanks Mr. G.

At ECQC, in 2005, I finished a particular exercise with my SP101, when my G22 malf'ed. I reflexively dropped my G22 into the dirt, and pulled the SP101. My G22 was not broken, but it did not like the 180-grain training ammo I had bought, when unable to find enough 165-grain. (Diagnosis: The heavier-bullet ammo engaged the slide stop, a malfunction not experienced with my usual 165-grain ammo. This was found to be repeatable, so was presumably an out-of-spec slide lock.)

At the lunch break, I switched to my duty rig, and used my P229R DAK to finish the day. The G22 had been my recent prior duty pistol. (DAK was my choice, not a decision by a bureaucrat. DAK mimics a nice DA revolver trigger pull quite nicely.)

I had, prior to this ECQC, defaulted to trying to clear stoppages, but this was not only a hot range, loaded second guns were allowed. I am not proud of dropping the Glock; better to have retained it, while accessing the second gun. The experience did, however, validate my already-established practice of toting two (or more!) weapons. My second gun was likely to be a J-Snub until the late Nineties, then an SP101, with Magnums, until about 2011, gradually moving to multiple 9mm Glocks by about 2013-2014, as .40 S&W and Magnums became a bit much for my aging hands and wrists.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-16-2017 at 01:31 AM.

Way OT, but, Rex did your G22 have a WML on it, out of curiosity?

Site Supporter
    I had a double feed on my AR carbine partway through a carbine stage at a 2 gun match. I'd never had a stoppage I couldn't immediately clear before, but I saw the tangled up mess through the ejection port, and dropped the gun as I went for my pistol and finished the stage with the carbine dangling from its sling.

It took three guys wresting with it to clear the gun. If it had been my only weapon in a real fight, I'd "never have cleared it in my lifetime" (what a great quote!).

Apparently, cheap GI mags with black followers suck. I'd never heard of such a thing before, but someone loaned me a Magpul mag and a GI mag with a Magpul follower to finish the match with, and it was a revelation to me. I still have (and will still buy) GI mags, but I replaced all the followers on the ones I had, and the first thing I do when I get another one is replace the follower. I got Magpul mags, too. That jam has never happened since.
    Last edited by Duelist; 01-16-2017 at 07:33 AM.

Site Supporter
    Name:  IMG_3553.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  18.9 KB
    Weird things happen. Everyday somebody wins the lottery. That's why every day on duty as a police officer I carried a second gun and a monadnock d jammer key baton. It allows you to clear these type malfunctions. Plus it really works well removing an uncompliant suspect from a car. If they are holding onto the steering wheel just use the d jammed baton with a wrist lock and they quickly come right out of the car. Not my d jammer. Just a picture I grabbed off the net
    Last edited by Poconnor; 01-16-2017 at 09:44 AM.

Site Supporter
    duplicate post
    Last edited by Poconnor; 01-16-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Name:  IMG_3553.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  18.9 KB
    Weird things happen. Everyday somebody wins the lottery. That's why every day on duty as a police officer I carried a second gun and a monadnock d jammer key baton. It allows you to clear these type malfunctions. Plus it really works well removing an uncompliant suspect from a car. If they are holding onto the steering wheel just use the d jammed baton with a wrist lock and they quickly come right out of the car. Not my d jammer. Just a picture I grabbed off the net
    I used to carry one daily also. I just relocated it a few days ago

I've had the 180 degree backwards rechambering of a spent case, with a 9mm M&P. The gun was filthy and had seen several thousand rounds since the last cleaning, including at outdoors classes. I suspect the problem was caused by a dirty extractor; it was having other extraction problems as well. Once the extractor was cleaned it's been fine.

Anyone know of this happening in a gunfight?

Site Supporter
    I have had the backwards case on a Glock 19 that was unsolvable by tap, rack and a rain dance. It was during a match with a gun that was not extremely dirty. Another unsolvable Glock malfunction was a case that was impaled on a firing pin that stuck out of the breech. How that happened I have no idea.

I always take two 9 mm Glocks to a class or match.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 01-16-2017 at 12:36 PM.

User Tag List