Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2/3 Border Patrol job applicants fail polygraph test, making hiring difficult

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Unless you outsmart yourself by trying to outsmart the test.
    The way it was explained to me (years after I had the job) is that we got a rating 1-5 from the battery of psych tests and the interview with the shrink. If you got a 4 or 5 you were good to go. If you got a 1-2 you were a no-go but weren't necessarily crazy. Maybe they weren't crazy enough to fit the norm that had been established. 3's were questionable, but could get hired. My best friend on the department scored 3, and all the shrink could say was that they knew he lied or tried to game the system, not that he was unsuitable for the job.

When I took the MMPI it was obvious that they asked the same questions over and over. Knowing that consistency was good, I checked back to make sure I answered consistently. I wouldn't recommend trying to outsmart the rest of a psych eval.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by bpack325 View Post
    I'm going through the background investigation now, with a poly to be scheduled. Never taken one before, but thought I would have no problems (never tried weed, never even had a speeding ticket), but now I'm concerned. Just knowing it's coming has you second guessing yourself. So the current poly CBP is putting on hasn't changed much in spite of the new, expedited hiring process? Sounds like a plan B would be prudent.
    Don't get yourself worked up as it won't help. Go in, stay as calm as you can and answer the questions truthfully. Don't second guess yourself, chances are you'll be fine.

Wishing you the best.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I'm going through the background investigation now, with a poly to be scheduled. Never taken one before, but thought I would have no problems (never tried weed, never even had a speeding ticket), but now I'm concerned. Just knowing it's coming has you second guessing yourself. So the current poly CBP is putting on hasn't changed much in spite of the new, expedited hiring process? Sounds like a plan B would be prudent.
    A plan B is always prudent, regardless of results.

I highly recommend researching polygraphs some to get an idea of how they work. Of course, be completely honest and forthcoming but don't let your examiner BS you. Stick to your guns if they get accusatory about you lying or trying to "manipulate results", but don't get defensive.

Honestly I believe were it not for my prior experience and knowing how bogus these things essentially are, I would've let my examiner work me up and left feeling like crap.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

I was a basket case when I walked into my first poly - had freaked myself completely out. I lucked out in getting a GREAT examiner, who say my state, and walked me calmly through the process before even turning the machine on. Once he talked me down off the ledge, it was a breeze.

You have nothing to worry about, sounds like, so try not to obsess...

Thank you, for a first timer through the process it is a little intimidating - especially with all the press. Still, going to work on that plan B. I'm fortunate enough to have a decent job on hand, but breaking into the federal system appears to have a lot of long term benefits.
    IDPA : A454752
    USPSA : TY91150

...but breaking into the federal system appears to have a lot of long term benefits.
    Depending on agency and location, pay is good to great. For instance, where I live, I'm paid about 25% LESS than a local counterpart detective, but, were I assigned in, say, anywhere EXCEPT NYistan or maybe LA, I'd be making 2-3 times what my counterparts make. Medical is getting more expensive every year, but there are USUALLY a lot of options to pick from (again, location dependent) so you can offset that cost. The retirement ain't what it used to be, and, if any of this year's budget proposals go through, it's going to get worse. TSP as the "backbone" of retirement sounds great, until you look at how TSP responds to market down-turns...

All in all, Federal LE beats working for a living! Just watch Fox News and you'll know how over paid and underworked we are...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    TSP as the "backbone" of retirement sounds great, until you look at how TSP responds to market down-turns...

All in all, Federal LE beats working for a living! Just watch Fox News and you'll know how over paid and underworked we are...
    I understand your point since I retired under CSRS (having declined the generous offer by Uncle to switch over to FERS in 1984 or so...)

That said, the TSP and its very low cost indexing options are still quite good as far as self directed plans go. And the "G" fund is a godsend in many respects and is unique in what it offers backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. (which hopefully will still mean something going forward).

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    That said, the TSP and its very low cost indexing options are still quite good as far as self directed plans go. And the "G" fund is a godsend in many respects and is unique in what it offers backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. (which hopefully will still mean something going forward).
    Agreed. The problem is when you're nearing retirement (like me), and the market is in an upswing. You DON'T want to move your money into "G" because you'll miss all the potential gains the market is making. But, you're one "bubble" away from your retirement savings taking a major dumper. I lost close to 30% in 2007. When some smart financial folks told me we were headed for another down-turn earlier this decade, I moved everything to "G", then missed about a 12% upswing waiting for the drop. It's enough to drive a man to drink (even a non-drinking panty waist like me!).

I would GLADLY trade my TSP for your CSRS pension percentages...
    Last edited by psalms144.1; 08-08-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I would GLADLY trade my TSP for your CSRS pension percentages...
    I understand. On the positive side, the market has been pretty resilient in that there haven't been any long protracted periods before recovery in several years...but one still has to account for (the possibility of) them in one's "investment policy statement".

CSRS has allowed me to assume a lot less risk in my portfolio.

But, back on topic, I hope that our members here that have to sit through a polygraph examination for a position with DHS or other department, pass with flying colors.
    Last edited by blues; 08-08-2017 at 11:52 AM. Reason: fumble fingering

Got my "official results" today regarding my polygraph.

Nothing I didn't expect, but will admit to being annoyed.

We are contacting you regarding your tentative selection for a Border Patrol Agent position with the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

Your tentative selection notification stated that final offers are contingent upon successful completion of all pre-employment requirements, including a favorable polygraph examination. We have been notified by The Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) that you did not complete a favorable polygraph examination; therefore, your tentative offer of employment has been withdrawn.

The decision to withdraw your tentative offer of employment is final. There is no appeal process.

Polygraph results are valid for up to two years and may be applied to future selections.

If you decide to reapply for a position with CBP, the information found in your polygraph examination may be used by the Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) for two years.

Failed polygraph results prevent individuals from being eligible for employment for polygraph required positions for two years from the failed polygraph date.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

User Tag List