Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 2/3 Border Patrol job applicants fail polygraph test, making hiring difficult

One of the most rewarding aspects of the work back in the day was pulling a confession out of a reluctant to give it up criminal who thought he was clever enough that he could lie and outsmart his interrogator. They never quite proved up to that task and would dig themselves deeper with each false statement and the inability to keep track of the their lies.

Outwitting them and using their own words to break down their stories prevented the use of more traditional lie detection methods...

Name:  hqdefault.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  16.3 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    When I took mine for my current agency (20 plus years ago) the (retired officer turned) polygraphist noted my Psych degree and asked what they taught in college about polygraphs. I figured, since I am here to be honest, told him it was basically a pseudoscience somewhat akin to throwing chicken bones on the lid of a 55 gallon drum and there was no empirical evidence that the reactions measured were proof positive of lying.

What followed was a "spirited" 45 minute lecture on the accuracy and efficacy of polygraphs.

I will say, one of the best interviewers I have ever met and been able to talk with was a polygraphist (not the same one as above). But he also realized the primary strength of the machine was not necessarily what it could do, but what the interviewee thought it could detect.
    That's how the "machine" is accurate!

I was three and a half hours on the box for my job and the guy running it was a prick. I walked out thinking there's no way I got the job. I've talked with other guys he interrogated for the hiring process and we all have similar stories. He failed a friend who just retired from my agency. He went to another agency, passed their polygraph, got retested, passed, and hired.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Well I went through their poly, and what a load.

Cliff notes-ish

Arrived promptly, got checked in.

Went over background info (criminal stuff, previous polygraphs). Examiner asked about any questions or concerns. Got somewhat defensive once I mentioned reading recent articles involving CBP's high poly failure. Examiner was insistent on those people obviously not being suited for the agency.

Talked about the science of the polygraph and how it worked. Did a practice run to remind me how it worked. Went on to the actual testing portion. At one point, stopped testing when I swallowed and gave some spill about a voluntary movement and basically I needed to be still.

Short 15 minute break at one point, came back and had questioning more specific to a broader question. After that, testing concluded with examiner informing me that it wasn't looking like I was going to pass. Said I didn't pass a single question they asked in relation to serious crimes, terrorism or contact with foreign nationals. Basically all their questions that weren't directed lies or obvious truths.

Examiner went on to several long stories. Various stories about other applicants who either lied and came clean or were up front about recent issues, some went on and some didn't. Basically trying to integrity check me.

After insisting I had been forthcoming, examiner switched gears and was essentially accusing me of trying to manipulate the test results. Stated they noticed several occasions of me possibly trying to manipulate my results. I would assume these were all points when I swallowed slightly abnormally, based on how my one test abruptly stopped after one such occurrence.

Examiner touched on folks who did research online and had come in trying to utilize techniques they had read/watched in order to cheat the test. Basically if I was doing that and fessed up they could work with me.

Continued to insist I was being forthcoming and was not trying to manipulate my results. Examiner stated my results would be forwarded to their quality control who would review and notify me for possible secondary testing or dismissal from the application process.

Entire process concluded shortly after and I left the facility.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Sorry to hear this. As I mentioned earlier in this thread...if anyone can ever have taken a poly under less stressful conditions than having one's partner administer it, I don't know how.

And even though I told him that he could ask me personal questions and I would give completely honest answers, (since it was just for our own use and his calibration), he told me that one or more of my answers appeared to be deceptive. None were, as I couldn't have been more forthright, and I knew then that I'd never willingly take one and have never had to.

Turned out to be a very worthwhile exercise for both of us. (And he was a very experienced polygrapher for both U.S. Customs and ATF prior.)

Site Supporter
    Uhhhggg. I have my PFT1 in two weeks. I'm not looking forward to this portion.

Where did you take yours?

It really pisses me off that they use this and not more accurate and scientifically sound things like Ouija boards.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Did these polygraphists happen to wear twin lightning bolts on their collars? Sounds like they should have.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Did these polygraphists happen to wear twin lightning bolts on their collars? Sounds like they should have.
    Name:  is-it-safe.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  29.1 KB

"Is it safe?"

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

"Is it safe?"
    Awesome.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

"Is it safe?"
    Nice!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List